Cd makes clicking noise and I get Disc Read Error PLZ HELP

jlee14
Unregistered guest
I keep getting a disc read error on most games a few work I here Click...Click..SPin and the Click is when it goes to spin but it doesnt and i tried a laser cleaner it still doesnt work any advice?

Unregistered guest
I just fixed a PS2 for a friend last night. I couldn't believe it worked. He was getting "disk read errors" whenever he tried playing a DVD movie or a PS2 game that was on a DVD. His PS2 still read music cd's and games that are manufactured on cd's, so I knew that the laser still worked. I was knew to PS2 troubleshooting, and I found this guide, and it worked. No more problems.
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

I hope it works for you guys. Let me know. It is fairly simple to do.

Username: Makobuddha

Post Number: 3
If you still need the guide l have the guide my self if wanted email me at swencel@canada.com

Unregistered guest
If it is still under warrenty, send it in! I did that, and in two weeks, I had my ps2 back. Good as new! Didn`t cost me anything (exept s/h).

marvington
Unregistered guest
I tried it and now it doesn't even get power. I want to cry.

whipthang
Unregistered guest
Hey, Marvin, don't panic, some little cable probabyl came out whel you took it apart. On mine there was a white flat ribbon cable on the lower right side near the front as you look at it, that came out. I needed tweezers to put it back in where it goes. Anyway, look fo ran unplugged cable.

whipthang
Unregistered guest
Hey, Marvin, don't panic, some little cable probabyl came out whel you took it apart. On mine there was a white flat ribbon cable on the lower right side near the front as you look at it, that came out. I needed tweezers to put it back in where it goes. Anyway, look fo ran unplugged cable.

ali9
Unregistered guest
my ps2 also doesn't read PS2 discs an it makes a strange buzzing noise. A friend recomended a Cd which cleans the laser. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 18
Had the same problem, are the games your using have a blue backing ?...i would put one in and it would make clicking noises for awhile. I did some research on it, and this happens to quite a few people. Some PS2'S just don't read blue disc games or sometimes other ones. I had my PS2 for 3 years before I played a blue disc game and then i found out it didn't work, i phoned Sony and they said to send it in..they sent it back and it still didn't work..then i sent it back...and they gave me a new ps2..all i paid was S/H.....even 3 years after my purchase they still fixed my problem...you should call them.

Anonymous

My ps2 does'nt read dvd game and cd's, when i start my ps2, it make a wierd noise ! I called sony and they said that it will cost me 106$ to fix it ! And I know a lot of people that they have the same probleme as me. PS2 is crap.

mojado
Unregistered guest
hey you guys. i found a way to fix this clicking problem. The reason it makes this noise is because sometimes the lense move out of place or is tilted a certain way (this usually happens when you move your ps2 around). All you have to do is open the console and on the right you will see a gadget wheel that turns...all u have to do is mess with it until its the right position u want...u may have to test it out multiple times and it may take up most of your afternoon but its worth it. when u have it working..all u have to do to prevent it from happening again is lubricate it....i myself decided to use semen...yes semen..it may sound crazy butits the best remedy...all i did was have my girlfriend jak me off and smeared the sperm in the wheel...if ur a woman then go out in the street and suck a guy off...tell him to nut in your mouth and go home and just spit it into the wheel...im not joking ... it really works.....try it ...u have nothing to lose..(but sperm)(and maybe your reputation)

ps. my brother in law gave me this method of fixing my ps2 and it worked..he is an ex-employee of SONY

Sexiroth
Unregistered guest
...That's just sick. Why the heck would you post something like that!? I can see why your brother-in-law is an EX-employee of Sony.

Angel06
Unregistered guest
My ps2 hasn't played a single disk since i bought it i'm so fed up with it that my mom took it away to keep me from throwing it out the window, does sony really fix 'em for free??

Silver Member
Username: Stars

Post Number: 139
i have no idea.

sarnoldnz
Unregistered guest
I had a huge problem with the 'clicking' noise. I've sent it in 3 times and they said it would cost but they never sent me a bill so I assume it is a manufactuer fault. They said if it happens again I will get a free ps2. It has ahppened agian and they will give me a ps2 (i think). I suggest just sending it in and if it still doesn't work after a month (like mine) just complain via e-mail.

santaclaus
Unregistered guest
hi im just annoying u guys. but ur cool

santaclaus
Unregistered guest
sorry that was my sister

standingguy
Unregistered guest
as long as you have the warranty sony will fix it. I just had the problem and i cleaned the laser with rubbing alcohol and adjusted the laser height with teh white knob. Those laser cleaning disk don't quite work.. they can''t really clean it like you can by hand... better to open it up and clean it with alcohol(as long as it's not under warranty).It works pretty good now. the only exception is that it won't play ONE of my blue disk games... but teh other blue disk works fine. I don' think the power ribbon can be fixed... you have to be careful of everything when taking your electronics apart. The first guide which was linked in the second post is quite helpful. MY ps2 has gone since launch until oct. 05 and this fixed it pretty good.

Jessey
Unregistered guest
Go here if you don't have the money for a repair or your warrenty is invalid.
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

Unregistered guest
hi i have bught a new game recentl but it makes my ps2 click and the game freezes wen it clicks . i twa my ps2 wid my fist and it stops but about 10scs l8er it starts again my other games work fine any hints

skorch
Unregistered guest
well my ps2 doesn't read one of my blue backing disks and its pissing me off, i've had it for three years and the warranty is gone, i've tried just dusting off the lens, but where is this white knob thing for the laser??? PLZ HELP ME!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 712
u should look into buying a DVD DR.X it fixes games and movies back to there orignal state

MIC4311
Unregistered guest
i have the blue disc problem. its the disc read error it just screams and buzzes when its spins. iv done the white wheel in every position doesnt work. iv had the ps2 open and spinning the disc with the drive cover off. and it looks like the disc acctually slips and cant spin up to full speed.the slip makes the scream noise not sure.its like the blue disc weight more or dont seat properly. but its only blue disc for me.

onka
Unregistered guest
my ps2 will read one dvd disk and all cds but wont read anything else. ive tried adjusting the white knob and cleaning the laser but it doesn't work. it worked fine for 4 years

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 67
Relubricate the worm gear and traverse sleds.

CD-ROMs (bluebottom) require that the laser pickup move back and forth at a faster speed than DVD-ROM, which may cause the mechanism to skip when trying to seek a CD-ROM.

The lube dries up due to dust accumulation. - Reinhart

JOHNLICKRES
Unregistered guest
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND FOR WAYS TO FIX THE NOSIE PROBLEM FROM MY PS2 BUT ONLY FOUND 1ST GEN IDEAS BUT I HAVE A SECOND GEN PS2. i HAVE FINALLY PINPOINTED OUT THE PROBLEM AND HOPEFULLY FIXED IT. THE NOISE IS CAUSED BY THE BACK AND FOURTH MOVEMENT OF THE LASER ON ITS TRACKS. WHILE YOUR GAME IS GOING THROUGH DIFFERENT STAGES WEATHER ITS LOADING OR FOING THROUGH THE PAUSE MENU THIS LASER MOVER BACK AND FOURTH TO READ DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE DISK. THE NOISE YOUR HEARING IS WHEN THE SPINING ARM BAR THAT CONTROLS THE MOVMENT DOESNT COPORATE WITH THE THEETH ON THE ARM. THE ONLY RECOMMENDED CURE IS TO CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY BROKEN THEETH AND THEN TO SEE HOW LUBED UP THE MOVMENT ARMS AND THEETH AND THEN TRY AGAIN. IT WORKED FOR MY PS2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
"THE NOISE YOUR HEARING IS WHEN THE SPINING ARM BAR THAT CONTROLS THE MOVMENT DOESNT COPORATE WITH THE THEETH ON THE ARM."

In other words, the rack gear on the pickup skips on the spinning worm gear, causing the clicking noise.

BTW, this problem affects all front-load PS-2 consoles.

"THE ONLY RECOMMENDED CURE IS TO CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY BROKEN THEETH AND THEN TO SEE HOW LUBED UP THE MOVMENT ARMS AND THEETH AND THEN TRY AGAIN. IT WORKED FOR MY PS2."

There will not be broken teeth. Gear breakages only happen when people force the console to do something mechanically when they should't, like trying to pry the drawer out with a screwdriver instead of manually actuating the advance mechanism to lower the traverse assembly and unlock the tray to allow it to open.

As for relubrication, it's important that you use good quality stuff.

I use molytone grease for the worm gear while I use a fairly loose concoction of bearing oil and molytone grease for the pickup sleds on the traverse assembly.

Using stuff like WD-40 will not cut it in the long run. While it will work initially, most of the WD-40 will evaporate over time and you'll be stuck with the same problem all over again.

AND, NEVER move the pickup back and forth in the traverse when it's tilted down. The pickup will scrape against a metal shield below it, which could sever the ribbon conductor on the bottom of the pickup that serves as the wiring harness for the pickup, which will render the entire pickup useless facilitating a need for a replacement. - Reinhart

Adam_xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unregistered guest
i had more luck with light oils than grease.

i've relubed it a number of times and it still gets stuck. i've just tried the sort of grease for bike gears - unlike any light oils it wouldn't even run for a second, yet alone for an hour.

i think i'll give ps3 a wide berth - maybe until sony is no longer the dominant console and has to RE-EARN the customer's respect.

Anonymous

All of u all take your problematic systems to a qualified Technician & stop whining like some b!tchy little spoiled girl over it

Username: Reggie_31

Post Number: 4
CLICKING NOISE AND DISC READ ERRORS? JUST STAND IT VERTICALLY, GRAD THE TOP, AND GIVE IT A LITTLE CIRCULAR SHAKE (I CALL IT THE SWIRL) WHEN YOU FEEL IT BUZZ, WAIT, AND PRESTO!!! IT WILL READ THE DISC. CRAZY THAT IT WORKS, BUT ITS TRUE. TAKES SOME PRACTICE TO PERFECT THE TECHNIQUE. TRY IT OUT!!!!!!

Username: Reggie_31

Post Number: 5
ALSO, A WORD ON LUBRICATION. JUST LIKE A GUN, IF YOU OVER LUBRICATE VITAL PARTS, YOU RISK HAVING DEBRIS COLLECTING ON THE LUBRICATING SUBSTANCE. THIS CAN HINDER, OR RENDER INOPERABLE, A DELICATE MECHANISM.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
"i've relubed it a number of times and it still gets stuck. i've just tried the sort of grease for bike gears - unlike any light oils it wouldn't even run for a second, yet alone for an hour."

The grease for bike gears is too viscous and would act as a hinderance while light oil won't stay on for long enough.

This is why I suggested making a loose grease with bearing oil and molytone grease (white lithium grease as a substitute if necessary). It stays where it needs to be and is loose enough to allow things to slip and slide like they should. - Reinhart

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
"CLICKING NOISE AND DISC READ ERRORS? JUST STAND IT VERTICALLY, GRAD THE TOP, AND GIVE IT A LITTLE CIRCULAR SHAKE (I CALL IT THE SWIRL) WHEN YOU FEEL IT BUZZ, WAIT, AND PRESTO!!! IT WILL READ THE DISC. CRAZY THAT IT WORKS, BUT ITS TRUE. TAKES SOME PRACTICE TO PERFECT THE TECHNIQUE. TRY IT OUT!!!!!!"

But, how long will this "technique" work for?

Eventually, the console will require service as it may get to the point where doing this trick won't work.

"ALSO, A WORD ON LUBRICATION. JUST LIKE A GUN, IF YOU OVER LUBRICATE VITAL PARTS, YOU RISK HAVING DEBRIS COLLECTING ON THE LUBRICATING SUBSTANCE. THIS CAN HINDER, OR RENDER INOPERABLE, A DELICATE MECHANISM"

Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention it here. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
Hi i have tried most of the methods to stop that bloudy clicking noise and its still there,
Games will work fine but DVD's wont anyone know what to do? its so bloudy annoying

Username: Jaeryde

Post Number: 1
Hi I've been trying all these different guides for months now with still no luck. Yes I sat there for hours playing with the white cog and yes I tried cleaning the lens. My problem is I can play all disks but not ones with the dvd formated label. And because I can play normal cd's or games I assume that its not the whole lens thats faulty. I also tried voltage thingy for dvd once as I did not want to totally kill it so i just left it lolz. But any further help is most welcome and appriciated!=)

E-mail me if you like
freestyler275@yahoo.com.au

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
It is possible that the pickup has failed, even if it does read CDs properly but not DVDs.

The PS-2 pickup uses a dual laser configuration, with one laser that operates in the infrared range for CD and the other that operates in the red range for DVD and projects the beam from either emitter within the same optical network inside the pickup. You can have a pickup where one laser is still good while the other has gone marginal, which might be the case here with your console.

In this case, the best remedy is to replace the pickup. However, you have to procure a new pickup. Installation requires having to remove the solder shield for the lasers, so you'd need a soldering iron and the proper skills to manage removing the protection shorts without allowing too much heat to get to the lasers. And, you have to go through the trouble of installation and recalibrating the traverse tilt since you did messed with the "white cog".

It may be best to replace the console with a new one in your particular case. - Reinhart

Bob1992093023122123
Unregistered guest
MY ps2 is driving me crazy! Ive had it for about 2 years and its worked fine, until now. I was playing one of my games (star ocean:TTEOT if you really want to know) and ive completed this game about 4 times or so with no problem. However now it doesnt work. It reads the game, lets me load my save, lets me move a bit, but the minute it has to load some serious data (say when i enter a battle) it either freezes for ages (with music still on at start, but soon stopping) or shows the message "Reading disk..." and then proceeds to freeze... i think i need a new ps2... theres no way i can fix it, ill probably make it melt or something!

Unregistered guest
my ps2 can only read blue ps2 disks, ps1 disks,
music CDs and DVDs but most of my games are
silver and they dont work someone please
tell me what the fek is wrong!!!:@

Ganser7342
Unregistered guest
Hey the stand the ps2 vertically and shake it really worked. Thats crazy but totally awesome at the same time. Thank you

anny
Unregistered guest
OK, here are some easy remedies for getting those blue discs (CD-ROMs) to work without opening your PS2 and fiddling with the mechanisms in there (although I don't doubt that this method works, I just haven't done it myself). First of all, yes, putting your PS2 in the vertical stand position is the easiest way to fix this problem. However, if this simply does not work, you're going to have to do something a bit more complicated. NOW, this is the most reliable method I find and it's literally almost like magic but there are a lot of technical reasons as to why it works. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PUT FOUR OR MORE STRIPS OF TAPE (ONE INCH STRIPS IN LENGTH EACH SHOULD BE FINE) AROUND THE INNER CIRCLE OF THE DISCS LOGO. As in, put transparent/transluscent tape around the hole of the disc on the logo (non-shiny) side of the disc. This has worked for me for years and if the blue disc is extra tricky to get it to load, use the tape trick and flip your PS2 to stand vertically. Also, I haven't found any PS2 malfunctions or anything weird like that since using the tape trick.
Good luck!

Username: Ormy

Hey, my ps2 wont read Blu-ray,xbox 360,gamecube mini dvds or umds!!!!
What is the problem with my console??? Everytime I put the windows xp disk in I get a disk read error...I am seriously considering emailing sony regarding the downfalls of their system, and politely requesting all of their stock and assets to be signed over to me...although I am sure sony will be aware that this will not make up for the abject misery they have caused me, nor will it change the wretchedness of the whole calamatous situation.

Username: Doom_mist_girl

My Ps2 won't read any Ps2 games except for the Sims (which is a blue disk). I don't get what's wrong with it but it plays everything else I have. Even Dvds.

Username: Datenshi

My ps2 will read music cds and ps1 discs but not dvds or ps2 discs. When I put ps2 discs or dvds in it, it seems like it tries to read them because it keeps clicking and eventually just gives me a 'disc read error'. Does anyone know what i can do to fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 624
Phone Sony, very helpful they will often have you send in your ps2 and fix it free of charge

Username: Techlock

i was playing my ps2 when me and my m8 started toy fighting the ps2 fell on the floor and since then has been making clicking noises and takes ages to load games and when they do load they skip and the music cuts out my ps2 is not chipped and is not slimline whats the problem and what can i do? id be grateful for advice thanks

Username: Prettyboy0123

Arlington, Texas United states

Post Number: 3
dang all my games i gotta name them prince of persia the two thrones,nba live 07,devil may cry 2,devil may cry 3,devil may cry 1,true crime new york city,def jam fight for new york,tekken 5 all them won't work and they all kinda new and im getting kinda mad ima break this ps2 it will play but when it do it goes to the browser screen or it will say disc read error some one help me please by the way i have a slim

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Chrome Dip it and Ship it

Post Number: 8367
testing 1.2.3....:-)

Username: Tomq

Post Number: 6
Hi guys, I had this error for ages but finally I found a solution for this disc read error in a tech support site that have really cool solutions. They give you step by step information and photos. Here the page for PS2 repair

Good luck

Username: C4kalashnikov

I have one blue disc, High Heat Major League Baseball 2003. When I got it, I had a big PS2. Then, it was broken while we set up the Christmas tree in 2005. That Xmas, I got the Compact Model, and it won't work. It will go to th 3Do screen, and say "Allocation error (lots of numbers here.)" Help!

Username: Bassfish

I don't know what year my ps2 is, but I have the model that has an adjustment wheel on each side of the laser sled. How do I adjust these so I don't get disc read errors? I have looked at the instructions on line and they look easy for the type with one adjustment wheel. Currently my ps2 says no data so it isn't reading the disc at all. I know the laser is working. HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 412
san andreas works with cheats

Username: Fred070

hi.. i would like to ask how to fix this. because my PlayStation 2 isn't working anymore.. there's a grinding sound every time a open the tray.. and also after that there's a clicking sound too..

i opened it and found out that the worm gear is still spinning even laser platform is on its right position.. any ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us