JVC GZ-MG 555U Hard Disk Camcorder won't transfer video to computer

Username: Janinarose

Post Number: 1
Not very computer savy but have truly been trying for hours.

The JVC GZ-MG 555U hard disk camcorder is connected to the port in my Lenovo 64 bit computer with Windows Vista.

I keep getting the message that the camera is not being detected. Why would this be?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 265
How are you connecting?

Does JVC say that the camcorder is compatible with 64-bit Vista?

Post Number: 2
Sorry I've been away from the board. I was dealing with Lenovo help technicians.

I learned that my new Lenovo 64 bit does not have a port for the fire wire that goes with the JVC camcorder. And, the substitute cord I have which fits the camera on one end and the USB port on the other end isn't recognized by the computer.

The Lenovo technician told me I had buy a USB to Fire Wire Adaptor.

So . . . I'm going to the store tomorrow.

T

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
I don't know of any Firewire to USB converter that actually works.

My suggestion to you is to put your money to better use and

1.) buy a standalone DVD recorder made by Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, etc. that has Firewire input
or
2.) buy a Firewire Expresscard has a ExpressCard slot that has drivers for 64-bit Vista if your Lenovo is laptop
or
3.) buy a Firewire PCI card that has drivers for 64-bit Vista if your Lenovo is a desktop computer

If you do anything else, you will end up with a lot of headaches.
But it is up to you.

Post Number: 3
Thank you very much for this advice.

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre K230 desktop computer.

The Lenovo technicians have been mostly unhelpful with every problem I've had with the computer. One of them today didn't know what a fire wire is.

I'll have to find out if my computer is set up for a Firewire PCI card that has drivers for 64 bit Vista.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
I have some further possibly bad news for you.

If you Google, Firewire 64-bit Vista you'll see that a lot of people have problems with Vista and Firewire whereas with XP they didn't have that problem.

So, even after you buy the Firewire card for your Lenovo's PCI slot, you *still* might have problems. Keep that in mind.

Post Number: 4
Oh, boy! I've had nothing but headaches with Vista. Now, here is one more thing.

I've been told I can't really find licensed xp software anymore. Is that true?

What to Vista plagued people usually do?

Sorry for my ignorance. I was happy with xp before my old computer finally crashed. This new one came with Vista and Lenovo technical support that leaves a whole lot to be desired!

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
You have a couple of choices:

1.) Buy JVC's CU-VD10 or CU-VD20 which are JVC's special DVD burner for the Everio that lets you burn the video files directly to DVD discs without need of a PC. The directions on how to do this is on page 40 of the GZ-MG555U Instructions Manual.

2.) Buy a standalone DVD recorder such as the JVC DR-MV80B or DR-MV150B or any Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, etc. DVD recorder that has Firewire / DV input. This is described on page 44 of the Instructions Manual.

3.) Buy a used PC running Windows XP and buy a Firewire card for it.

By the way, IBM does not have XP drivers for your PC, so even if you were to find a legit copy of XP to buy, you can use it.

Post Number: 5
Thank you again for posting. I was just considering upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 but don't know whether that would affect my Vista files. I'm so frustrated right now - can't really get anything done!

Your third choice made me burst out laughing. Okay, so the JVC's CU-VD10 or CU-VD20 would accept the video, burn to DVD. Then, I insert the DVD and upload it to my computer?

Do you possibly know of a video software that is easy for beginners? I want to ultimately upload travel video to a blog I'm starting and YouTube.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
If it was me, and the ultimate goal is to create YouTube videos, I would not bother with your camcorder and instead buy a Flip or a Kodak zi8 or something like that.

IBM does have Windows 7 drivers for your PC.

Post Number: 6
The problem is that we just returned from a trip and I took video footage for the travel blog (still not up and running).

Just began to research the JVC's CU-VD10 and CU-VD20. Am I right that the fire wire that came with the JVC MZ MG 555U will attach to the camera and then to the DVD Burner. The DVD Burner uses a USB wire to connect to my Lenovo 64 bit Vista. Right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
You should go to the JVC website and see what the CU units are. They do not need to connected to the PC but can be.

The JVC does not have Firewire port. It's docking station does.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us