HELP! hooking up a laptop to a tv

Username: Asg6950

Post Number: 1
Hey, I am in need of some help. I have a dell latitude d610. I also have a 50 inch plasma samsung 720p tv. I really want to hook my laptop up to my tv, but I have no idea where to start. If anyone can help me please please please write back. I am not completely computer savvy, so as much detail as possible! thanks !

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 1249
as long as u have the 15 pin connector on ur tv, just use a 15 pin video cable from ur laptop to tv.

Username: Cornerstone137

Post Number: 7
The Dell D610 and the 720P TV both have SVideo connections. Buy an SVideo cable long enough to go from the SVideo on your laptop to your TV's SVideo. You will also need a a 1/8 to RCA cable to hook the earphone out from the laptop to the RCA input on the TV.
Be sure that the laptop and TV are off before plugging in the SVideo cable. They will not recognize each other if you plug it in when they are on. The sound cable can be done at any time.
After connecting the cables, cut the TV on first, and then the laptop.
Change the channel on the TV to SVideo input(it should say this or something similar on the screen).
On the laptop, bring up the display properties. Move the mouse to a blank area of the screen, and right click. You should see a menu. Go to properties and click the left mouse button. The Display Properties window will appear. Click on the Settings tab. You should see two monitor icons. The main display will be the largest, and will have a 1 on it. The secondary will have a 2 on it, and will be a smaller icon. Click on the 2. Click on the Advanced button. Click on the Monitor tab. Change the monitor type to Generic Television. Click on Apply and Ok. Should now see the Windows desktop on both the laptop and the television. If you play a DVD, you should see it on both. Even if you minimize it on the laptop, it should still be playing on the television. If you have trouble, respond to this post.
Tim
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us