Quad & Spendor Speakers

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 297
Is anyone familiar with these speaker lines?

What can you tell me about them?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 405
Rick, I know Quad electrostatics are very expensive: (Aus prices): http://www.campsiehifi.com.au/index.php?apg=products&bpg=item&category=50&brand= 28&bid=552

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 298
Rantz,

Thank you. I wasn't specific enough. I am interested in learning about their mini monitors.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Both have mini monitors that are considered to be very good to excellent. What else do you want to know. Good information on their web sites.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 22
The Quad 11L is a very high rated speaker. Check this out from the British What Hi-Fi? magazine.

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/what11l.pdf

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 300
Thanks Jan and Rob,

I would like to hear from someone who has lived with them, some first hand experience.

I'm looking for some "books" for a multiroom system. I'm curious as to how they compare to say the Dynaudio 42/52's.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1514
Rick,

Directed here from "Oversampling". Thanks.

Both have an excellent reputation. Spendor was one of the select group of BBC LS3/5a makers: neutral, simple, well-made, reference quality studio monitor-type speakers. Quad was once a legend, especially the electrostatic speakers and electronics. Quad is now under new ownership, but exploiting "retro" styling; I do not know what effect that has had on the product itself. Jan V would be the guy to know, and maybe comment.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 302
Thanks to all, now down and dirty, what should I be auditioning @ $1000 a pair U.S. dollars?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
For the Quad bookshelfs, listen to the 12L. A little larger than the 11L, but still very small. My local guy is a Quad dealer, and the whole L series sound fantastic.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 305
Rob,

Thank you again. I am only interested in the 12L. I was offered a pair at a really fair price, pre-owned. If that falls through, I may need the name of your dealer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1531
Hey, Rick, what happened to the Epiphany on Ohm speakers?

There are some words and a photo of the Spendor S3/5 ($1099) in June/July "The Absolute Sound", but it is not very informative, and mostly about what cool guys they are working at that mag.

The June HiFi News is much better, and puts the Spendor S3/5se second in a list of six BBC LS3/5a "wannabees". The first is something called a "Blue Note A-3". If you can't get that "shoot-out" review in NY, I shall gladly scan it and e-mail it.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 306
Thanks John, as always.

I am now in the really critical stage of home evaluation with the Ohms. They definitely need to be 2-3' from rear wall. That just won't work for 2 other rooms in the house.

I am rethinking my whole system. I may move present HT system into dedicated theatre room, and build a new music only stereo system in another room. I have some thoughts, but too early to say for sure. What I am thinking, will put a smile on Jan's face............

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
Rick,

You are most welcome. That arrangement is more or less what I now have. Except the "stereo-only" system incorporates a DVD-V/CD player, and a small TV, for the children, mostly, when the main room is in use. It is neck-and neck which stereo system sounds better, and children's DVDs heard in good stereo can be awesome, for them; much better than poor suround, I suspect. Hearing the words is essential. No centre channel required!

BTW plugging my own loyalties, partly historical, consider KEF, too, eg the Reference 201. They have a HF -3 dB rolloff at 55 kHz, for goodness' sake. How to please passing bats.

There is also a rumoured return of a LS3/5a, probably from Richard Allan. Their currently listed "Studio Nearfield Monitors" are the RA6M and RA8M, I do not know how they compare, but everything from that maker is clearly a quality product.

Peach
Unregistered guest
John A.--It is not a secret how much you like
DVD-A. Do you play it in stereo also. I was wondering, since I only have two speakers, whether a universal DVD player would be worth the cost. Are the surrounds necessary? If so what are you using?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
Peach,

Yes, I play hi-res two-channel, too. Even in two-channel, DVD-Audio is streets ahead of CD. There are also DVD-V discs with the audio in PCM Stereo, which amounts to the same thing. See thread PCM Stereo.

Leaving aside surround sound, it's the high resolution (usually 96 kHz, 24 bit) wot does it.

The CD performance of my DVD/CD player (see NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review...) is pretty well as good as CD gets, too, in my opinion. Therefore the improvement in DVD-A compared with any CD is just to good to miss. I shall never buy another CD-only player.

You might also be interested in another of Rick's threads. He has a top-quality, dedicated CD player, and has just added DVD-A to his system: User Review......... CA Azur 540D.

Peach
Unregistered guest
The only problem I have with DVD-A is that it will not play in a car CD player. We travel a good bit and like music in the car. SACD will play in either. Have you heard anything about DVD-A adding a CD layer? Hope I'm not wrong about all this. If so, it will only be the second time--the first time I thought I was wrong but I wasn't. I'm seriously considering buying one of the universal players.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1546
Peach,

SACD will not play on a CD player, either, whether in a car or not.

There are certainly more SACD/CD "hybrid" discs that DVD-A/CD "hybrid" discs. See the thread DualDisc Hybrids Officially Approved by the DVD Forum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Buy an '04 Acura TL. Includes a surround sound system with DVD-Audio.

Unregistered guest
Rick, two completely different speakers. Quads are electrostatics and Spendors are dynamic. The Quads will be much more particular about the amp thats driving them. Both are very good speakers. Quads should sound more natural because they have less induced phase shift. You might prefer the bass from the Spendors more. I'd also look at the Green Mountain Audio line. They are dynamic speakers with almost no phase shift, something thats extremely hard to do. They start at around $900.00/pair and to these ears, sound better at $900.00 than anything I have heard to around $3k. They also don't seem to care whats driving them, another rarity.
Here's a link to the companies web site.
http://grenmountainaudio.com/

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Quad is now making box enclosure, dynamic speakers. Check their web site. If anyone knows where I can buy a pair of Quad's electrostatics for under a grand please let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1636
J.,

HiFi News classifieds is a good place to look. Don't know about shipping etc., it should not be impossible. You might need a transformer but it is not a big deal.

Sometimes local newspapers, too, but maybe not in Texas. If you can wait until about jan 2005 I might be able to look out for you . Though I would be tempted, if I saw some, myself!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1640
J.

Have sent e-mail with clipping from July HFN

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 13
The Quad speakers series 11L and 12L are arriving next week to my local dealer.
I heard a lot about them and read outstanding reviews and most important they are British, at least designed.
I would like to have your impression from these speakers. Does anyone of the audio forum members actually have them?
I have now other very good British speakers Mission 751f but they are more than 5 years old and there is always the tendency to" improve " and "upgrade"

My amplifier is NAD C350 and CD Player is NAD C541

Unregistered guest
Good review site for the Quad non electrostatic speakers, 11 and 12 here:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_11_12_e.html

Still say Green Mountain Audio makes much better speakers....but to each his/her own, huh?

Peter McEvedy
Unregistered guest
On the LS3/5A front, Richard Allan do indeed make this speaker now and I have a pair. They also make the Rogers designed AB1 subwoofer which was designed to go with the LS3/5A. Stunning little speaker with wonderful imaging and particularly good with classical music.
The build quality shames most modern speakers and the crossover is tuned individually for each speaker. The best of British!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1823
Peter,

Excellent news. Many thanks.
http://www.loudspeakersonline.com/ls35a.new/photos.htm

"Price on Application"....?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 907
has anyone got a price on the?

"On the LS3/5A front, Richard Allan do indeed make this speaker now and I have a pair. They also make the Rogers designed AB1 subwoofer"

i have gone to the website and like what i see.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 908
rick where you at lately with your choices?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1825
Kegger, I think Rick ordered some Spendor S3/5 speakers and then went on holiday. Some folk have all the luck....

BTW, Asimo, if you are here:- you may like Larry R.'s thread OperaNutz, Unite!. So will Rick, when he gets back, I think.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 342
Hi Everyone!

I am back from vacation, and switching back to reality mode. I hate when that happens.

Kegger, JohnA.,

You are correct John. I did order a pair of Spendor S3/5se's. I also bought a vintage 70's McIntosh MA-6100 integrated amp. I am going to pair them up with my CAL-CL20 when they arrive. I think it should be a really good sounding stereo system. I want it to be very musical and correct sounding. I will certainly post back a review in time...........Good to be back with the "old dogs". Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1829
Rick,

Welcome back. There has been some heavy discussion of Mahler and such things on Ghia's thread "Discoveries". I am getting interested in valves, aka tubes. Do report back on those nice new components. Just the things for old dogs. All the best.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 343
Thank you John.

Beware the sound of tube amps my friend. The sound is very seductive. Ulyssees and the Sirens come to mind. I was all set to purchase an Antique Sound Labs 30W tube integrated, and then found the Mac. I may still purchase one down the road. I have decided on seperate systems in various rooms rather than a multi-room system. Other than speakers, I really have not upgraded or done anything in a few years. Remind me to tell you the story about the last time I was going to upgrade. T think you will enjoy it. As always, a pleasure my friend.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 913
nobody happens to know?

has anyone got a price on the?

"On the LS3/5A front, Richard Allan do indeed make this speaker now and I have a pair. They also make the Rogers designed AB1 subwoofer"

just asking again in case it got overlooked.
thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Not over looked just not found yet. When the LS3/5a was last avaiable in the US it sold for about $1600. The exchange rate favored the US much more when we had a different Great Leader.
This would seem to make the Spendors a good deal. It is not cheap to hand adjust the X-over on each speaker individually.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1834
Kegger,

I found it difficult to navigate the Richard Allan web pages, but I think it says "Price on Application" - see "July 26, 2004 - 10:00 pm", above. Whereas, they have detailed price lists, admittedly in £, for everything else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1836
Kegger,

Give 'em a call. Country code 44, leave out the leading "0" on the local area code. They will be five hours ahead of E Coast time, and this forum, so six hours ahead of you, I think. It should be about 10.05 p.m. there as this post is date stamped in Washington DC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us