Spilled a little water...oops.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 370
Ok, So i spilled a little water on my toshiba satellite and it worked a little bit, but now it doesn't even power on. I'm sure the motherboard is fried, but what about the cpu/ram/hdd ect.? would a motherboard diagnostic card work even if i can't turn the computer on...? If everythign else is ok, then it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a new mobo than get all new mobo/cpu/ram ect. thanks for any help guys.

Silver Member
Username: Evadelparaiso

Puerto Rico

Post Number: 239
The laptop was on when spill water? Maybe do you have humidity still. PUt in one dry place, take a blower in high heat. PUt a little time direct to sun. Two hours maybe and try on again. As Celullar, laptops too do not turn on or start to give problem with humidity issue. Lucky

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2996
The mobo could be $400-1200 itself. I would guess it's about 450$, however. Though you would probably have to pay 200-300$ in labor...you decide if it's worth it. We could help you a bit more if you provided a model number. As it is, though, I think it would be best to get a new laptop; you never know what else might have been damaged when you spilled the water.

Bronze Member
Username: Aculous

Post Number: 19
...jexx where the hell did you get those figures? a mobo for a laptop is 125-200$ and if you have it installed at a certified service center it will be anywhere between 60-200$ in labor. If you have a warranty you will be able to get this done for cheap however if you send it off and they find water your warranty is void.

You can take your computer to geek squad and have them do a hardware diag on your system but it will most likely be expensive. Anywhere from 59-167$ but I mean the components aren't as transferable to a new laptop as you would think. So honestly I would try and dry it out, worse case scenario buy a motherboard and take it to bestbuy to have it installed. Talk to the DCI manager or the services manager when you come in so that you don't get charged extra as in expect to pay 59$ for the diag and not 167$.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3072
Are you kidding me?? The motherboard for the Toshiba I'm on right now is $615, don't even get into the price for an iBook mobo. The only laptop mobos I know of below 200 aren't even name brand, they're crap like ARM. I joke you not about labor. They do charge 300$ for motherboard replacement. Heck, DC jack repair for $190 is a good deal.

Circuit City and Best Buy are cheap for a reason: they're not the best with computers. They just get their A+ certification and think they know everything, and the A+ helps with only 25% of the repairs they'll ever perform.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us