Comp-+uter turns back on

Username: Tunafish188

Post Number: 1
I have a new computer that was custom made for me Amd 3000+, 160 gig HD, DVD+-RW, 1 gig mem, MSI TV card, MSI motherboard, MSI wireless. Ususally when I log off and then shut down windows will reboot. I am running Windows XP Home service pack 2, but it did do it before it was upgraded to service pack 2. I have had it in for service 5 times. They have replaced the motherboard, HD, TV card. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 147
Service pack 2 is FULL of errors; the best way to go about securing a PC is to shut down services and logical pathways not needed. Then use a firewall and antivirus software along with something hmmm say NOT Internet Explorer (mozilla firebird). lol Microsoft has a tendency to fix one problem and create 12 others (probably why *nix is used on anything of corporate importance around here). Have you tried not using SP2? I don't understand why they would have replaced the HD or even the motherboard; those are both extremes for that problem and should be addressed last... The TV card, wtf? lol That makes absolutely no sense bro, I hope you didn't pay for those "repairs" sounds like they don't know what they are doing!

Username: Tunafish188

Post Number: 4
I have not paid for any of the repairs. I actually had this problem before service pack 2 was loaded. When I first got the system it wasn't on it and then during the second or third repair they added it. I am wondering if it could be the power supply. I agree I don't think they know what they are doing. I just want the computer to work correctly. What do you suggest instead of IE? I also use norton 2004 and a new program (loaded last nite) Ghostsurf. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Use mozilla firebird, a HUGE contributor to spyware you pick up is due to Internet Explorer. IE is one of the most buggy applications out there. There are so many exploits that allow attackers to manipulate files and upload adware/spyware/backdoors/viruses to your PC, IE is unbelievable. Mozilla has an AWESOME ad pop-up blocker and is no where near vulnerable to as much. If this problem didn't start when SP2 was added then yes, I would then go after the power supply. If you have another PC or if you have a friend that may let you borrow one, swap it with your PC and see if it boots correctly. Make sure the power supply is close to the former wattage (says on the side) and that it's the right form factor (ATX). If you need a cheap Power Supply go to www.directron.com, great prices, good services, never had a problem with them. Take it easy, and good luck. The best firewall that you can have if set correctly is a Router, which would be your best frontline defense. Through a router unless you're in a DMZ, have port forwarding set, or allow remote access no attacker can "touch" your PC directly, everything is filtered. Just do NOT use more then one software firewall on your PC, they sometimes conflict with each other and don't block things they should.

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 101
hey bro---i got an easier one for u. reinstall xp from scratch. sometimes sh1t happens during the installation of xp that screws everything up. trial and error i guess. also, go for ntfs. it is more stable than fat32. it is definately not a hardware problem. windows is messing up. it is telling your computer to restart when u click on shut down. u dont need to uninstall ie. all u need to do is get a program called spy sweeoer and that should take care of the adware and all the junk IE cannot filter out. the problem is with the installation of the operating system

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Actually using spysweaper solely is a worthless practice in a sense; it NEVER removes EVERYTHING and is a temporary fix. The correct way to defend against spyware is to stop it from entering the PC in the first place (shutting down unused logical pathways, firewall, not using IE, don't use P2P applications, and much more...). Just picking up the sh!t someone leaves on your doorstep when it happens does not solve anything; you need to catch the "person" in the act and stop it before it happens again or spysweeper will just become a lifetime repetitive process. You do not have to remove Internet Explorer but I would not use it for my primary web surfing... The amount of spyware, malicious scripts, & backdoors that make there way onto your computer through exploits in IE just by the click of a link are simply amazing. The application Internet Explorer further puts you at risk with its extensive vulnerabilities to Unicode URL spoofs allowing attackers to spoof trusted sites (bank sites for example) and gather information from you... Mozilla FireFox has an awesome integrated pop-up blocker and is in no way anywhere near vulnerable to the amount of exploits utilized on shady websites today targeted towards IE users (once again using an alternative web browser is another secure alternative to stopping spyware from entering your PC in the first place).

The power supply is a valid assumption; when they begin to go they fail, things crash, and they act weird (LATCHING PROBLEMS - restarting sporadically when they should not etc...) Just formatting HDs and hoping that it fixes the problem is no way to professionally repair a PC. The logical thing to do is first go through all the possible causes of the problem (process of elimination) before you spend any money or waste time backing up files and wiping out the OS. This prevents any later frustrations when you install windows only to find that was not the problem; then you waste even more time loading your backup files and applications again. When ever a PC screws up somewhere along the line it was caused by HUMAN ERROR. There is no such thing as a "hit and miss install"; you know what you are doing or you don't/your PC is stable or its not-it's plain and simple. I would analyze all probable causes and check them out before purchasing or formatting anything; get a hold on a good system utility application to fix Windows errors.

Yes NTFS is more stable but FAT32 IS faster when used with smaller HD capacities (under 20 Gigs ehhh... actually screw Windows all together).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us