New here/Here's a pic of my HT setup

Username: Goretro77

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I'm new here. :-) I bought my first home 4 years ago and this is my first ever attempt at a Home Theater.
The room is not a dedicated HT room, it also serves as a family room so it had a variety of requirements it had to meet.
Here's some pics.
Here's how it looks powered down.
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03115.jpg[/IMG]

Further back look at it:
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03116.jpg[/IMG]

Show off time! :-)
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03120.jpg[/IMG]

Watch the movie time!!!
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03121.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a shot of my components and one of my speakers.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03117.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03118.jpg[/IMG]

The room has no backwall, it leads into a open dining roon and kitchen, so with no backwall and not being allowed by the wifey to put surrounds on the floor I used NHT6.3 in ceiling speakers.
They work really well. Here's how they look
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC03119.jpg[/IMG]

Here's my component lineup.
Denon 5803 AVR
Mirage OM-5 towers
OMC2 center channel
Subwoofer: Mirage BPSS-210
Surrounds: NHT 6.3 x4
TV: Mitsubishi 73" HDTV
Variety of progressive DVD players and yes - a VHS machine for the wifey.
Gaming: XBOX, PS1 and PS2 (hidden in the lower rack compartments, wireless controllers).
I am very happy with this system's performance.

Once my basement is furnished I plan to create a recreational room and HT room #2 will be setup.

Any comments please post 'em. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 35
Looks very nice indeed. Good choices and good job setting this monster up!

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 55
looks great --good for you --enjoy it

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 926
Very nice El , love the tv. Great equipment also.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the kind compliments everyone. :-) I am learning about this great hobby. My wife and I have always been into movies so when I had a chance to get into it I read a lot of reviews and went to many a store to look/listen and audition the equipment. We listen to as much music as watching movies and had a big room to fill, my wife also wanted speakers that allowed for off-axis listening positions.
The Mirage OM-5s were probably what I took the most time in, since there is just so much out there. We listened to countless speakers and there are tons of nice ones out there, the OM5s were the best fit for us in sound quality, size and price.

I have just started cruising this site and there's a lots of good info. Can anyone suggest a good whole house surge suppressor? I know levition makes one, I think the model # is 5112, are there suggestions/recommendations anyone can make? Thanks.

Post Number: 3
This past weekend I found myself adjusting the channel levels of my surrounds and found that that for both Dolby and Ultra Cinemax THX - the most enveloping effect came with Surround left, Surround Back Left, Surround Back right and Surround Right all set to +4db to match the front towers. I wound up watching Kung Fu Hustle and Star Wars - Return of the Jedi on these settings and love it. :-)

Username: Loki69

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 8
LOL Kung FU Hustle was awesome......
Did you notice the image quality? THis I would have to say is one of the best looking movies i have seen in a while.
I did notice something on the back i have not seen (or simply overlooked) on any other movie. It states it was recorded in High Def.
I know you still have to have an output sorce that can produse that signal (HDDVD) But i have to say it was a near perfect picture.

ALSO i love the theater setup the surround speakers are great.

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 15
Very nice. Love the dark entertainment center.

Post Number: 5
Lamar - Yes! I did notice that Kung Fu Hustle's dvd cover says it is filmed in High Definition, I assume at least 1080i. So far my dvd players can only send out progressive(480p) but I agree the picture quality was near perfect. Thanks! I do like the NHT 6.3s in the ceiling, they do well to make up for the lack of a back wall in the room.

Anil - thanks! We had to hunt around for the entertainment center and I was happy to find one that fit a 73" RPTV. My wife liked the curved glass on the tower sections. I added some blue accent lights.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1971
I like what you've done. It looks like a fun place to catch a movie:-)

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 851
El Manalo

Looks very nice, one thing that I noticed is the right front channel is, way too close to the side wall, if you slide everything over to the left including the huge set-up it will be spot on.

Also the centre channel is way too high up, as far as I can see, its not even angled downwards to the centre point the sweet spot so the HF sounds are going to be going over your heard?

The ceiling surrounds nice touch, though the bottom rule is that surround loudspeakers should be placed along the side walls, and back wall as well.

Don't take this wrong the ceiling surrounds is spot on, now if you have Dolby-EX and dts-ES and re-plugged the ceiling surrounds to take the information from the matrix surround part of the surround array configuration, then films like "We Where Soldiers" and a few more films as well, will benefit from this technique.

Other than that, it looks very nicely and thought out as well, the techniques for home cinema, well there's a lot to it, a lot.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 971
Let's see your setup Andy, mr. critical.

Silver Member

Post Number: 881
Upload

Well I'll have to ask a friend to pop on over with his digital camera, and then there's the uploading etc cutting & pasting etc, plus its not finished yet when I have built the THX baffle wall then you can se it..... \popjpeg

Silver Member

Post Number: 882
Upload

So he's still learning, I was not been mean or anything like that.

There is lot to home cinema than you would think, it not all easy peasy?

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 973
I bet his setup looks like the Majestic compared to your low country boil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 899
Upload

In time, like to see a man eat his own words?

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
Upload

Just popped back there to have another look at it, "Majestic" not even close to the "UCI Empire Leicester Square"
Upload

Nice try though, I'll be doing a light feature with mine, and it sure costly too, but still at a budget range with that in mind lets be nice.......
Upload

El,

Has a nice looking home cinema, and are set-ups all look different....
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Whatareyoudoing

Post Number: 44
Holy cow now that's' a home theatre that got colour!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Movie_collector

Folsom, California U.s

Post Number: 12
very nice

my setup
Pioneer Elite 50in Plasma
Pioneer Elite DVD Player
B&K Processor
B&K AMP 200x7
Panamax Power Station
Definitive 7001 Speakers (Front)
Definitive Reference Subwoofer
Definitive 3000 Center Speaker
Definitive BPVX/P Rear Speakers
Dish Network HD Box
AudioQuest CV4(DBS) Speaker Cables
AudioQuest Interconnects for AMP
Illuminaire Blue Back lighting
Harmony 880 Remote
300 DVD Collection

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 140
Nice speaker and setup but those Omnipolar speakes need a lot more room than you are giving them. Your speaker placement is also not centered on the wall, causing some time alignment issues, as well.

You seem to have the room to shift everything to the left for more room and better acoustics. Your large audio rack and tv stand has forced you to place the center channel way too high in relation to your left and right floor standers and is creating quit a sound barrier, as well.

You have some very nice speakers and it is only fair to give them what they need to sound their best here on ecoustics.

Bronze Member
Username: Movie_collector

, California U.s

Post Number: 20
I agree. The stand creates a problem. One advantage with this against the wall it is on, it's the wall to a closet and am working on placing the equipment in a in wall mounted type configuration. This would open alot of space. Not to many options but I totally agree.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us