Need help now

Username: Lmeskill

Post Number: 1
I have attached a new lens to my Nikon N65. It is a 70-300 Nikkor zoom. I can not get the camera to work. Could I have some wrong settings? This is a new camera and a new lens. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3289
Set the lens to the smallest aperture setting...I believe it is f/22. Do this manual by turning the aperture ring on the lens.
Right now you are getting an (fEE) error on your lcd panel, right? This means your aperture is not set properly on the lens for the camera to take over when you need to set the aperture by using the command dials.

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
I have a D70 and want a lens to shoot butterflies, flowers and also portraits. I'm looking @ the 60mm & 105mm Nikon macro. I'm a complete novice and have tried to research to no avail because of my lack of understanding. What do you suggest and why? I also have a 70 - 300 zoom along w/ the Nikon lens that came w/ the D70. Thanks for any input. Rebates on both expire tommorrow!

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
P.S. Also need to shoot daughters wedding what do you suggest for that? Thanks!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3682
I would advise against using the 70-300 lens for the wedding specially if it is an inside event. Great for sunny outdoor shots but not for inddor low light shooting.

For a wedding I would suggest that you look at this
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2147
great lens for weddings and will be able to handle the low light situation that is most prevalent during weddings. It will use most of the available light without the intrusion of a flash. You will also need the wider angle that it provides for those big family pictures. Its fast and focuses quickly and silently and will give you tack sharp images.

and this

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2139. Again same as above but with an extra reach just in case you cannot get up close, plus it is non-obtrusive when the ceremony is being done.

You can use both lenses for close up photography.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3703
When is the wedding?
And how much are you willing to spend on the lenses?

Those lenses I recommended are more expensive than the camera body you are currently using.

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
Hi Berny, Thanks for your help. The wedding is in October. I'm also going to Hawaii this fall and would like a lens that I can use for both the wedding and the trip. Again, I already have the 70 - 300 zoom and the lens that came w/ the kit. I can probably spend the money for the ones you recommended but is it overkill for my body? I'm willing to spend that amount if I can get what I want and need. Any other suggestions? You,re right... I think I paid 1,100. for the kit. I also have the SB800. Would like my lenses to be compatible w/my N65 as well. Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3794
Deirdre,
My recommednation stands, then:-) And no it is not overkill for your body specially the 70-200 f2/8 AF-S VR. After using this lens and mastering its versatility you probably won't be using your 70-300mm zoom except for that extra long reach.

Those recommended lenses will also work with your n65. The only lens that you will not be able to use with the N65 are those that are designated as "DX". The 18-70 kit lens that came with your D70 is designated as "DX", so no go on the N65. All nikon lenses will work with the D70 with older lenses having limited capability but still useable and of course those lenses that were designated IX(remember the Advance photo system?).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3811
Oh and let me know what lens you end up getting. And have fun in Hawaii:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3812
Also with the SB-800, try practicing your shots using bounce flash instead of direct flash. Experiment with 60 and 45 degree angles and pay attention to the lighting results on your subject. Make sure that you also flip up the white reflector on the sb-800.

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
Berny,
Thanks for all your advice. I got a 60mm macro yesterday but think I made a mistake. I'm considering returning it and going ahead and putting that money toward the 70 - 200 f2/8 AF-S VR that you recommended. The wedding is in two weeks and my trip after that. I noticed that you had mentioned to someone else that the 70-200 was not a good choice for travel because of the weight. I'm confused as to where to put my money! I want to take close ups, a good portrait lens, I have shakey hands etc. I'd also like to be able to eventually recoup some of my expensive hobby doing portraits and weddings. I've tried to do research but get even more confused. Maybe because I'm such a novice!

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
Berny,
Question: Does an ongoing rebate usually indicate a replacement is on the horizon???
Thanks for your input.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 213
The two lenses you mention are for different purposes. The macro you now have is meant for closeups, so would be the right lens for that application. For weddings the 70-200 is an excellent choice. IMHO if you don't mind the weight it would be a good lens for travel & portraits. A shorter zoom would be a better choice for a general walk around lens due to size, weight, and your subject will likely be too close for the longer range.

I know the Canon line better than the Nikkor now, so using their lenses as examples, the wedding shooters tend to like the 24-70/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8. The 70-200 you mention looks to be a direct equivalent to the Canon; the shorter lens looks like Nikkor has several potential equivalents, I'll let Berny make a recommendation there. ;)

I'm not sure how Nikon does it, but Canon does rebates on such a regular schedule that a lot of Canon shooters wait for the next round before buying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4066
Deirdre,
Indeed, the 70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR is heavy but not considerably so. If you have shaky hands, I will not hesitate to recommend the lens. Chris is right on about the 60mm lens, it is a great portrait lens but, I prefer the 50mm f/1.8 lens for portraits. It is a lot less expensive, you can get it for less than $100.

Rebates do not mean a replacement, it is just a way for Nikon to compete in the market. The older 80-200f/2.8 lens has been around for quite sometime and has only been recently eclipsed by the 70-200 vr. They are both sharp and fast but the 80-200 f2.8 is a lot heavier than the 70-200 f2.8vr.

I will put my money on the 70-200 and a 50mm lens.

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
Berny and Chris,
Thank you for your advice! I went ahead and returned the 60mm and I bit the bullet for the 70-200!!! I'll get the 50mm later. I'm excited! Thanks again for everything! Your help has been invaluable! Deirdre

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 215
Don't forget to watch the used equipment on B&H, Adorama & KEH. Many good used lenses are available & work just fine (my 50/1.8 is a minimum of 15 yrs old & works great on the 20D). It can save you a bit of money.

Good luck with the lens, I expect you will like it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4103
Deirdre,
It is October, are you getting any pre-wedding photography jitters? :-)
Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Deirdre
Unregistered guest
I DO have jitters! The big event is this weekend! I'll let you know how the photos turn out! Thanks again for all of your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4117
Well Deirde, the wedding has come and gone. I hope that you had a great time and came out with a wonderful photographic experience.:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jackkessler

Post Number: 12
Are Nikon AIS manual focus lenses superior in some way to Nikon autofocus D and G lenses? For instance the 35mm/f2 AIS manual focus lens costs a third more than the 35mm/f2 D autofocus lens. Why? Are there tests showing the AIS lenses are sharper or contrastier or better in some other way?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4238
I haven't seen any tests verifying that AI-S lenses are sharper. It usually depends on how the lenses are made, much like the way the AF-S lenses are. The AI-S has 8 elements in 6 groups, the newer AF has 6 elements in 5 groups. Are you sure that the AI-S is more expensive?

As for comparing the 2, I preferred the 35mm AF. I think it is very sharp, and perhaps a tad sharper than my older AI-S.

Bronze Member
Username: Jackkessler

Post Number: 13
B&H Photovideo has the Nikon 35mm f/2 D autofocus lens for US $260, the Nikon 35mm f/2 AIS manual focus lens for US $360. AIS lenses seem to consistently be more expensive though requiring manual focus. I assume that is in part because they are often faster lenses. I thought it interesting that the just-released Nikon D-200 camera will meter with AIS lenses which my D-70 will not. NikonUSA.com has a separate section on their lenses page for AIS lenses so Nikon does not think they are obsolete models. Nobody ever says what the advantage is, but they are always out there being fast, expensive, and heavy. If they are noticeably better lenses than the D and G autofocus lenses then that is certainly something to consider about the D-200. If not, there is no real reason not to keep using my D-70 until I or it dies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4241
I certainly don't believe that the AI-S models are obsolete. I just don't see the reason why I should not use auto focus lenses specially with my eyes going bad:-) You already stated, they are fast and heavy, not something I would want to lug around, indeed they fill a special niche in the market. I have plenty of fast AI-S lenses that I use for my F3 cameras and I have not seen any stark difference in sharpness. I for one, will probably not use manual focus lenses anymore.

I have placed an order for the d-200, but I certainly will not use my manual lenses for it, regardless of metering capabilities. My D70 will be relegated to back up.

Bronze Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 90
Agreed.

Username: Tinanicole

Post Number: 1
I also have a 70 - 300 zoom along w/ the Nikon lens that came w/ the D70. Thanks for any input. Rebates on both expire tommorrow!

http://www.squidoo.com/massagemania

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1192
For Weddings I ALWAYS bring my 50mm 1.8 Canon. It allows quite a bit easier hand holding and you can skip the flash. Great during the ceremony to minimize disturbance.
The Nikon 17->55 looks terrific.
Is the CF on Nikon 1.5? That'd make it about 26mm in '35mm' speak.
I use a Canon 20->35 on my 1.3 CF EOS 1D/II and MOSTLY the 24->105 f4. This is a great all-arounder.
For Macro? And Serious Macro at that, you can't beat the 90mm Tamron. Focus to 1:1 and is also a terrific, quick portrait lens.

Username: Jim1987

Post Number: 6
I think you should check your lens setting.Always set it at lower f stop no.Check your manual.Some times all cameras do not support with all lenses.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us