Laptop to Home Theater System?

Username: Ryguy823

Post Number: 1
I want to take my laptop in my room and connect it to a powerful set of speakers that will go all around the room. When browsing for a good system, I'm not sure if they are able to connect to any of my computer jacks. Can this be done? I don't want the dvd player or anything. Just multiple speakers. Is it in any way possible?
Thanks much

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5442
First look at your laptop if it is capable of doing what you want it to do.

Does it have audio outputs for a receiver? And I don't mean the ones for headphones.

What kind of powerful speakers are we talking about here? Speakers don't have power on their own. You are going to need an amplifier of some sort to drive "powerful" speakers.

What is your budget?

Post Number: 2
To be honest, I'm not really all that "savvy" on speakers and amplifiers and what not.
I know that I do not have an audio output area on my laptop so I will most likely need a sort of cable to do that. (RCA maybe?)
My budget is around the 200-300 range. I figure that should be enough for a good set.
Sorry if I'm being to vague here, but yeah you're suggestions are indeed helpful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5476
Check your laptop if it has any outputs for external speakers.

Post Number: 3
Yeah I did. I don't see anything that would work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5483
What kind of laptop is it?

Post Number: 4
Compaq 2596US
Very basic stuff

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2648
It should have a headphone out jack. You can buy a cable that has a headphone jack at one end and RCA jacks at the other. Essentially, it converts the headphone out signal to RCA's for A/V receiver hook up. Then you can hook it up to a great system like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-HT-S580-5-1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ58652 97541QQcategoryZ1499QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pioneer-HTP2500-Audio-Multi-Channel-Reciever-SX-315_W0QQ itemZ5862815482QQcategoryZ39815QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pioneer and Onkyo make the best theater systems in your price range, try to avoid Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, JVC, and any systems with a digital amplifier in them (usually these are the systems with smaller, nonconventional receivers and tiny satellite speakers with a moderately-sized sub). Digital amps are still very weak and won't perform well.

Post Number: 5
Alright. I'm checking those suggestions out. Thanks a lot.

Username: Dimebag

I have a 6.1 Home theater system , Sutherland Technologies, is it possible to hook this upto my laptop ? HP Pavilion DV 7..

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5088
Yep. Read my aforementioned post.

Username: Pradeeprprasad

Hi,

I have a 5.1 channel LG Home theater and a Gateway High End Laptop (NV59C). My DVD player is not working so im planning to connect my Home theater to my laptop. Is it possible? If yes then Could you pls help me in doing so. Also my Home theater speakers has wire which used to connect to the spring type connector of the DVD player

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 638
I hardly consider the Gateway NV59C high end.

That said, that laptop has a headphone/speaker/line-out jack which is stereo. However, you cannot connect that directly to the LG home theater system's speakers.

Depending on which LG system you have, it may have Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) or Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm which can be connect to that jack on your laptop.

Username: Bradschon

I'm trying to connect my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) to a Denon AVR-2307CI, but the only audio output on my laptop is the headphone jack. Is my lack of a better audio output killing my audio quality? Would it help if I get an external USB sound card?

If so, would this work: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 677
The reviews on Amazon seems to be good.
It should work on your Dell.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15954
How is the quality of the music in your laptop? Garbage in, garbage out...so make sure that your files are great quality.

Username: Bradschon

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input. I actually just bought the creative external sound card and the audio quality has been much better. In the past, there used to be a distinct buzzing in the background and now it's totally gone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us