Transferring data

Username: Foofighter

Post Number: 1
I have a laptop that is now unusable the hard drive is still in tact. I have pictures and itunes stored on it that I would like to tranfer to an external hard drive so I can then download to my new laptop. How can I go about this. Can I do this by simply buying the external harddrive and linking the old lap top the external harddrive and the new laptop??THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO DO THIS!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2432
Why, exactly, is the laptop unusable? You could possibly just take the hard drive out and hook it up to another laptop.

Bronze Member
Username: Ars88

Post Number: 44
usb stick? transfer some data

Username: Lewy40

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a external hard drive 200 gig. I want too use it for 3 different computers in my house , Mine ,daughters and my wifes. Im not real clear on where too start. I want it too all be done correctly and in a way that makes it simple for everyone. Any ideas on where i should start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12497
Do you want to just be able to access the drive from all the computers or do you want to be able to move the hard drive physically from PC to PC?

Post Number: 2
I would be physically be moving it from one computer too the other if possible . Also I would like too keep all three seperate within the hard drive. Thanks for the response

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12500
Physically moving the hard drive from one computer to the other would be easier to do. If you want each computer to access the drive from one central location, would be more challenging and you will need a server.

If you want to keep them separate, you need to assign a folder for each user.

Post Number: 3
That is what I was thinking I would need too do but im having problems figuring out how too get a file up for the external. I thought you could do it by right clicking but thats not working.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12505
Is it showing up on "My Computer" as a removable hard drive?

Try making a folder on your PC and then drag and click to the external hard drive.

Post Number: 4
I will give that a shot. After I have created a file you say drag it too external . Does that mean drag it too the external Icon in the drop down menu?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12506
Yes just drag it right on the icon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts