Record old 8mm/hi8 tapes onto a minidv camcorder

Anonymous

i have alot of old 8mm/hi8 tapes and i want to put them on my pc but i really want to buy a mindv camcorder instead of a digital8 is there any way to connect a 8mm camcorder to a minidv camcorder and record the movies from the 8mm to the minidv?

Scott G
Unregistered guest
from an article by James Woodger:
"Most (but not all) modern digital camcorders provide an analog-to-digital "PASSTHROUGH" capability. This feature lets you feed an analog input signal (usually via S-Video, sometimes RCA) into your digital camcorder and output a standard DV AVI signal. The digital camcorder converts the analog signal on-the-fly using a hardware encoder. Your input device could be your old analog camcorder (playing 8mm or Hi8 tapes), a VHS video player, etc.

The DV AVI output signal is the same encoding as standard digital camcorder output so you can attach a firewire connection (also called iLink) between your digital camcorder and your computer and use standard video capture software to capture the output.

Some digital camcorders do not support simple "passthrough" but they will capture an analog signal and convert it as you record to the digital tape. The digital tape can then be rewound and played over the firewire connection to computer. Clearly, the passthrough capability saves time and effort but if you already have a digital camcorder (without passthrough), then you still might use the analog signal-to-tape capture capability.

Not all new digital camcorders necessary accept analog input (watch the lower-end models). If you have old analog material, then think about adding "analog-to-digital passthrough" to your list of requirements when choosing a digital camcorder."

hope this helps - it sure helped me because everything I had read had me believing that I HAD TO buy a Sony digital8. Now I know that that's only if I want the digital camcorder to PLAY those old tapes itself.

Anonymous

thx alot that really helped

jiji
Unregistered guest
i have a minidv camcorder and a computer with a fireware capability. can i record my movies in computer to that minidv tape trough this fireware or any other choices?

Jzez
Unregistered guest
i have a D8 sony cam, and its connected via USB to my pc, how could i put an older HI8 tape onto my pc - do you need to use S-Video plz help

Username: Justin87

Post Number: 6
yes you can

Unregistered guest
Can I buy a camcorder that will record
( sync to ) 8mm projection of my old movies?

Anonymous

Is there a device to play hi8 tapes on? If so who makes/sells them? Thank you!

Unregistered guest
i have a sony hi8 camcorder and windvd cretor and a msi peice of hardware to connect it to my pc via yellow and black leads. im having problems with a slow down when i hit record is there anything i could change in the settings to sort tihs or is my cam too slow because its a hi8???

Username: Adagosto

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Hi8 video camera and I would like to copy the video to the computer. My PC has both S video and RCA connection and so does the camera. What do I need and how do you do it? Any help would be great!

Anonymous

Hi,
I have a Canon UC-X45HI8 camcorder and want to transfer all my hi8 tapes onto my PC so i can then burn them to DVD.
Can anyone help me with the types of cables and software i need to do this.
thanks,

chachachachia163
Unregistered guest
I just made a movie using a Hi8 tape but i need to know how to get it onto the computer, how?

Unregistered guest
I have several 8mm tapes from a Sony analog camera about 9 years old. I want to convert to digital and edit in my computer. I have a Toshiba Satellite 2400,pentium 4. I am not computer savvy. Can someone explain me in simple words what to do and how much will I have to invest please?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 540
Juan,

As your camera only has analogue outputs, you will need to buy a video capture card for your PC, such as those made by Leadtek (www.leadtek.com). These cards have inputs for audio (stereo) and video. Normally, they are supplied with capture software so you can connect to the PC, play back the material on the external source and capture it into an .avi file on your computer. The cards are quite easy to instal and operate. External boxes offering similar functionality and connection via USB are also available.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone... I have a bunch of Hi8 tapes recorded on my Sony Digital8 camcorder which is now broken and I'm also going to be getting a MiniDV camcorder soon... is there any kind of Hi8 tape playing device that I could use to transfer my old tapes to MiniDV tapes without having to get my broken D8 camcorder fixed??

Anonymous

I seem to have the same problem as Matt G. I purchased a MiniDV camcorder with the analog-to-digital capability so that I could transfer my 8mm tapes to Mini-DV (by the way, is this the best way to go?) but now my old analog camcorder won't play at all and I'm sure it would cost as much to fix it as replacing it so I would like to find out if there's any way to play those tapes through my VCR or something and still be able to put them on MiniDv?

Username: Patrick

Xxx, Xxx Xxx

1. How to convert movie from PC to miniDV tape 2. or to VHS tape in the VCR?

Unregistered guest
I have an old Hi8 sony camcorder but the Av cord is lost. Is there a device which can play Hi8 and send it via USB to the computer? If so, what is the name of the product?

Unregistered guest
Has anyone got an answer to the HI8 problem? I too have a broken sony Hi8 camcorder and no way of playing the tapes or transferring them to my computer and I am sure that there must be a growing number of us. Surely someone somewhere must have anticipated this problem?

Unregistered guest
Is there a divice to use mini digital tapes in my Sony Digital Hi8 Video camera. A friend wants me to make DVD's for them but they are all on Mini tapes??? Can this be done without me borrowing her camera.
Thanks,
Madelene

Unregistered guest
Hey, ya I also have a broken Sony Digital8 camcorder and about 100 Digital8 (Hi8) tapes that I would like access to.. I just got a new MiniDV camcorder, so I can't play the old tapes in it... but is there any other way to transfer Hi8 tapes to MiniDV or something else?! Does anyone know if they make Hi8 tape players.. I haven't found any..

So does anyone have a solution?!?!

Sammy-lee
Unregistered guest
hey, is there a connection wire which can enable me to connect my 8mm camcorder to my PC coz i really cant afford to buy a mini DV camera and i was wondering if there is another solution

buddyoneyeah
Unregistered guest
i have a handicam hi8 sony camcorder (analog) and i want to be able to eidt my movies on my pc but i don't know anything about converting to my pc. what kind of adapters or cords do i need ,(and go with), for my cam corder?

and what does ccd-trv138 ntsc mean?yenom_money@hotmail.com
email me please!!

Username: Chriskeir1888

GlasgowScotland

Hi,

I've just bought a Sharp Viewcam Z5h. Is it possible to record from the minidv tape straigt to my computer? I know i can do it from the SD Card but i'm having difficulty uploading from the tape via firewire or USB.

Cheers
Chris

Unregistered guest
read this

http://hometheater.about.com/od/camcorders/qt/8mmhi8quicktip.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us