Logitech Z-5500 paired with Sblive! 5.1 Digital or X-fi xtreme music? (a spdif question)

Username: Houndawg

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I currently have the Sblive! 5.1 Digital Experience & the Logitech Z-5500. I use the coaxial connection (3.5mm mono plug to

rca) to hook them both as i mainly watch DVDs to get 5.1 discrete sound.

I am thinking of upgrading to Creative's X-fi xtreme music, but before i do so, i would like to ask 2 important questions.

And they are :

1) Does the x-fi xtreme have the digital out jack (spdif) like the Sblive Digital? Because if it doesnt't, then it won't be

any good to me.

2) If it does have the jack, will it sound superior to the sblive, when connected to the speakers? Or it doesn't matter

because it's all digital anyway?

What i'm trying to say is, if the sound is indeed better via the digital-out connection on the x-fi compared to the sblive,

then i will definitely buy the x-fi. But if it doesn't sound better, then i won't bother.

Thank you kindly for your answers.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2647

quote:

Does the x-fi xtreme have the digital out jack (spdif) like the Sblive Digital? Because if it doesnt't, then it won't be

No idea, that's a pretty esoteric question in the first place. Sorry I can't help more.

quote:

If it does have the jack, will it sound superior to the sblive, when connected to the speakers?

I'm confused about what connection you have currently. There are three main types at the moment. Analog, Coaxial (digital), and optical (digital). I'm assuming you have analog in which case going to digital for audio transfer is, really to a shocking degree, amazing. The sound clarity and channel seperation are probably the most impressive aspects.

If you, in fact, are using coaxial, the sound difference is slight, but not large enough to make much of a difference.

Post Number: 3
i have a coaxial connection

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2653
Then it's probably not worth the upgrade unless you just want better sound processing.

Post Number: 4
ok. thanks jexx :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help