DVD playback on XBox 360

Bronze Member
Username: Mrckone

Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Post Number: 11
My question is this:

I have my 360 hooked up to a Toshiba 50" DLP Projection. I decided to put in a DVD and see what it would look like since the graphics of the games are so life like. The picture of the DVD was absolutely awful! I have the switch on the cable going to the T.V. switched to HDTV. Also, The picture does not fill up the entire screen it is in 4:3 format.
Could someone please help me? Is there something else that I need to do in the dashboard? I have already witched that to 1080 and told it that to use 16:9 aspect ratio.
I know that Microsoft has a HDDVD that has come out. I wasnt sure if I should go and get that or buy a stand alone HDDVD.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Bigsim

NSW Australia

Post Number: 252
Hmm, I haven't tried a DVD in my 360, but the general consensus seems to be that they're pretty shithouse. Read http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=51615&page=4&pp=10.

DVDs should play in 16:9 though. If the aspect ratio is set properly on both your TV and your Xbox, I don't know what the problem could be :-(

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4506
i play all my dvd's on it, and i have never had a problem :-)

Silver Member

NSW Australia

Post Number: 253
Maybe it was fixed in the firmware? That link I posted is pretty old...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4547
it might have gotten fixed. i just havent had a problem, and i have used it hundreds of times

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 117
The Picture on my old Xbox from Dvd isn't that good anyway. But the 360 should have good graphics, oh wait I'm thinking of Ps3.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4558
nah, the graphics dont even differ from eachother. their the same. actually 360 is better with gears of war :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mrckone

Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Post Number: 12
Actually I figured it out. Since there is no HDMI hook up your only choice is component. I had the output on the dashboard set at 1080i and I forgot that you can not output 1080i with a component hookup. After setting to 720p the DVD's looked okay, not great, but they were the size they were supposed to be and werent as grainy. But I ordered the HDDVD add on anyway. I will post when I get it as to the visuals. Thanks to those who helped

Silver Member

NSW Australia

Post Number: 258
"Since there is no HDMI hook up your only choice is component. I had the output on the dashboard set at 1080i and I forgot that you can not output 1080i with a component hookup."

Yes you can, otherwise why would the dashboard have the option of 1080i when the component leads provide the only connection available :-)

DVDs display in 480p natively, and the 360 doesn't upscale them, so I think the picture should be exactly the same, even if you set the picture to 480p.

Silver Member

NSW Australia

Post Number: 259
That is, there wouldn't be a difference between 720 and 480p.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9736
what he said.

the 360 doesn't upscale DVD's. it plays them in their native format. also to get an upscaler DVD player is ~$100 if you don't feel like buying the $200 HD-DVD player that hooks up to the 360:-)

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9737
note: upscaler DVD players will NOT play HD-DVD's and HD-DVD players will NOT play regular DVD's....i can check back with you on the latter of the 2 statements

Silver Member

NSW Australia

Post Number: 268
HDDVD players actually will play regular DVDs; both of the new formats (HDDVD and Blu-Ray) are backwards compatible.

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9771
good to know, i wasn't sure on that b/c of the new laser that is used to read either disc.

Username: Chorh888

Post Number: 2
I have the xbox 360 HD DVD player hooked to the console, with component hookup from teh console to my Sharp Aquos LCD, LC-46D62U. My console is set to 1080p output. I get 1080p output for games played through the console and also when I stream movies from my PC to the console. My problem is when I play HD DVD, it reverts to 1080i. I know there has been a lot of discussions in forums on this subject, with most people saying that the lack of HDMI output from the xbox 360 is the cause of the problem. How can that be if I am getting 1080p with games and movies streamed through the console? Clearly, that shows the component cable is capable of 1080p output. I think the problem is with the HD DVD player output (though the USB port)- it appears MS is not able to process the signal from the HD DVD player on the fly to output 1080p through the component cable. If that is the case, how is the HDMI cable that everyone is anticipating going to solve the problem? Anybody has a similar problem and found a solution?

Username: Chorh888

Post Number: 3
Simon, I know HDDVD players play regular DVD because I have tested it. My understanding is that Blue Ray players do NOT. That, I was told, is the advantage of HDDVD player versus Blue Ray Player. Can anyone confirm that?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us