Wireless Security

Username: Ribrob

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Buffalo LinkTheater player to allow me to play music and video wirelessly. However I have been having problems getting it to connect into my wireless home network.

Up until now my network has used Shared Network Authentication with WEP encryption using a 128bit ASCII key. I've also put all the MAC addresses of my wireless devices (laptop, desktop, psp) in and configured the wireless modem/router to only allow access to those MAC addresses.

Obviously when i set it i added the LinkTheater's MAC address too, but it just didn't want to connect with WEP enabled. As a result i've disabled the WEP encryption for the time being so everything works as intended.

However, i'm a little worried as to whether my network is safe now. Is the only allow recognised MAC addresses filter enough, or have have i left my self wide open?

Username: Mph

Post Number: 3
Encryption is very important and WEP is not that secure. WPA or WPA2 are probably the best encryption schemes for the home user at the moment. Turning off the SSID broadcast is also wise. MAC filters have their place but are not enough alone. Change all the default passwords and names that come from the manufacturer.

There are usually upgrades (software from manufacturer) that will may allow you to connect your Theater to your network whether you go with WEP, WPA, or WPA2.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us