Jexx's Install

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4482
Eh, I've been wanting to get this up, sun was out today and my Nikon was charged so here ya guys go:

200A/130A @idle Mitsubishi alt(the gold connector is my engine to chassis wire). Check out the over-running clutch on the pulley:
Upload

Battery positive terminal by Rockford Fosgate, the thing was $20! Expensive, but works great:
Upload

Negative battery terminal, Scosche from Walmart(scratched off the Scosche name haha), works better than the stock:
Upload

PPI PC2300 Limited Edition, I love this thing, the fans were taken off to take the pic, and the mess of wires is concealed under the floormat (the amp was pulled out to take this pic):
Upload

One of the Infinity tweeters, getting pretty dirty after two years I think? It's attached via velcro so I could angle it better, I didn't feel like making a custom enclosure or anything like that when it sounds just as good. Speakers hidden behind door panel, so this is all you'll see of my fronts:
Upload

Head unit, also getting a bit dusty after two years :-) :
Upload

I have my xm2go in the cup holder, didn't feel like mounting it-the velcro is too weak, and I didn't want holes in my dash:
Upload

My two PPI PC2350's and top half of sub box. The ground wire on the left amp is fairly short, so it's really obvious, when I get the time, I'm going to lengthen it so it will be less noticeable. Left my full-size spare next to it for easy access, gotta have a spare :-):
Upload

Sub box housing my 12" JL w7, all 1"MDF, THICK plexiglass window that doesn't have any noise issues. Sounds great. Box has velcro strips holding it down, though I think they're unnecessary:
Upload

Side pic of the car:
Upload

Any comments appreciated.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4483
Aaaand I killed the bragging area.

Awesome.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1206
nice setup. it will look even nicer when u get the wires cleaned up in the trunk.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4484
Yeah, hopefully! :-)

Forgot to say, the amp on the left is powering my two 8" midbass speakers in the car, I forgot to take a pic of them! haha

I know, the tire doesn't look so hot, but it has to stay, I prefer function over form when it comes to a choice between the two.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4485
Okay, I recentered the box anyway for all you aesthetic guys, haha:

DSCN2601.jpg

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4593
How it looks now:

Upload

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6445
looks nice man great choice of amps and sub:-)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8949
i like the stock sleeper look of ur car & install

get a grill over that sub man - cause u will cry like a lil girl if something happens 2 damage it

now git & post us some pix of those 2 8s midbass speakers ........Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5023
nice box and sub jexx. did you do the box yourself????

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 447
hows that w7 sound

and i wanna see some pics of the 8's

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4612
Yeah, I should get a grill for it, no doubt! I'll probably get one of the fine mesh grills so there's no chance of it getting scraped up.

The midbass are just two MTX 5000's in a sealed+carpeted enclosure, nothing incredibly special haha. I'll get a pic when there's some light out tomorrow.

I got the box custom-built from a guy on ebay :-) He did a much nicer job than I could ever do myself.

The w7 sounds great, a lot of people say they're too boomy, but JL actually recommends all EQ settings that would emphasize frequencies below 125Hz be turned off, and it actually has really good SQ. I was going to get a w6v2 at the time, but this w7 popped up on ebay for less used and I'm much happier I went with this :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 401
Looking good jexx those ppi ams are freaking sweet and that headunit is not bad either is that the touchscreen one?

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1271
nice sub jexx.. how do the tweeters sound up there? velcro sounds like a good idea for testing out a tweeter location but you should try and secure it in there nicely. have u ever bumped it off :p

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4618
Yep, it's the touchscreen unit. I looked at some really high end units like the Pioneer DEX-P9 coupled with the DEQ-P9, the Clarion DRZ9255, a great deal of Nakamichi and McIntosh units, but the DXZ945MP has mp3 playback and a plethora of extremely useful features, which the afforementioned lacked. The Alpine CDA-7990 was considered, but as mentioned, no mp3 playback and of course ridiculous price (diminishing returns, anyone?).

Yeah, the velcro might go pretty soon, honestly. I was looking into getting a set of JL's or CDT's for the front, and if I end up doing that, I'm going to get a more solid enclosure. The Infinity's have been up there for two years and still haven't fallen off haha.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4636
Here's a pic of the 8's. They sound great, especially with fast drum-beats. They're bandpass crossed over, 60Hz-80Hz.

They're mounted behind the driver's seat:
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3289
great job jexx

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 154
Nice Jexx!
only, get for your car this
Upload

and tint windows in black limo!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 156
BTW,I don't see a "CAP"

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4643
Haha, I've never been pulled over, cops still wave at me and people still put their seatbelts on when I drive by. I'm going to keep it how it is :-)

A cap as in capacitor? They're a waste of money...nothing but expensive eye candy.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 545
so they're mounted in the footwell behind the front seat? firing towards you? or up?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4649
Firing towards me. I've had bad experiences with facing subs up, mostly the suspension giving out on me and resulting in the speaker/sub bottoming out. If I had the skills, I would make fiberglass enclosures for the doors and mount them there, but they work about as well where they're located currently.

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
that really shouldnt be the reason for the suspension giving out and bottoming out...

i would love a set of 8's to fill in the midbass between my comps and sub, but i dont have anywhere to put them.

and have you tried low passing them any higher, like 100 or 150. 60-80 seems alittle narrow but maybe thats all you needed. i was just wandering if they bring your soundstage back too much if crossed over too high, and if thats why you limited them so much.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4658
I had an old MTX blue thunder and an older Cerwin Vega that were facing up and they both had the same problem-started to bottom out too quickly and sounded bad. Newer sub technology might have changed that, certainly.

And you basically read my mind. Once I went past 100Hz, they brought the soundstage back too much. To be honest, I've alternated between 60-80Hz and 75-90Hz. Both sounded great, and the 75-90 sounded much better with highly instrumental music. For all around sound, the 60-80Hz has sounded the best. I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste more than anything, though over 100Hz is probably too much for anyone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
once i start work again in a few weeks i may try out some 8"s, or maybe even 6.5"s in my rear deck, sealed, and probably run about the same range as you. im just lacking the "kick" in that region.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4661
It's definitely a great way to get some kick into your system, no doubt. Tell me how it goes if you decide to go that route!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4662
...and that wasn't supposed to rhyme, haha.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5059
hahahaha jexx. you are a poet and you didn't even know it.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3294
ur so rad chad :-)

and dont worry jexx, cause you'll be next

LOL

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4901
NICE SYSTEM MAN!!!!!!!!!

i love the look of oyur car....making people put their seat belts on. lololol

nice setup man...i bet it sounds awesome. good job:-)

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 703
looks good. oh and that is some nice wire. you dont see oragne every day.

my friends got that car but his is actually a retired cop car and hes got the spot light and tinted windows and stuff. its funny when he pulls up to partys witht he spot light on and stuff everyone freaks out.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4677
Yeah, the wire is Memphis, I had to pay $5 a foot! I got my HO alt and it needed to be swapped for my stock alt the same day because the HO alt had a core charge on it-no other choice but to go to the local audio shop and buy it. All I did was buy six foot of that and a 1/0 connector, and they send me a personal card thanking me for coming to their shop haha.

Mine is also a retired cop car, they're the best! If gas mileage was slightly better, i'd be even happier :-)

What year is your friends car? If it's an 03, he can retrofit the '04 HO alt onto it for around $267 or just pull one from a wrecked car. The '03 and under take about 65A for the car to run, and they have stock 130A alts. Not too shabby for power reserve for a system.

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Post Number: 1000
looks good man i like your car, i bet it sounds awesome, those ppi amnps are sweet.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3318
not as sweet as ur 1000th post! haham your a gold member in my book no matter what it says.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 554
haha i will be there soon but ya jexx u have i sick system

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 765
i like that ghetto velcro job on your tweeters A+++ in my books...lol

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2364
i like that 100% on the amp lol! jexx i like your system... i thought you were more a SPL guy... but i'm impressed hehe.. how do you like your HU cuz it looks awesome and i've heard some good reviews about it... is that true?

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 324
man i had that exact same ppi amp and it was the biggest mistake ever to sell it.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 179
I like the Gold conection Looks real good and nice car Btw

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 19
those coneections on the battery need to be cleaned up your going to get currosion on that wire

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4810
Thanks for the additional comments, guys.

quote:

those coneections on the battery need to be cleaned up your going to get currosion on that wire

Not at all.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 218
WHat modle of ford is that its sexy

Bronze Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 24
Nice looking setup there Jexx.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54