How do I transfer videos from a mini DV tape to my computer?

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 11, 2006john pv100
Archive through July 19, 2005cdub100
Archive through June 19, 2005keisha traylor100
Archive through April 28, 2005Gromit100
Archive through March 16, 2005M J M S100
Archive through February 10, 2005JohnY100
Archive through August 25, 2004Gunnar F100

Periscope Phe
Unregistered guest
Spetz, I have a Sony DCR-HC30E recently. I use USB to transfer memory card's "still images" and "video clip" to my latop computer. And I use 4 pins to 4 pins DV FireWire cable(optional from sony) to transfer my Mini DV tape movie to latop computer and write to VCD/DVD. note: DV FireWire is the best way to transfer tape video for editing and burn to CD.. Try it out. Good luck.

Username: Slidejt

Post Number: 1
Hi there everyone,

I bought a Sony HC21 and I took 8 mini DV tapes-worth of video in Australia and Africa. This is a lot of video to transfer to my laptop's hard drive so I am thinking of an external hard drive. Can I do the transfer direct to the hard drive or do I have to transfer to the laptop, then move the file to the external? And what firewire cables will I need? Obviously this is all new to me so thank you so much!

Unregistered guest
Hi Julie tessler,
you can USB cable to transfer memory card's "still images" and "video clip" to latop computer. And try to use 4 pins to 4 pins DV FireWire cable(optional from sony) to transfer Mini DV video tape to latop computer or external hard drive (200G or more on the market now)and write to a VCD/DVD CD. note: DV FireWire is the best way to transfer tape video for editing if you like with some edting softwares and burn to CD..in VCD or DVD format. Try it out. Good luck.

Username: Panauser

PuneIndia

Hi,

I have a Panasonic NV-GS15 camcorder. Can anyone guide me on how to download DV onto the PC for burning a CD. The camcorder has been supplied with a software for downloading still pictures from the SD card. How do I download the movie recorded on the digital tape ?

Unregistered guest
I got my firewire "i-Link" cable and can capture video into movie-maker. at first i tried it capturing at "best possible quality" but having edited the footage by the time i'd converted it to a wmv and played it in media player the bit rate WAS very high 2.1mbps but the picture jumped. and looking at the statistics of the file it said that depsite the best possible rate being 30frames a second the video i had made was doing only 9.

what could have affected this? is there a better way of capturing into windows movie maker?, as when using "best possible quality" (according to my pc) it comes out as good pic quality but poor frame rate. and jerky in other parts.

any suggestions?

Rajeswari.V
Unregistered guest
Hi Everyone,

I have got a JVC GR-DX57 camcorder with Digital Video tapes for capturing videos.I want to transfer the captured videos to computer.The default software which came with the camcorder was IMAGE MIXER 1.7.But this specifies the details of transfering only using a memory card.Can anyone please suggest me a software to transfer the captured videos to PC.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Raji.V

Username: Pking

Hi,

Good Day to you all.

This might sound repetitive. Please bear with me.

I have a JVC GR-D270 camcorder. I want to transfer the video files recorded on Mini DV tapes on to my computer. Unfortunately the Image Mixer 1.7 software that I have, does not recognise the camcorder. The interface is USB. I do not have a firewire cable or firewire port on my computer. Is there a solution available using the USB?
Thankyou

Username: Aramacha

Bangalore, Karnataka India

Hi Gromit,

I have an Old JVC GR-SXM61 Handycam. Is there a way I can transfer the video onto my computer.

Thanks for your help.
Anand

Unregistered guest
Cannot Transfer from PC to DV Tape, Any Ideas?
I have a Canon MV830i, have transfered via firewire and ulead mediastudio Pro 7 to the PC done my edit now cannot transfer back. The camcorder goes to dv in, it says it is recording, the pc says its sending the pictures, but nothing goes on the tape.
Anyone got any good ideas.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I recently bought a Sony handy cam. When I tried to transfer the video to my PC, the camcoder does not copy the whole video. It gets cut in between or only some portions are getting transfered. Is this because of any wrong camcoder settings or is it because of the low disk space? I am using standard Sony software (Picture Package) for this purpose.

Another issue is the amount of disk space taken by the copied video. It is really huge. A small video clip takes gigabytes of disk space. (in .avi format). How can I change the format?

Which is the perfect software for this purpose, so that I could get a normal movie which a decent amount of disk space?

Thanks and regards,
Pankaj.

Unregistered guest
I JUST PURCHASE AN PANASONIC PV-G150 MiniDV CAMCORD WITH A FIREWIRE CABLE 4 PIN TO 6 PIN AND I BOUGHT A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH A FIREWIRE 6 PIN PORT MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I GET THE VIDEO FROM THE MINIDV TAPE OR CAMCORDTO THE HARD DRIVE?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5111
What kind of Ext HD is it? Did you read the manual on it, like backing up data? Is it even capable of backing up direct from a camcorder?

Anonymous

PPankaj,
I have pretty much the same setup,, ditch the sony software and get yourself a copy of Ulead VidioStudio 9,, make sure you have a firewire card and simply plug into the camera, Follow the capturing instructions for Ulead. As for the change of format,, don't even think about it,, AVI at the present time is best format for your PC and DVD burning.

Unregistered guest
Is there anything on the market that you can put your mini dv tapes in and play them because my camcorder wont play tapes it just records them

Anonymous

I have a SC-D353 Samsung camcorder and a brand new computer. I can import the video files from both tape and a memory stick, but when I try to edit the video in either movie maker or ulead video studio 7 it all crashes. Any suggestions.

Username: Yukkerz

I have a SC-D353 Samsung camcorder and the cam says "DV-IN" but pc doesnt see it, im using firewire cable to connect it, i just bought new card and wire and nothing.
also i have sp2 and i went to try that trick but i don't have the old sp1 installed, pc came with sp2
any help please please please.
post back on here or in email- yukker@comcast.net
or im me at simplyf0rg0tten. PLEASE HELP

Username: Supercoach19

Post Number: 2
I have a Sony handycam and use Pinnacle 9 software to capture video to my computer. The software tells me that I can only capture 17 minutes on my hard drive... thats ok so being on a net work I source another computer which has a larger capacity hard drive and select it. Pinnacle tells me that it will allow 45 mins of capture. My problem is that capture still stops at 17 minutes. Why is this? Could it be that because Pinnacle deafults to the capacity of my hard drive when actually capturing??? If so is there a work around?

Tenno
Unregistered guest
Hi Mike,

Please check ur hardisk first, whether it have NTFS or FAT32 file system. FAT32 have a limitation of 4GB data only.... for video editing, better to use hardisk/partition with NTFS file system...

p/s: Sorry for my bad english.

Username: Roberts

Redmond , WA USA

Post Number: 8
Just to clarify for the post. Pal is 25 frames per second NTSC is 30 frames per second.

Tenno
Unregistered guest
Anybody can google that information. Who are you clarifying that for? Are you trying to impress us with your knowledge? Guess what, its not working... people are asking for help not useless comments. Help more brag less.

Tenno
Unregistered guest
Hmmm...

Robert Smith, that last post is not mine...

p/s: Sorry for my bad English

Username: Bhavalka

HELP!!!!

I have a Sony HC30 Camcorder and I am using the Picture Package software that came with it to create VCD's
Here is what happens.
I open Picture Package VCD Maker from Desktop.
I choose "BURN VCD" in my camcorder LCD and then choose EXEC on LCD
It says "Insert a recordable CR-R disc" on LCD.
The software says "There is no disc in the destination drive" when there already is a disc in there.
Does anyone else have the same problem and have you found a way to get round this???

Thank you

BeccaBone
Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,

I have a Canon ZR65 Mini DV. I am have problems with it being detected on my computer so I can't upload video or capture video. It can detect it when I'm uploading pictures but not video. I am using a firewire cable. Please help.

Thank You

BeccaBone
Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,

I have a Canon ZR65 Mini DV. I am have problems with it being detected on my computer so I can't upload video or capture video. It can detect it when I'm uploading pictures but not video. I am using a firewire cable. Please help.

Thank You

BeccaBone
Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,

Thank You

Unregistered guest
Hi

I have bought a panasonic NV DS37B. I am having problems with trying to transfer my video footage onto pc, the camera came with an ieee firewire cable (9 pin) which is the older version but no software. I ahev been told different things by different people, some say I just need any indows media packgae others say i need to install a firewire pci card into my pc. Please can you help as I am very confused of what I need to do. I can find software to down load still but not the videos. your help very much appreciated. Cheers

trocadero
Unregistered guest
hi and help
fistly i live in uk,have a acer travelmate 4000wlmi it states that it has dvd-dual(support+-rw)want to convert and burn mpg movies to disc,i have tried various software but no sucsess.i have both dvd-rw/r and dvd+rw/r machines to play back on.

thanks in advance

tigercrazed
Unregistered guest
I get the same message as the person with the Sony HC30 camcorder. I have a DCR-TRV460. Why does it keep saying there is no disk in the drive? It is driving me crazy, no pun intended.

Username: Bibincjoy

PATHANAMTHITTA, KERALA INDIA

Post Number: 3
Is there any other software that can be used to transfer video from sony dcr hc42e.
please help me.

Username: Cbaj17

Can anybody here give me some advice on how to choose disc format?I just bought a panasonic mini dvd camcorder and im using dvd-rw disc.when i put the disc the first time they ask me to format it which i did but i need to choose between V(video)or VR(video recording)the manual doesnt explain much the difference between the two maybe you guys can explain me specifically and tell me what should i use.THANKS..

Gold Member

Post Number: 7019
Bibin, there are plenty of video editing software on the market. Do you own research instead of asking for a hand out all the time.

Username: Hunter1966

Gromit
I have a sony dcr-tvr140 camcorder and need software. I downloaded the proper driver from Sony but Can't find Pixela. I was wondering since I keep reading what garbage Pixela is if there is any other compatible software that can be download free. Maybe you can help me with this.
Thanks,
Jason

Username: Hunter1966

Gromit
I have a sony dcr-tvr140 camcorder and need software. I downloaded the proper driver from Sony but Can't find Pixela. I was wondering since I keep reading what garbage Pixela is if there is any other compatible software that can be download free. Maybe you can help me with this.
Thanks,
Jason

Username: Nargis

Nargis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:24 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

I have bought a panasonic NV DS37B. I am having problems with trying to transfer my video footage onto pc, the camera came with an ieee firewire cable (9 pin) which is the older version but no software. I ahev been told different things by different people, some say I just need any indows media packgae others say i need to install a firewire pci card into my pc. Please can you help as I am very confused of what I need to do. I can find software to down load still but not the videos. your help very much appreciated. Cheers

Username: Barton261

Hi, I recently purchased a JVC GR-D270 camcorder. It uses mini DV tapes and I can also use SD memory cards. I am having the hardest time figuring out how to transfer my videos from the tape to my pc. I have firewire capability but currently no cable. I have been trying to use usb 2.0. When I plug the camcorder into my pc it basically does nothing as if I havent done a thing. If I put the memory card in the camcorder then it says mass storage device but will only allow my take and transfer still photos. The software that came with my camcorder is more or less useless. I have been accessing everything from my computer as it shows up as a remove-able drive. Is there anyone that can better explain what I need and how to get this to work. Thanks, Josh

Username: Gravelayer

Ran into this same issue on my Canon ZR700. USB only works with the SD memory card. You have to use Fire Wire to get the image off the DV tape. So I ran up to Worst Buy to get a fire wire card and cable. Cheapest I could get was $80 plus tax. I refused to do and and orderd from newegg.com for $42 total with 2 day shipping. Why does anyone buy from local shops anymore?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8221
Because it is there.

Username: Srimpd

I have a Panasonic NV-GS27GC Mini DV, and tried transferring video from my Mini DV through a USB cable using MotionDV Studie LE, but could not succeed. Can anyone plz.explain what am I suppose to do for capturing video from my Mini DV ?

Username: Barton261

You have to use a fire wire cable... If your camcorder supports it. Its fairly simple you just turn on your camcorder to the play back video mode plug in the firewire cable and you can actually take all the video off your mini DV tape using the capture video feature in Windows Movie Maker.

Username: Rodvis

The Firewire side of my Panasonic Camcorder stopped working... it is just past warranty status, I have doubt checked my firewre cards and cables and tried the camcorder on another computer... the computer does not even recognize that it s plugged in. I tried a friends camcorder and it worked fine... soooo, because I don't want to buy a new camcorder to transfer mini DV tapes (I have a ton and do video editting as a hobby)... Everything else works fine on the camcorder and it is not really worth replacing...

is there a mini DV deck or something out there that has a sole purpose of connecting to a computer for transfering tapes?

some that would as simple as inserting the tape and accessing it on the computer (like putting a DVD in the computer)... or is this just a professional thing that is way too expensive for a hobby guy like me?

Thanks

Username: Gravelayer

Just wanted to chime in on how EASY it is to use Windows Movie maker with a DV camcorder and fire wire.
I had no idea when connected it would rewind the tape and stop recording by itself (if you chose so) when the video stops on the tape!
The only thing I wish it had would be a burn to DVD option vs only a burn to CD option :-(

Username: Rodvis

i use Adobe Premiere... and I have 560 Gigs of hard drive space... I just dump the full tape on to the hard drive each time I did editing.... at least before my firewire port on my camcorder stopped working...

Username: Gss

I have been using my PVGS 120 for a year now and have bunch of mini DV's that I would like to burn on DVDs as back ups. My questions are as follows?

1. The software provided with the camera does not let me capture video, only stills. Is that correct or am I understanding that incorrectly?

2. If I need another piece of software for capturing video, which one should I get? Recommendations?

3. Can I use USB 2.0 for capturing the video onto my PC or do I need to use fire wire? I have both options available on my PC.

4. Is there any software that is recommended for editing the video?

5. Are there any recommendations for DVD media to use to last me for years?

Thanks,
GSS

Username: Elisonex

Hi there i got a canon cam and i can upload pics form teh memory card but how to i upload vids fromt eh dv tape it has a DV ports in cam and comp but where do i get the cable for such events and will this deff put the vids onto my comp for editing?

Username: Kurdt69

Horsham, Sussex United Kingdom

Hi, Gromit.

I have a Sony Handycam that records onto DV Tapes. I really want to upload them onto my computer but I don't know what hardware I should have or what software I need or where to start.

So, what equipment and software do I need and what do I do? It'd be much appreciated if you could answer me, or email me at grungy@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks,

Kurdt69

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 585
Josh,

$30 should get you a firewire card and cable for your desktop PC if it does not already have one on the motherboard. It will likely be supplied with basic transfer software. Windows Moviemaker also works fine. Most laptops already have a firewire port meaning that all you need is a cable. If you scan through these pages you'll find a lot of posts from me describing in more detail. Good luck!

Username: Nkrivobokov

Is there any way to capture the video from the mini dv camera to the computer if it doesn't see it once I plug it through the firewire?

My laptop wouldn't recognize the camcorder and does not show any messages.

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
Nick,

If Device Manager isn't showing the camcorder, the applications won't be able to capture from it. Get the basic connection debugged first, then the rest is relatively easy. Can you find my "connection cookbook" on other pages?

Cheers.

Username: Rxs_mex

windows 2000 operating system, canon zr500 mini dv camcorder, loaded and hooked up internal AFW 4300 host adapter card, loaded firewire software, and cord between pc and camera, device manager lists IEEE 1394 bus host controller and camera under imaging devices...working properly...loaded Nero editing software which came with firewire adapter. trying to move tape on mini dv to pc...camera is not listed in the explorer list to add....is there another free editing software available? can find free "windows movie maker", but appears to be only compatable for XP...is there free software for w2000? or...any ideas why camera is not listed on the available drive listing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
Amigo,

Your DV camera won't be listed as a "drive" in the same way as an HDD. It shows up as a device that video capture programmes can import from.

Windows Movie Maker is only available for XP. If you look at common PC magazines that come supplied with software CDs, you might find copies of things like Ulead Videostudio free of charge, although probably not full or latest versions.

Hope that helps

Username: Adilj

hi all and i must say u all r doin gr8 job helpin oderz

well from all dis i understood dat no matter wich ever camera it iz, no matter wich ever software you use, use FIREWIRE for convertion.

Well im havin Panasonic NV-GS47. itz gud. i myself use USB cable n d bundled software SweetMovieLife. i have some questions to ask plz help me out

1. i have a laptop wich has a firewire port but d lap iz 1.8 Ghz n 256 memory whereaz im havin a computer in office 3.2 Ghz 1 GB memory widout d firewire card. so wot do u recommend do i buy a firewire card for office computer n convert d moviez dere or latop will also give gud results.

2. iz dere any gud software u recommend for d conversion process or d bundled softwarez r also gud?

3. wen i convert thru USB cable d converted movie iz in GBz. so will d size decrese wen i will use firewire cable? because i use another software to convert d avi 2 dvd or vcd.

4. wen i convert using USB cable d date and time are not shown in d converted movie whereaz wen i watch it in camera, it shows both date and time.

5. and lastly wich firewire card iz gud i mean in terms of quality and also wich firewire cable?

Thanks alot. Hope to hear soon so i can buy deze stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
Hi Adilj

1) First, try uploading DV video to your laptop. If you can transfer without losing frames, you do not need to involve your office computer. Some companies might not be very happy about you doing that in any case.

2) Software bundled with firewire cards, or Windows Movie Maker should work fine for video transfer and editing. Personally, I use MGI Videowave II (now owned by Roxio). When you buy your DVD burner, make sure it is supplied with DVD authoring software.

3) Probably, your file size will INCREASE when you transfer via firewire, as it is automatically saved in "native" format. File size is 12G per hour normally.

4) Date and time is not transferred when you upload digital video to your computer. It's just a fact.

5) I bought my firewire card and cable purely on price ($30 approx). It works fine. Just check the cable is made reasonably well.

Cheers

Thanx Gromit for ur valuable advice. Really thnx. I waited all these days so I can view your reply and take the next step. Well your point 3, what shall I do when the native is saved in 12 GB, i mean how shall i convert it to DVD then. Please recommend a good software as 12 GB is going to be reduced to 4.7 GB.
Point 4, is there no way to print date and time. I mean whats the use of using a digital camera if no date and time. I know if we transfer via VHS date and time will come so you are sure no way
Finally the quality will increase if we transfer via Firewire?

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
Adilj,

To convert to DVD, I use Ulead MovieFactory. I tested several DVD authoring packages and concluded that MovieFactory gave the best result in terms of video quality. Video quality was important to me as I use the camcorder to film my kids at a very special age. MovieFactory does allow one hour of DV (12G) to fit onto a single-sided DVD (4.7 G)

Point 4: The point of digital is that it is transferable, can be manipulated, readily copied, edited, improved and archived. If you want to check the filming date, look at the original file details. Or, when you make a DVD, include the date and time in the menu.

If your transfer from camcorder to PC using USB results in an .avi file sized at 12G per hour, then your camcorder must be able to transfer DV via USB, and no improvement will be gained by using firewire. Last time I investigated (1 year ago), this didn't seem to be an available option on camcorders.

Cheers.

Post Number: 4
Thanx again for your reply

Well many of my confusion are cleared.

The last question which is on my mind, shall I buy the Firewire cable or not. My camcorder supports both. So shall I buy it (for improved results) or USB results are also the same???

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
Adilj,

Download exactly 5 minutes of video using USB. Then post me again, specifying the file size and the file suffix (e.g. .avi, .wmv, etc). You might have to play around with your folder options to see the suffix.

If you can do that, I'll be able to state whether there is any performance benefit to be gained using firewire.

Cheers.
(PS: if you can transfer full quality DV using USB, you are lucky! Firewire, although best quality, is a little hairy sometimes)

Post Number: 5
Thnx again for ur reply

Well I have downloaded 7:40 and its on 1.62 GB and its avi file format. Now whats next that I should do?
And what did u meant full full quality DV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
Adilj,

My file size calculations indicate that your camcorder is capable of transferring native quality video over USB. You are a lucky guy! You don't need to delve into firewire.

By "full quality" or "native quality" I mean that if you transfer the file FROM your PC back into the DV camcorder, then the quality will be identical to the file that was originally uploaded from the camcorder, i.e. the trip to the PC and back made no difference to the quality.

Most experts agree that .avi files are best for editing as they do not have compression inter-frame. That makes it much easier for editing programmes to cut down to a specific frame.

Cheers.

Post Number: 6
Thnx for the feedback.

So its all set, no firewire right.

Actually I was concerned about firewire because the video which I transfered from camcorder had some minute horizontal lines, a bit noticable. But the sound is awesome, no frame delays. So I thought maybe this problem will be solved by Firewire.

Can you comment on this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
Adilj,

Unless you have easy access to a low cost firewire card, I'd be inclined to try some other avenues first, such as:

1) If you taker a short .avi file that you uploaded and transfer it onto a friend's computer, do you get the same problem?

2) Are you absolutely sure that when you play back direct from your camcorder to the TV, those lines aren't there?

3) What happens when you use USB to transfer a short file to a different computer?

4) Can your computer play other .avi files perfectly?

If the results of the above point towards trying firewire, it's not a big deal. They only cost $30 or so and are normally a breeze to install. But please let me know what happens next!

Cheers.

Post Number: 7
Hi GROMIT how r u well im sorry i was outta town and couldnt reply

by the way i bought forewire...but still the horizontal lines are there.

4) Yes my computer can play other .avi files perfectly

3) Same horizontal lines

1) i never uploaded any file...i always downloaded from handycam to pc

2) this i will chk today and answer u

thnx

Silver Member

Post Number: 601
Sorry, I didn't word my original questions very well. What I meant was:

1) If you use USB to transfer a small file to your computer, then copy that file onto a friend's PC (maybe via CD), do THEY also see those annoying lines?

However, your answer to question 3 appears to supercede the need for step 1, i.e. one could expect the same problem to exist.

Can you use your video editing programme to extract a frame that exhibits the lines and post it here?

By the way, there is an artifact known as "combing" where you get lots of little VERTICAL lines, due to most systems not being inherently progressive scan. I don't suppose that is your problem, is it?

Cheers.

Post Number: 8
Hi Gromit

Well i just confirmed that my friendz PC is not showing those lines. My office PC and my home PC both are showing. Now what can be the problem.

And your last line, just went over my head. Didnt understand a word.

And I try PRINTSCREEN button to capture the image but itz not working. Can you help???

And you use ULEAD to transfer 12 GB to a DVD???

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
Adilj,

Is this the sort of thing you are seeing?

I do use Ulead Moviefactory to convert .avi files up to 12G to DVD. It works fine.

Cheers

Upload

Post Number: 9
HI Gromit

Well these are the exact lines I see during playback.

So I am pretty sure that you have a remedy for this...

Username: Cowgurl486

Hi Gromit,
I just got a JVC GR-D347U and I recorded a freinds wedding last night and am looking for some options on how to transfer from the mini DV tape to my computer. I want to download clips of about 5-10 mins into the computer to be used in a video. I think I have a sufficent editor (WinDVD Creator) but am not sure how to get the clips onto my computer so that I can edit them. I'm trying to make a dvd of the clips for the couple but am not sure how much I can fit onto a disc. Please help me with what I need to download or buy to make this happen. I'm confused as to how to edit the video together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
Adilj,

You need to take a look at this website:

http://www.avdeals.ca/classroom/Proscanexplained.htm

I managed to reduce interleaving distortion on playback on my computer by running the chipset utility CD ROM which includes a graphics accelerator. But I believe it is impossible to remove it completely as you will appreciate from the above link....

By the way, you might want to experiment with CODECs designed for computer playback as they may be progressive scan by definition. But if DVDs are your end objective, that would mean two versions of every clip.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 608
Kimberly,

To start this project, you will probably need to buy one or two things (all specific products are just suggestions - each person has their own preferences):

1) A firewire card to connect your camcorder to your PC.

Don't try to use USB unless there is absolutely no alternative. Firewire cards are very cheap (approx $20) and normally come bundled with a cable and video editing software. The editing software is also used for transferring the video to your PC. Both PCI and PCMCIA versions are readily available. For JVC camcorders, use of firewire cards made with TI chipsets is recommended. An unconfirmed list of PCI cards with TI chipset is:
ADS Tech-PYRO PCI 64 (Circuit City)
Belkin F5U503 (Wal Mart, Comp USA)
Pinnacle DVClip
Pinnacle DV/AV
Syba VIA (pcimicro.com)

An unconfirmed list of PCMCIA cards with TI chipset is:
Belkin F5U513
ADS Tech-Pyro 1394DV for Notebooks

2) A DVD burner

The more expensive models will normally come equipped with quite decent software for making DVDs. By "making DVDs" I mean the way you set up menus, file structures etc. This process is also know as "authoring".

3) Some software

Ulead make a suite of programmes that will cover all your needs. It's easy to use and actually comes bundled with some DVD burners, such as Pioneer. There are two types of software: capture/edit and DVD authoring.

Capture/edit:

Ulead VideoStudio: supplied with Pioneer DVD burners (retail version), many firewire cards, and can sometimes be found free on the cover of PC Magazines.
Roxio VideoWave (the one I usually use). I got mine supplied with a firewire card, but normally I think you have to buy this one
Moviemaker: supplied as part of Windows XP.

Authoring:

Ulead Moviefactory: supplied with Pioneer DVD burners (retail version) or can be bought on-line

Just FYI, the basic steps of making home DVDs are:

1) connect the camera using firewire (you only need to buy a card if your PC is not already equipped with firewire ports) and capture the raw footage. An important note here: make sure at least the camcorder, and preferably the PC is turned off when you connect the cable into your camcorder. This is to prevent possible damage to the camcorder firewire port.
2) edit the raw footage into useable video clips
3) drag and drop the clips into a DVD authoring package and burn the DVD

You can check out this guide for assistance on using Ulead VideoStudio to transfer video from your camcorder to your PC:http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/vsone.htm

A lot of the information in the above guide is superfluous though - if you just read the first and last pages you probably have enough to get you started.

I don't have a "how to" reference for MovieFactory but it is quite intuitive to use. You can also find a lot of "how to" guides at www.videohelp.com.

Hope that helps.

Username: Cowgurl486

Grommit,
Thanks so much for your help it turns out that all I needed was a 4pin to 4pin firewire cord and once I plugged it in my computer prompted me to inport the video using InterVideo WinDVD Creator and that was it! Thanks SO MUCH!

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
Glad it worked out. Post again if you have other questions, although I am starting a new job next week so I might not be reading this web page so much in the future.

Cheers.

Username: Dgates41

Hi Gromit,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me.

I recently purchased a Canon Elura 100 Mini DV camcorder. I would like to transfer videos I have taken to my PC. I purchased a firewire card and DV cable and these seem to work (I can see my camcorder icon show up in My Computer).

However, I have no idea how to access video. I see no video files in My Computer, and I am using Windows Movie Maker. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Username: Jontynz

hi guys, love your work here.

i've read about half the internet trying to fix a problem i'm having with connecting my Sony DSCTRV22E DV camcorder with my PowerBook G4. I have the firewire cable, and i used to import the DV onto my eMac with no hassles. But now this new, 1.67GHz, 2GB Rammed-up piece of crap gets overloaded after importing a measley 3 or 4 seconds of DV.

I'm using iMovie to import, and when it chokes, the screen goes blank and says "camcorder not connected".

There's about 25 GB of space on here. Can you tell me why it might be getting choked up when importing?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Jonty

Username: Tracedotboy

TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP

I have got a Panasonic NV-GS27EB

50.5 K
nvgs27ebs_full.jpg
"Upload"

and all i want to do is transfer video that i have on my minidv tape on to my computer with the same high quality i have the usb cable but when i connect the cable and use a program to transfer a video they say no device is connected or somthing but only window movie maker allows me to transfer off it but it compresses its movie quality. Anyone know what i am ment to do????????????????????????

Thanks

50.5 K
nvgs27ebs_full.jpg
"Upload"

Username: Reggie6966

Australia

Hi R.L
I have a panasonic NV-GS27GN.
I have downloaded all my movies onto my PC using the USB cable and windows movie maker programme on my PC.
I have made some good movies but... I have also lost the quality and I dont know why.
Is the quality being lost by using windows movie maker programme? do i need a better programme?? or is it because i'm downloading thru USB instead of Firewire? I do not know, but it is frustrating and I also need to sort out this issue.
any info is appreciated,
Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13859
It's because you are using USB.

Username: Flashana

Podgorica/kraljevo, Serbia&monte... Serbia&monte...

hi everyone
I am very new in all this I just bought SONY DCR-HC96E and was looking how to transfer video from camcoder to pc beacouse I was transfering it at begining at very simple way ! I plug camcoder to TV and press play and then I press rec on my DVD PLAYER_RECORDER so I burn the damn dvd in 1-2 hours without pc but I was wondering can I do it quicker?

Username: Worldtron

KarachiPakistan

Yellow everyone !! I brought this Sony DCR-HC96E camcoder from UK. The problem is, My computer is unable to recongnzie it when i connect my camcoder using the firewire, im using WIN XP Pro. Connection through USB works fine, but i want to BURN DVD not VCD. Somebody please help. I cant figure out whats the problem. Any expert here. my email: malik@go4b.net.pk

Bronze Member
Username: Mohaimenk

Post Number: 59
c is for cookie???

Username: Vlta

Hi Gromit!

Can you please help me with this!

I have a Samsung Digital Cam VP-D372WH and have footage on the DV tapes that I need to transfer to my PC. There is no USB connection on the camera. There is DV output but that is all.

Any suggestions????

Username: Ravikiranvk

HyderbadIndia

how to transfer video from my analog handy cam having an output of audio and video jack to my computer

Username: Cat78

Any help please!

I have a Samsung Digital Cam VP-D372WH and have footage on the DV tapes that I need to transfer to my PC. There is no USB connection on the camera. There is DV output but that is all.
I tried to import my footage using a DV deck on an Apple mac and the footage was all sped up, i am confused?? I have a presentation in a week and need to edit this footage using Final cut pro - how do i import my dv tapes and is it compatible? any suggestions???? Much thanks

Username: Xmasterofmagicx

Well along with every one else i am also have some troubles i have bought a firewire port and i have a cable and it came with a disk that i installed it was ulead VS8 so now with failed atempts i got it working...no when i capture the video i get lines and when i stop the capture and go to edit to veiw it it has like wigglely lines on every thing that is moving is there something i am doing wrong

Username: Kappaa

i bought sony camcoder hdr ux5
initially i recorded some videos on mini dvd n it was transferd to my computer but for last week whatever i recorded on same n new mini dvd is visible only on camcorder but when i try to connect to PC it keep showing "connecting" status. when i try to copy it vie dvd burner, it do not read the mini dvd at all.
it goes with so many computers.
i have proper codecs installed on my PC

plz help me

Username: Charlesm

Port Morien, Nova Scotia Canada

How do I transfer videos from a mini DV tape to my computer (Ultimately to Disc)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 241
No matter how many times this question gets asked, the only way to do it is via Firewire aka IEEE1394 aka i.Link

Do you have a FIrewire port on your computer?

If not, buy a standalone DVD recorder with DV input from Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, etc. This is the easiest way to get video onto DVD.

Username: Poloelex77

Katra, Jammu and ka... 1ndia

hello sir,
i haver a camcorder model SONY DCR TRV 22 . but that not captureing video from my dv.
plz help me

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Amit Sharma,

Describe what you have done and describe what exact problems you are having.

Username: Pcrowley805

I have a digital camcorder that records to mini-DV tapes. I also have an adapter that allows me to send playback of recordings to a USB port on my computer. I have made several attempts to convert tapes to multimedia files, but have run into problems. I can convert some of my tapes with no problem, but other tapes have repeatedly proven to be problematic. Symptoms are:

Converting using Windows Movie Maker: Midway throught he conversion, Movie Maker encounters some kind of problem and has to shut down. Data converted to that point is written to a file, but the file is apparently not closed off properly, because the file is not indexed. I can replay it, but I cannot jump into it at random places, apparently because of the lack of indexing. More importantly, the file has only captured part of the original tape.

Converting using ArcSoft ShowBiz DVD 2: The entire tape runs through and the process seems to complete normally. However, playback of the resulting multimedia file reveals that beyond a point, the video is very jerky. Also, there's apparently no indexing beyond that point, because I cannot jump to random places beyond that point and resume playback.

I'm guessing the problems arise in the process of translating the data from one format to another, because I CAN successfully burn data off the tapes directly to a DVD (a process which, I'm guessing requires either no reformatting, or a different kind of reformatting).

A friend has suggested I try using Roxio, but I'm reluctant to spend the time and money to do so because I fear I'll just get the same result again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
My thought is buy a standalone DVD recorder from Toshiba, Sony, etc.

That's how I have transfered all my miniDV video to DVD.

Whether you want to listen is another.

Thing is, my objective is not to get the data onto DVD. I'd like to get it into a multimedia file so I can edit it. I've got hours of stuff that really needs to be edited down to maybe an hour or so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
get it onto DVD-RW using DVD recorder
take to PC and edit using appropriate software

As I've said, I CAN successfully burn the video directly off the camcorder onto DVD. "Successfully" in this context means that I can then plug the resulting DVD into a DVD player and watch the video.

It had occurred to me to do as you suggest, ieee488, but I hadn't yet tried it. I just did, and it doesn't solve the problem. When I try to read the resultng DVD with my computer, in an attempt to reformat the data and write it to disk, the computer tells me that it cannot read the disk and that the disk might be corrupted. Furthermore, the computer apparently doesn't even recognize the disk as a video disk, because it does not launch certain applications that it normally launches when a video disk is loaded into the tray. Apparently whatever is tripping up my attempts to go from tape to hard disk is also creating a DVD that the computer cannot read.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Username: Heartmac

Can't upload video via i-link or firewire. Stops after few seconds..Solution remove 1394 Network Adapter or disable in Device Manager. Microsoft furnished me with the answer.

Post Number: 4
I think I've solved my problem. I've replaced the USB cable with a Firewire cable, and the problem is apparently gone. I guess the USB just didn't quite have enough bandwidth.

Username: Stubbs7077

Gromit,

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=8691&post=390225#POST390225

what if your computer doesnt have a port for the fire wire cable i was told to try buying an av box where you can upload anything with a av out put to it

Post Number: 5
probably easier just to buy a pci-firewire card for the computer. Here's one for $8: http://www.wowparts.com/store/products/020602-01010.html.

Username: Maaya

Hi!

I have a JVC GR-D850U and I want to transfer the videos on its tape to my laptop which has a Windows 7 OS. It didn't come with a data cable so I just bought a 4-pin FireWire to USB cable. When I plug the cable to my camera and to my laptop, nothing happens -- the laptop seems to not be able to "see" the camera.

So... what do I do now? I really need to start with the editing of the video on the tape, the edited video is needed on Monday:|

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
If your laptop has either a PCMCIA/PC Card or ExpressCard slot, then buy a Firewire card for it.

Otherwise, you would need to buy a standalone DVD recorder with Firewire input and connect up your camcorder to it.

You wasted your money on the Firewire-USB cable.

Username: Reff

I have a Dell 5160 pc and JVC grDVM5u camcorder and am trying to transfer clips from a mini-dv to my computer. I am able to connect the JVC to the Dell via firewire but the camera is not being recognized by the PC. I have MovieMaker but it too cannot detect the JVC. Any help is most greatly appreciated

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
What's your operating system?

When Vista came out, people who had working Firewire connection no longer did.

One thing you can try, is to power down your PC. Plug in the camcorder. Turn it on. Then turn on the PC.

Username: Reff

Thanks IEE488. I am running XP. Good idea on powering down and up hte PC, hadn't thought of that but will try. I figure there must be some driver that I need and don't have. The literature on the JVC doesn't mention ANYTHING about a PC connection, only editing through a TV or VCR but I'm sure if you have the right connections and drivers, it should work somehow. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
You might want to take a look over at the website http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net
for help on doing this using Windows Movie Maker program

Username: Bhavin

HI ALL,

I HAVE SONY MINI DV HANDYCAM MODEL HI ALL,

I HAVE SONY DCR-TRV19 MiniDV Handycam. I HAVE LOTS OF MINI DV CASSETTES. CAN ANYBODY GUIDE ME WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TRANSFER MINI DV TO MY PC AND THEN TO BURN CD OR DVD. OS FOR PC IS WIN7. REGARDS.BHAVIN MODHA. bvmodha@hotmail.com

Username: Genederble

i have a bunch of dv tapes that i took on a sony hdr fx1 camera that i borrowed......my buddy moved away and I didnt transfer the footage from the tapes to my computer......how do i do this without buying a new camera? HELP! THanks!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
Your only other options:

1.) Pay someone else to do it.

2.) There are miniDV players, but they aren't cheap.

Username: Genederble

eh, i figured. rats. thanks anyways
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help