Canon HI8 Analog camcorder

Username: Xfalcon

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I recently purchased a Canon HI8 analog camcorder to put some of my old 8mm tapes to DVD. The problem is when playing back my tapes I do not get any sound, I also do not get any sound when I run it thru the TV, I bought a manual and have made the right connections, however, the manual does not say anything about sound or audio, other than where to make the connections. Any help would be appreciated. One other thing, the camcorder was sold as in "perfect condition", I am trying to contact seller to verify. Thnx

Username: Aggie6680

Post Number: 1
A camcorder is an electronic device that combines a video camera and a video recorder into one unit. Equipment manufacturers do not seem to have strict guidelines for the term usage. Marketing materials may present a video recording device as a camcorder, but the delivery package would identify content as video camera recorder.

In order to differentiate a camcorder from other devices that are capable of recording video, like mobile phones and digital compact cameras, a camcorder is generally identified as a portable, self-contained device having video capture and recording as its primary function.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 608
To test out the new camcorder, I would buy a Hi8 tape and make a short recording and play it back.

Post Number: 2
I'm not sure what AGGIE is talking about.
Silver Member, I did take a new tape and made a short recording, there was no sound when played back

Post Number: 3
The question I am asking, is there some setting on the camcorder that may need to be turned on or adjusted for the sound to come on.
If you have no experience with this particular camcoder(Canon HI8) please do not respond to this post

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
First, relax!

Second, since you haven't mentioned a model for your camcorder, it is hard to know which one you want someone to have experience with.

Third, camcorders are pretty much the same just as if you can drive one car, you can drive another. It helps to READ the manual to see if there is something that is not the same.

Fourth, my suggestion is to see if the volume was inadvertently muted completely by a setting from the menu.

Post Number: 4
Canon ES60 8mm video camcorder HI8, as mentioned in my 1st post, I bought a manual for this model, it DOES NOT mention anything about sound or sound adjustment, only how to connect the cables to transfer or view the video, and as mentioned in my 3rd post, is there some setting that may need to be turned on or adjusted for the sound. Now since the manual does not say anything about sound or sound adjustment, hopefully someone with experience with this model can tell me if the sound is suppose to automatically play, can the sound be adjusted, where and how can it be adjusted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
You did not mention the model number ES60 in your first post; otherwise, I wouldn't have asked.

Post Number: 5
Boy, you're and idiot, as mentioned in my first post, I bought a manual for this model. Please do not respond to my post's anymore, let someone who is grown-up respond.

Post Number: 6
Better yet, I'll just take to the camera shop in town. Bye, a$$hole

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
I am an idiot???
Maybe you should look in the mirror.

You write If you have no experience with this particular camcoder(Canon HI8) please do not respond to this post, yet you do NOT mention which particular camcorder model you want someone to have experience with. Were you expecting someone to be clairvoyant????

Yeah, good luck trying to find help on that camcorder in a local store. Try the clueless at Best Buy, etc.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us