JVC VX-N410B progressive scan dvd player
SpeakerCraft BassX-10 powered 10" subwoofer
Athena Technologies C.5 center channel speaker
Elan MM650C two-way in-ceiling front surround speakers
Elan MM650W two-way in-wall rear surround speakers
SpeakerCraft SmartPath IR System
Panamax PM8C-EX power surge protector
Monster and IXOS cables

I'd post pics, but I've already shrunk them down to 640 x 480 and I keep getting a message stating I have exceeded the maximum 600 x 600 size. Go figure. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and I'll post them.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2821
Open Microsoft Paint and then open your photo in Microsoft Paint. Go to "Image" and select Stretch/Skew. 25% & 25% to shrink the image usually fits forum requirements. Save it and then try loading it. Should work from there.

Bronze Member
Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 19
shawn my friend did you look at what you wrote there??

I already shrunk them down to 640 x 480
I have exceded the maximum of 600 x 600

Username: Shawn_murphy

Post Number: 10
Here are a few pics...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Username: Armstrongguy

Post Number: 5
Hi Shawn.
A very nice setup, and also, I love the African art. I buy and sell this kind of African crafts and art to raise money for our projects in Africa, mainly helping AIDS orphaned children in Uganda. Where did you purchase the elephanr and giraffe?

Username: Anakin

Post Number: 6
Shawn

Careful, this g-.ay is f,a,g, hay armbum stop being so g*ay ! What a bum bandit you are!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Darth - Who cares? Don't be trashing my post area with comments like that. We don't need that going on in here. Take it offline.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1651
Woo, looks like we have some heat here!

Shawn

Very neat and tidy looking, I like the in wall surrounds, flush and out of the way, by the way just how many sidewall and rear wall surrounds do you have in the room to really surround the room, up to a ¾ of the rooms length or less?

The in ceiling surrounds are they used for height surround effects, that is found on films like We Where Solders and Star Wars episode II Attack of the Clones, as well as working with a few other films that have good split-surround mixing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Andy - My system is 5.1. The front surrounds had to placed in the ceiling due to all the plumbing and running through the wall the tv is sitting on. So, I have the two in-ceiling for front surround, and the two in-wall for rear surround. The rears are about 2 feet above the listener. The room is 14 feet deep (viewing depth is about 9 feet) by 18 feet long. About 3/4 of the room length is occupied by the setup. The sound is very spatial, and the speakers do an excellent job of imaging. I own We Were Soldiers and it kicks. Another movie that really sounds great on my system is Pearl Harbor.

I think everyone that sees my system needs to remember it's not really a dedicated home theater room. We use it for a family room as more than we do for wathcing movies. But when the doors get shut and the lights dim, it's on!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1655
Shawn

So the front in-ceiling are used for front surrounds, yeah I can get the jest of that, but in all respect they should only cover from the back and go as far as 5 feet near to the front or less, is there any wider shots that you can upload here?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1656
Shawn

Hold on there mate, so you don't use any bookshelf type or tower loudspeaker models?

The fronts, in ceiling, there for the front left and right, no?

And the centre channel well that's used for the front centre, so what does the pink noise sound like when passing over the fronts left centre and right, is it equal with no sudden changes in timbre balance?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Andy,
I use no tower or bookshelf speakers. My fronts are in-ceiling, and the rears are in-wall. 90% or more audio comes from the center, so don't most people really rely on that speaker to produce most of the sound anyway? Not familiar with pink noise, so I can't answer that question. The Elan's produce tremendous sound for their size. I don't have any shots with me that show an overall layout of the room, but I can get some.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1658
Shawn

Wouldn't it surprise you that lots of low end and I mean lots can often be reproduced from the centre channel, by the way was this your choice your wife's or the home cinema installs recommendation?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Andy - Our media/family room is right off the main living room, and you walk past it when coming into the house and past the main living and kitchen, so we didn't want bulky speakers taking anything away from the decor of the room. Once we met with the home theater store, this type setup was recommended. The owner of the store worked for Elan for years, and his company specializes mainly in these type of installations. Heard but not seen kind of thing. I color coordinated the speaker covers/trim to match the walls myself. The center does produce some pretty decent low end, but I'm looking to upgrade to an Elan center model (not in-ceiling) so that the speakers with match up better. Send me that email address and I can shoot you the pics you wanted.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1659
Shawn

Well I have never heard these type of loudspeakers, but I have heard surrounds that are placed overhead, not that it works well with all types of film soundtracks, that is the imaging of the sound that comes of screen doesn't often match the surrounds, or the position as too where the off screen surround sound is travelling.

Placing the fronts in the ceiling doesn't make since, because they experienced ear will detect this, and hearing sounds that are normally appear behind the screen in the cinema, ever since 1927 Al Jolson, The Jazz Singer, this is where the screen loudspeakers belong and nowhere else. Sound engineers have tired moving the loudspeakers out from behind the screen in the past, but it just simply doesn't work at all.

Psychoacoustics, the way we perceive sound, now you can experiment with a few films, and have an elaborate sound design configuration, with an (upper centre channel) this is where you have to employ the use of a Dolby Pro-Logic decoder, plug it in-line with the left and right pre-outputs also fitting extra amplifies and equalizers to celibate the small differences in timbre balance.

Films like Apollo 13, work will with this type of effect, giving the home cinema a special edge over the rest. There are lots of other films that do will with this technique.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Andy - I bought what I liked after I was given options, and everything fits nicely and out of sight, and sounds completely excellent. I don't go into my movie room with calibration tools every time, and I'm not a critical listener listening for every flaw and perfect imaging. My family and I enjoy what we have and everyone that comes over feels as if it's like going to the theater.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Added to my home theater: Harmony 880 Remote
Review: Awesome

Added to my home theater: Upgraded Monster component video cables for all components, Acoustic Research F-pin coaxial cables for TWC cable.
Review: Crisper images and sound

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3840
Nice system Shawn. I keep hearing great things about that Harmony remote.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 339
Very nice.
How well has the Harmony integrated? Was it pretty easy to setup? I've looked into Pronto, actually bought one, and took it back, it didnt have half of my gear pre installed, and would have had to program more than half my gear one button at a time. So for now, I'm still using my 5 year old Mosaic which does a fine job, but has reached it's capacity and I'm looking for options.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us