VERY budget music system- serious bang for the buck!

Bronze Member
Username: Furyous

FL USA

Post Number: 44
I had a lot of equipement left over after upgrades over the years and decided to put them together to make the best 2 channel system I could with what I had. When I thought of it, something that sounds this good can be put together for $600 or less.
Upload
Here's the whole package.
Upload
Homemade tower speakers cost about $200 to build. They weigh 213 pounds each and sound amazing. Very complex enclosure inside I invented after 15 years of trial and error. Patent pending so no secrets revealed here.
Upload
Scott LK-48 B tube amp I picked up at Altenrative Audio in Atlanta for $200. I updated the looks a bit by adding machined aluminum knobs and painting the chassis and transformers gloss black. I always loved the sound of this thing. That is a Sony 200 disc changer which makes it convenient to listen from disc to disc. You can pick these up for less than $150 new now, although this cost me $280 when it was the latest thing. You could go with a single disc used for dirt cheap and spend the rest of your money on quality cables. The end result is amazing- It takes me away from my massive home theater system now and the to have a stiff drink and listen to forgotten music. What a cheap escape.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 132
Looks great! I expecially like the look of your DIY speakers. Very well done:-)

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 452
looks very old fashion

i like it

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4952
dang...let the cat out of the bag on the speaker enclosures man, i won't tell anybody:-)

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 45
Let's just say it's a combination of several enclosure types used in such a way to produce a flat frequency response extremely efficiently. Many people ask where the sub is, but I am only running MCM 8" woofers. They are crossed over at 120 Hz so the 6.5's don't contribute to the bass at all. Bummer that the tweeters inside the 6.5's blew (they are coaxial like KEF loudspeakers). Imaging was noticeably better before I was forced to put the titanium tweeters up top.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 160
Sounds like a puzzle for the speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 100
Furyuos,

Nice nice nice, like the gear; how's the sound ?

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 47
Sound is as pure as I've heard, thanks. I used to go to Audio Alternatives in Atlanta with any girl I was dating at the time. The owner (Allen) is a great guy who would set me up with some vinyl and dual Nakamichi Golden Dragon tube amps and wring that cost more than my car, dim the lights, leve the room, and close the door. Not totally up to par with that system, but sure does remind me of my single days. I think by now I have gone through most of the 200 discs in the changer and I haven't felt the need to so much as adjust the bass or treble controls. Just sounds natural.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1619
Furyous

Ported at the rear are they, or are they sealed?

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 28
I love it! Good work!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts