JVC GR-D370U mini dv to pc.....i really need some help

Username: Zach17

Post Number: 1
i have a jvc gr-d370u, and i can't figure out how to move the video from the minidv tape to my pc. i have all of the firewire stuff i need and a video editor. when i plug in the camera to my pc it makes a noise and then nothing after that. i have been searching forums for weeks now and i still can't get it to work.

Username: Ktdid_23

DeBary, FL United States

Post Number: 2
I am trying to do the same. Have you had any luck?

not yet

Post Number: 3
when i plug in the camera it says that it doesn't have any drivers installed for it .does anyone know where i could get them

Username: Biowolfman

1. You need Windows XP with all the latest updates.
2. You need a 6 pin to 4 pin DV cable.
3. You need a firewire card.
Once you plug everything up, launch Windows Movie Maker (download from Microsoft if not installed). That should do it.

One important note. You can't transfere movies with the USB cable.

Contact me if you have any more problems or questions.

Username: Mrturpin

OK

I have a 4 to 6 pin cable, the firewire in my PC, but my computer refuses to recognize my camera. Please help!

Username: Trroadster

Geez, this is insane.
What you need is a Mac. Comes ready to use out of the box. Plug it in, connect the keyboard and mouse, turn it on, run a fire wire cable from the camcorder to the built-in, operational (like, you don't need to add a board or drivers etc etc) firewire port, launch iMovie and capture. Then edit it, print it back to tape with your camcorder or export it to iDVD where you can author it to a DVD. Nothing extra to buy, configure, puzzle over .....

1. You need Windows XP with all the latest updates.
2. You need a 6 pin to 4 pin DV cable.
3. You need a firewire card.
Once you plug everything up, launch Windows Movie Maker (download from Microsoft if not installed). That should do it.

One important note. You can't transfere movies with the USB cable.

Username: Chandrasmalley

I have the JVC GR-D370u, and cannot get my computer to recognize the device. I am using the firewire cable. I talked with JVC Support Tech. and they said it doesn't require a driver that Windows Movie Maker would recognize it. Well, it doesn't. I have talked with Dell Support and that was wasted time. I had to tell them the difference between using the USB and firewire port! If anyone knows the solution, I could really use some help!!!

Username: Aeclar

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9 software with my JVC GR-D370U and have had no problems uploading and editing captured video. The software is very user friendly. Pretty much click and drag. Pinnacle's newest version Studio 11 retails for about $50 and can be found on the Pinnacle website. I haven't used Studio 11, but if its anything like 9, it might be worth the investment.

Username: Phillip_jay_fry

Oregon U.S.

i use a USB drive with my JVC GR-D370U since my laptop has no firewire capability, and though sometimes i lose a few frames off of the transfer, it works fine and is detected with absolutely no problem. i needed to buy a 40$ USB>MiniDV adapter in order to do it though.unless you have an S-Video/firewire card or anything else that u know will work.

Username: Phillip_jay_fry

Oregon U.S.

when i say that i connected it with a USB cord, I do not mean the one that came with the camera, AS that is only used if you get a digital memory card for ur camera. I connect the 3 pronged cord(RED/WHITE/YELLOW) to the back of the camera (BELOW the battery) and then the audio/video (red/white/yello) prongs to the adapter. The adapter attaches 1 part to a USB drive, and another part to the microphone input socket. It also has an S-video input for use instead of the audio/video cords. the quality of the imported video seems fine so far, but i've only used the adapter 2 or 3 times so far and it had 1 error. (the recording halted on the computer and the image stood still) but other than that np =).

Username: Jodie

Ok I have this camera and I want to connect it to my computer to transfer my video's but when it comes to the firewire thing I am so lost. Where do I get one and how do I know what one to get? Workman mentioned (red/white/yellow) prongs to the adapter. I have the (red/white/yellow) prongs but that is about it.

Please help

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14093
What model camera is it?

Username: Jodie

It is the JVC GR-D370U mini dv it didn't come with a USB either

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14097
That model camera did not come with a USB output, however, it comes with something better...a DV Output. You are going to need a firewire cable connection from the camcorder to the PC. Of course, you need a firewire input on your PC. Then you will need a decent video editing program like ULEAD or Pinnacle.

Do a search on "DV output to firewire" and you will get plenty of hits.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 276
img

Username: Bordoni

First, you need a Firewire connection (also called IEEE 1394). Most of PC computers don't have it, including mine. I bought a cheap Firewire card and installed it into an empty PCI slot, costed about $15.
After plugging it into my computer, it appeared on Device Manager of Windows XP. No need to install any drivers.
The card package contained a short cable (so short I had to leave the camera besides the PC case) and a CD with Ulead software. If you don't want to install the software, you can use WIndows Movie Maker or any other video editing software.
Be sure you TURN ON the camera in the PLAY MODE, otherwise the computer won't recognize it. After that, use the CAPTURE option in the software and the computer makes the rest, controlling the device.
And the camera does have an USB connection, it even comes with an USB cable. But this is to download the still pictures you can shoot using an SD memory card. But the pictures have so bad quality it doesn't worth losing your time on it..

Username: Bransonbob

I have an older laptop with USB but no firewire. So I plug the pin into the back of the camera of the cord that has the red, white and yellow VCR type of connectors on the other end. The red, white, and yellow connectores on the camera cord are male, and connect to the red, white and yellow female connectors on the VC-211A item (a USB 2820 device - search for a VC-211A to buy one) that I bought that has the USB connector on the other end of it. The movie is thus sent from the JVC GR-D370U thru the VC-211A to the Windows Movie Maker program, the Ulead Video Studio or to any number of other programs that can capture video off of a movie camera. This method pulls the movie into the editor in frames that you then make the movie out of. --- A better method for simply recording the movie from your camera to the hard drive as you play it, not messing around with making frames, is to use the ADS DVDXpressDX2 made by ADS Technologies. Again, you plug the red, white and yellow male connectors into the back of the DVDXpressDX2 and the USB connector from there in to the computer. CapWhiz recording software comew with this, and you can simply start and stop recording with a mouse click. It is the best method. You can then later import the movie into your movie editing software. Another advantage of the DVDXpressDX2 is that you can record from your old VCR instead of from the movie camera if maybe you have old home movies to digitize from off of old VCR tapes. Or if you want to preserve an old VCR movie that can't be obtained in a newer format.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 439
Using a Firewire card is best unless you have one of the newer camcorders which only have USB2

Using Firewire means that you are transferring the file directly from the camcorder to the PC's hard drive with minimal loss of video information.

There are firewire cards for laptops that have either an ExpressCard slot or a PCMCIA slot. These are fairly inexpensive especially when purchased new on eBay.

LMAO at you stubborn PC freaks. In the 2 months you have been chattering about this i have captured, edited, printed to video and authored to DVD over 40 hours of video.

Get a mac!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Maybe someone computer illiterate needs it. Someone with $$$ but no brains.

I don't need a Mac. I do just fine with my WIndows XP PCs. Thank you very much.

uh huh, thats me, the illiterate. just billing $350K per year on my toy mac. Oh yeah, and I spend $0.00 on IT help. I don't have to use my brain power figuring simple things like capturing video. No, I apply my brain to making $$$$

BTW, the person who asked the ?? in the first place appears to be somewhat PC illiterate wouldn't you say. Two months later they still don't know what they are doing even with all the "help" from you PC freaks. Mine was the only appropriate suggestion for the questioner.

One other question? why are you still on XP? Is it because all subsequent Window OS are a piece of crap??

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
I apply my brain to making $ too, but I don't need a Mac to do it.

As for XP, I see no reason to spend $ on every new fangle gadget.

Post Number: 4
Yeah sure. Nothing like using a 9 year old OS. LOL.

Look Dude, I own and operate a pro video company. We don't mess around with windows as it is too unreliable. As to cost of mac vs PC, Old argument no longer valid. By the time you outfit a PC to match a standard mac $ favor the mac. Add viri, crash, crash crash, expensive software and nothing that compares with Final Cut Studio available for the PC then add in that I can run Windows 7 on my macs should I so choose, and Macs win hands down. For the home hobbyist who wants to build his own sure, you can build a cheap PC. But when it comes to working hard fast and all day in a professional video environment without problems, nothing beats a Mac!

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
As I said, if it works. It works.
I don't care if it is 9 years old or 100 years old.

You're the one with the hangup ups.
Bragging about how much you earn. Blah blah blah.

If you've forgotten, this message board is for regular folks.

Post Number: 5
Yes I'm a Pro video guy. Not bragging, just pointing out that people like me and I would suggest the original questioner can avoid a lot of grief by using the right tool for the job. Regular folks who could benefit from a home computer that comes out of the box as a media center with coordinated software to manage photos, music, video editing, dvd authoring, website authoring, audio recording studio, is equipped with a CD/ dual layer DVD writer, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card with 256 Mb on board ram, 21.5 inch 1920 X 1080 resolution monitor, 3.06 Ghz intel i3 processor 4Gb RAM, 500Gb hard drive, wireless keyboard, "Magic Mouse", plus an intuitive operating system that microsoft still hasn't been able to copy... But if you insist, can run Windows either by itself or at the same time as Mac OS-X (switching back and forth at will) and all for a miserly $1200.00.
Try to find a DELL that comes close (including software, and don't forget to subscribe to an anti virus ap)

So stay with XP if that's where you are comfortable. Just be aware that the rest of the world has moved on to the 21st century.
Best
Thom

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
$1200 is "miserly"????
In which reality????

I get by perfectly fine with my 5 year old Dell PC running XP for my video needs. I paid $300. It works fine. Again, if you don't know how do something, by all means pay the "miserly" $1200.
I don't need to flaunt as you obviously love to do.

People like you do a disservice to others. Just throw money at it. Hey, look at my cool system. Nah nah nah. And look, I paid $1200 for it. And you guys are too "stupid" not get it. $1200.

That's fine, if you have $1200 in spare change. Most people don't, and that is the reality these days.

Your posts reeks of elitism and superiority.

Post Number: 6
Cool system? flaunt? a disservice? it's just an iMac and it works out of the box! You don't have to be a hobbyist and build a custom box. It just works. A computer for the common man (or woman/teen/kid)
Superiority? Elitism? sheesh! Superior I get. The imac is. There's nothing elite about a home computer.
$300.oo? BS
plus monitor, plus software, plus graphics card, plus firewire card, plus cd/dvd writer and free viri etc etc
I offered a solution that works out of the box. No add ons, no additional software or pci cards or memory required.
Hey if you're happy...

now , why don't you go go and solve the original posters problem?
Naw, you seem to enjoy pissing more than video... bye

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
The original poster's post is from 2006. He's long gone by now, but that didn't deter you from posting LMAO at you stubborn PC freaks; it's all there in your first post.

I guess you thought we were too stupid not to realize that you got your jollies from Laughing Your A** Off at others having problems.

I know what an iMac is. It still costs $1200.

Username: Salang333

Öйú

There is a guide about how to edit jvc vido for mac,may be helpful
first of all import jvc video to mac.and then,
1,Add video files into Wondershare Video Converter for Mac.
2,Select the optimized output format.
3,Edit video before conversion.
4,conversion.
I have a jvc-sx40,now i can see my family video on my iPod. i use this tool on mac http://www.applemacvideo.com/camera/convert-camcorder-jvc-cam-videos-mac.html

Personally, after reading the Many Assinine Comments (MAC) posted by Thom Roadster, I wouldn't ever go to him for any computer business services. His head is way too big to deal with. Someone needs to poke his noggin with a pin to let all that hot air out. Can you imagine living next door to such a big headed, chest thumping fella? What a drag that would be! - Macs are now starting to use the same chips that other Windows based machines are using, so Macs will not retain the supposed invulnerability to virus attacks that has been flaunted in the past. Macs are on their way "down," and not "up." His bragging will fade off to a whisper as a little more time goes by. And he who gets the last laugh, laughs best.

Post Number: 7
Bob
You are too cute for words... and unfortunately uninformed as well. The "chip" has nothing to do with a computers vulnerability to a virus or worm. The Chip or processor simply "processes" the data fed to it by the operating system (as in Windows or Unix or Mac OS) and the software that is exposed to the internet (Outlook, Explorer etc) is the "line of defense" that is full of holes on the windows platform. Windows has been and remains the target of choice for virus writers and propagators because of its many vulnerabilities.

That aside, the original question was about capturing and editing video from a consumer camcorder. My original comment stands. the iMac was designed and built as a Media Hub. It comes with an integrated software package to record and/or capture, edit, and distribute video, (iMovie), audio (garage band), still images (iPhoto) and create DVDs (iDVD).

Yes you can buy a base PC clone for less than an iMac but then you have to buy and install and trouble shoot the software and hope they will work together.

The iMac is meant for amateurs, is easy to use and comes complete with an integrated software suite out of the box.

Me Bragging? I come at this question with 30 plus years experience as a video professional and college instructor. My ego is not on the line. My advice was and is in the most simple terms, "get the right tool for the job".

Post Number: 4
Hey, Prof, I remember taking Anthropology in COLLEGE about 30 years ago. We learned all about Australopithecus, Java Man, and blah, blah, blah. Everyone, let me repeat, EVERYONE of which has been proven to be a fraud. Being a Prof is a strike against you, bud! No wonder you have a big head - you have tenure!

The bottom line is that few people care about your ranting about an iMac because most people don't have an iMac. And when you come off sounding like you have, well, what do you expect out of all us little uninformed peón's out here: that we might really care about all that ranting?

Several solution's to the original problem have already been posted before you came along.

I recently bought a refurbished XP machine for $50, and added memory and additional hard drives and such accessories as I had out of another old machine or laying around, and saved about $1,150 that you didn't. And I can do whatever I want to my video, produce original music, write books about know-it-all professor's and computer video geeks, or whatever else I want to do, just as well on my machine as you can on yours.

But you have all the answers, so you're pretty fun to keep stirred up. "The iMac is meant for amateurs..." Mmmmm. So, you have an iMac, eh? And what's that about a "media hub?" I believe some Microsoft systems qualify as "media hubs" too.

If your iMac hasn't crashed on you yet, be patient. It eventually will. All computer's eventually do. It won't care that your a Prof or have 30 years video experience.

But I could be wrong. Right?
http://virus-com.com/viruscom/viruscom_99252.html
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Macintosh-OS-1063/imac-upgrade-crash.htm
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/363255-virus-ti-intel-imac-chaos. html

But just to make you feel better:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47741.html

Just so you know, "the right tool for the job" is the users choice. What works for one person may not work for another person. It's a matter of choice. And choice is often dictated by pocketbook for most of us, even if it isn't for you. Everyone has been respectful of everyone else's suggstions... until you started throwing your weight around in a pompous manner.

Post Number: 8
Ohhh bob, you slayed the evil dragon with imac.exe!!! You are so smart!!! you sure do know it all what with college ...Oops, sorry. That should be COLLEGE...

Since you have elevated me to the rank of professor let me grade your recent submission.

Citation #1: 0%
Just so you know imac.exe, like all .exe files is a windows executable. in other words a "program" and to be specific a windows virus.

To quote from the link you posted.
"File type:imac.exe is Windows exe file., Detected Virus files Beheavor as following:
Run process and Occupy the Virtual Memory space
interception the keyboard behavior
POP-up window with AD
using FTP connections Communicates with other computers
Get the email address or personal information
Get the email address or personal information
This Process can sends MIME Email
Violates Windows Physical Memory Protection Read other programs application data
The file process creates other processes in you desktop
Can using IRC protocol communicate with other computers, IM chat rooms and other services."

Citation #2: 0%
The second link is a plea for help from a guy who played around with the hardware replacing the CPU, the memory chips etc. Basicaly, he did not know what he was doing and messed his machine. Not an APPLE fault. More a tinkerers dilemma.

Citation #3: 0%
The "virus" in your third link is a synth, you know, a keyboard. As in musical instrument. You can read about it here:
http://www.access-music.de/page/render/lang/en/p/1/do/The_Virus_TI___Totally_Int egrated_Synthesizers.html

Your 4th link goes all the way back to 2006. Your point?
Sorry, 0 out of 4 = Failed miserably.

Thanks for the entertainment er... rant You really should have kept your old identity. : >

Post Number: 5
It really doesn't matter to me if an iMac can or can not be infected with a virus. But I did read a while back that the macs are starting to use a chip, or processor or something, that they never formerly used, that will start making them vulnerable to virus problems that they formerly did not have. But it doesn't personally matter to me because I won't spend $1100+ for an iMac when I can get a perfectly fine machine for much, much less. That's America for you, we can each still make our own choices on most things.

Since this thread is so far off topic now, maybe I should introduce you to my know-it-all cousin... oh... no, I can't do that. You two might come to blows. Besides, I already told him to go buzz off. He was wasting my time, like you are.

It is a foregone conclusion that a discussion with a cult member will always be a one sided, losing conversation. And I'm sure you have heard the phrase "Cult of Mac." So... Have a great day Thom Roadster. Continuing this conversation seems rather pointless to me. You may now proceed to have the last word if you want to. See ya!

Username: Pantherophisg

Wow Tom. For years I have tried to convince people that Macs were a more reasonable way to go than PC, though I have been using a PC since I can remember. You have single-handedly made me not only re-think this, but to start telling people that I was a moron because only self-centered, arrogant, egotistical retards purchase Mac products. I'm going to go save my dad from making the biggest mistake of his life now. Thank you.

Also, on a side note: Just came here to find out if I needed to d/l any drivers before I started using my camera, so don't try to talk about how stupid this PC user is for not knowing what to do with a used piece of tech and no instruction manual.}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us