Olympus C-720 ultra zoom camera

I recently purchased a Olympus C-720 ultra zoom camera. it has the 8x zoom lense and for zoom pictures, it does great! Outside that is. Inside I get simi blurred pictures or not crisp pictures. Outside, pictures are wonderful. I have tried several settings on this camera and can't seem to get a good clear picture inside. Does anyone else own one of these cameras and if so, how are the pictures you take? Also is there a camera out there in this price range(this one ran me $500) that has this kind of zoom on it without giving up the clarity and crispness of the 3 MP? thanks!

Derek
I am disapointed that you have problems with the C-720. I have a little 520 and am very satisfied. I know a lot of people with various Olympus zoom cameras and they seem to work pretty well indoors. You know it's hard to use full zoom indoors because it's hard to hold you hand steady? Do you get crappy pictures if you use a tripod?

See my post in;
Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > Cameras > Digital camera vs. Film cameras.

There are some good links there.

Hope this helps

Unregistered guest
I am also having the same problem with an Olympus C-720 digital camera. It takes wonderful pictures outdoor. Most all indoor pictures are a little out of focus/blurry. This includes mounting on a tripod with no zoom being used. The camera has been back to Olympus and they say it is operating normally. This is an outdoor camera period.

I also have an Olympus D-460 that takes good indoor and outdoor pictures.

I think the C-720 is just a poor/bad designed camera that Olympus should never have produced, since it has only ruined there reputation.

My next camera will not be an Olympus.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 938
what do you think your next camera would be??

Anonymous

I am also having the same problem with an Olympus C-720 digital camera. It takes wonderful pictures outdoor. Most all indoor pictures are a little out of focus/blurry. This includes mounting on a tripod with no zoom being used.

misterHT
Unregistered guest
That's a cheap, bottom of the line camera. WTF do you expect? You bought it without seeing samples of what it could produce?

Pick something from the Nikon Coolpix series, and next time post BEFORE you buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
The Olympus suffers from a very long shutter delay. Once you push the shutter release, it takes almost a second before it actually takes the picture. So, when you think you already have the shot, you move the camera, thus you get a blurred effect. when taking a picture, hold the camera steady for a good 2 seconds after hitting the shutter release and give it a chance to take in the setting and writing it on the memory. This is more evident on interior shots when the camera is using a slower shutter speed and less light, specially on moving subjects.

Anonymous

I have a c-720 and I am very familiar with it's capabilities. When taking shots indoors, make sure to change the ISO to a faster speed depending on the lighting. I have been able to shoot really nice shots with just the light from a lamp by adjusting the P/A/S/M. I use the M setting. Then use the arrow keys on the back to adjust while looking through the view finder. You might also set it to the set the Exposure Compensation using the arrows on the back. You will have to make your own adjustments to get the right shot. Also, the WB setting will also need to be changed depending on the light. Once you get the shot you want, save it to MY SETTINGS. If you look at the little white book that came with the camera, it will explain all this in detail. Plus I always hold the botton down for an extra second after the shutter fires.

Anonymous

I concur with all the negative experiences expressed here re the C-720. I have seen many similar reviews at other sites. Go look for yourself. Olympus is in denial and in the meantime their reputation is going in the trash, where it belongs. Try calling them. We have $600.00 invested between their camera and accessories, two years ago. There is something wrong with a string of these cameras that neither Best Buy or Olympus will own up to. If these were cars or drugs the government would take them off the market. I was new to digital photography and believed both Best Buy and Olympus that the blurry out of focus pictures were my doing. Of course the Olympus warranty ran out and now they would like to charge almost what a new one now costs to repair it???!!! What a fraud! Unfortunately, I have awful pictures, over half, of one daughters wedding, two new grandsons and one vacation. Fortunately I do have the Best Buy four year warranty. However they won't do anything until they get four tries to fix this piece of ...t. It takes them over a month before their repair service lies to me that they have fixed it. When the camera returns from repair I simply take it out of the box, have the Best Buy guy stand there, take his picture or offer for him to take mine and then hand it right back to them. With this kind of cusotmer service both Best Buy and Olympus will never get any more of my business. When the fourth unrepaired return of my camera occurs my Best Buy no lemon warranty will kick in. After they honor the warranty (???? we'll see) we will never return to either.

Unregistered guest
My Olympus C-720 takes great pictures indoors if I use the Auto setting. The portrait setting delivers poor light photos. I do have the Adobe photo program where I can edit photos. I am very happy with it, altho now that I heard about the Olympus Stylus Verve may get one of those.

Unregistered guest
"We have owned both the C-700 and a student dropped it in a river ... We loved the C-700, so we bought a C-720 and we agree, the indoor pix are almost always blurry ... compared to the C-700. Olympus should recall the C-720. we may buy a used C-700 ... the C-700 was a great camera.

Bronze Member
Username: Freeringtones

Post Number: 42
Looking for a used or new Olympus C-720?

Why not try the Olympus C-770 CAMEDIA instead?

Anonymous

the lcd on my c-720 stopped working , just a white screen,the view finder still works, anyone have any idea? much appreciated

Unregistered guest
I have a Olympus C-700 and a Zio reader. After I take pictures, I remove the card and put it in the Zio reader. Open up the folder on the computer and sometimes I have NO pictures! Is the problem the the camera or is the reader erasing the pictures?? You can review the pics on the camera before you remove the card but then there are none there later. This is frustrating!! I did buy a new card but the problem remains.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3073
Check your operating manual. You are probably writing into the internal memory of the camera and not the memory card.

Here's how to check. Remove the meory card and then see if you can review the pictures. I don't see the reader erasing pictures unless it is seriously malfunctioning.

neal franklin
Unregistered guest
help please - I can set the time and date on my c-720 with no ploblem but I can not get it to appear on the pictures as I once had it set.

Lilacs
Unregistered guest
My camera has caused me nothing but trouble. I sent it in to have the "bad indoor picture" thing taken care of; I don't know what they did with it but now it works fine. However, now the problem is that I can't get my computer to recognize the camera so that I can get the pictures! It recognizes a USB mass storage device but not my removable disk e:. My daughter has the same camera and has never had any of these problems.

Anyone, got any ideas? Much appreciated!

Unregistered guest
Heard that there was a recall on the c-720, is there or not and if so what do i do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4218
If you heard there was a recall, verify it with Olympus. go to their website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us