Webcam problem.

Username: Oopsie

Post Number: 1
I have a finepix a330 digital camera.

I'm trying to use it as a webcam, but the manual says it only works as a webcam on windows XP and I have windows 2000.

Is there any way I could make my digital camera work as a webcam using windows 2000?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7292
If the manual says it only works as a webcam on "windows XP" why would you expect it to work with windows 2000?

NO...it will not work with 2000.

Username: Oopsie

Post Number: 2
"If the manual says it only works as a webcam on "windows XP" why would you expect it to work with windows 2000? "

At what point did I say I expected it to work with windows 2000?

None.

I asked "Is there any way I could make my digital camera work as a webcam using windows 2000"?

"NO...it will not work with 2000."

Correct, it will not work with 2000 as it normaly is.

But since windows 2000 and XP are very similar operating systems, I thought that there was a chance of some obscure piece of software out there somewhere, that would add the few features missing from 2000 and allow me to use my camera as a webcam.

Whatever operating system I am running, my PC is physicaly the same. The difference is only software. It isn't rediculous to think think that some software could be written to bridge the gap, especialy since Linux also isn't supported by my camera, yet I found someone who had made a special driver which allowed it to be used as a webcam.

So please in future, if you can't help, please keep your trap shut, rather than treating people like they're idiots.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7293
Sorry if I hurt your feelings or made you feel like an idiot, that was not my intent.

But, regardless of your hurt feelings, that camera is not backwards compatible with windows 2000 as a webcam. Trying to alter your operating system or finding a hack for it to work is just not worth the time and effort.

Windows 2000 and XP may seem alike on the surface but they are not very similar at all.

Yes there is software out there that would add the features missing from 2000. It is called Windows XP. Now, that may seem like a smart-@ss answer, but think about it. If you want your operating system to work with the latest new devices, you need to upgrade and that upgrade comes in the form of Windows XP. Microsoft is a money making giant, and they inted to make money by making sure you will need upgrades and patches, etc.

I agree, it is not ridiculous to think that some software could be written to bridge the gap. And if you already found someone that made a special driver for the camera to be used as a webcam maybe this person can make it work with 2000.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7326
I see no one else trying to help you. They could just be shutting their traps so that you don't feel like you are being treated like an idiot.

Any luck?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2822
Yeah, I'm sure it's possible, but there's no motivation. It's just an obscure $100 camera that's fairly outdated. Who would want to write the coding for something like that? And even if it has been done, there is no motivation to post it on the internet. It's just too esoteric.

Berny's right: get a new camera.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7344
Be careful, Jexx. This noobie does not like it when you respond without any help at all. He might tell you shut your trap:-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2824
In a way we're helping them understand that what he or she wants is practically unattainable. ;) They're wasting their time by checking back for answers or posting elsewhere in my opinion. A few ways to solve the problem would be an exhaustive Google search or learning how to modify the software themselves, unfortunately.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7345
it is just easier to upgrade the os. Tinkering with obsolescence is useless.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2835
Yeah, definitely, especially with upcoming Vista.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us