Can I hook up a Subwoofer AND Speaker to Computer?

Username: Redguard

Post Number: 1
I just got a subwoofer today and I'm trying to hook it up to my pc tower along with my existing speakers. There's one standard audio out jack at the back, and one at the front that's unused. So I tried hooking them up to the front one, but all that happens is that the speakers will stop functioning and the only sound comes from the the subwoofer (only low bass). I think this is because the computer believes I'm plugging in headphones so it automatically disables the speakers.

I am using the stock onboard sound on my computer, the mobo is NAGAMI2. The software to control the speakers is Realtek HD Sound effect manager.

I am just wondering is there anyway to disable the computer from shutting off the speakers when I plug the subwoofer? Thanks!!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12155
No because it is a mechanical disengage (unless things have changed).

Are you using a powered sub? If it is a powered sub, it usually has provisions for connecting external speakers.

What kind is it?

Username: Redguard

Post Number: 2
I remember on another computer I could plug in headphones to the front of a computer while the speakers were plugged in the back and both would still function.

It's a powered sub, but it wasn't originally designated for computers, it was for a projector, but the cables are the same. It's a Dolcen Kreiling DK-SW50

Username: Louman61

New Port Richey, Fl USA

Post Number: 3
theres a reciever connected to my computer right now i just got some converters for the wire, i just tried it out one day and it worked it may not be conventional but it works. i haev 4 surround sound speakers and center channel speaker on the reciever aswell as a powered sub its an average home therter system but its just on my computer.

Username: Dejay

Sydney, Nova scotia Canada

i bought a sound system for my comp..altec lansing.....it came with 2 small speakers and a sub woofer...i have aditional speakers that came with my home sourround sound can i hook them into the back of my comp and if so how,i have 5 empty input holes in the back of the tower...HELP

Username: Tmx

Post Number: 5
you should buy a soundcard that has multichannel output and a good DAC, like M-Audio.

Username: Ynot377

Southern Cal... USA

I believe that the reason your sub doesn't work when you plug it in the front is because in order for the front audio jack to function, you must remove the jumpers on the motherboard audio connector depending on the board. Some boards give have the option to use both and others don't. Read your users manual. I will have to agree with the last post. Buy a multi-channel sound card.

Username: Robertobc

You don't have to get a new soundcard, all you need is a Y splitter to split the Output from your SoundCard to your SuB (Powered) and your speakers (Powered).

there are other ways of doing it, but this would be the least complicated, and one of the least loss in fidelity.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us