My 'Ultimate Custom Built Media Room'..I dont like to brag but ..(Part2 1080P screen pic)

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 50
Upload
Upload

I mentioned in a earlier post below I was upgrading my screen to a 1080P. I have been waiting since I built my media room 8 years ago for the video to catch up with the audio.
I had to guess 8 years earlier what 16x9 screen size would be the standared. I started with a 55" 4x3. The Idea was to remove the 2 white side panels (see earlier pic post) for a 16x9 format. The 61" 1080P screen fit in perfect. The idea was to have a uninterrupted 9 foot long black glass inlay. The screen totaly disappears when off. The picture quality is the best I have ever seen and the TI's gen6 chip's 10,000 to 1 contrast level is so black, the edge of the screen disappears even when the screen is on. Black is ultimate black and white is ultimate white. Colors explode off of the screen. The video quality has FINALY caught up with the audio quality. (see earlier post for audio and room details) https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/118823.html

The screen was so bright it was hard to take good pics. I did however, get a few great hi-res photos if anyone is interested.
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Additional photos.
Upload

Upload

Username: Gsuk

Post Number: 10
I remember your original post. New set looks awesome! I bet you still can't wipe that grin off your face every time you walk in the room

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I have a hard time doing anything else now. I use to be able to multi-task while the TV was on. I could eat,read and watch a movie. Now I cant take my eys off of the screen. When a Hi-def station is playing ,its like I am being brainwashed?
Funny thing is, the combo of sound and video is so overwhelming, I get pulled into movies faster and even movies I have seen before are, like watching them for the first time...
I cant wait till Hi-def DVD players are out.
Any one know when the delayed release date is???

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 51
I think it'll be a while because of conflicting formats...In the meantime, you might want to check into DVD players that upconvert the the resolution to 1080. Panasonic makes one for about $150.

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 193
You have Fantastic Lighting in that room. What colour are the walls. Ive been trying to do the exact same theme inside my room. Thing is i cant get the colour just right. Excellent TV!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
The paint I used on the walls are "DURON" Flat Antique White. I have it throughout my house. It is very consistent and covers flawlessly. It is not good with marks and fingerprints but in this room thats not a factor.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
AS for DVD players... I have struggling with this. I am currently using a Harmon Kardon DVD22 480p. I have been looking at the (Neuneo HVD2085 1080P)or the (Panisonic S-77 1080i).
Do you think the picture would be that much better than my current HK? I was hoping to jump on the first Hi-def player when they come out but if its not going to be out till next summer and one of the two players above are noticeably better than what I have, I will have to get one now. "Here I am again waiting for technology again" :-)

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 474
Since it looks like Toshiba's HD-XA1 will be delayed until March 2006 along with 90+ HD DVD titles, poor Mystro will be waiting for technology once again. I admire your cutting edge attitude, as well as your deep pockets.

Meanwhile, relax and enjoy your excellent DVD player.
:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Thanks John, thats what I wanted to hear. It will give me some time to save up some coin. Sounds like the timing will be a great Income Tax return present (Thats what I will tell the wife). Any word on cost per HD movie??

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 235
Wow, thats all i can say
very nice

Bronze Member
Username: Smokey847

Post Number: 19
Hi def DVD players are already out, aren't they? Isn't this one? http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=364

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 478
Mystro: I cant wait till Hi-def DVD players are out.
Any one know when the delayed release date is???

Hank: I think it'll be a while because of conflicting formats...In the meantime, you might want to check into DVD players that upconvert the the resolution to 1080. Panasonic makes one for about $150.

J B C: Hi def DVD players are already out, aren't they? Isn't this one?

I'm not familiar with the Panasonic unit Hank refers to, but the Samsungs (HD-931 & HD-841) upconvert regular 480 DVDs to 720p/768p/1080i via their DVI output. While this upconversion seems to produce a slight improvement in picture quality, it most definitely is not true hi-def. Only the Blu-ray or HD DVD formats will produce di-def on an appropriate TV. The Samsungs will not play either of these formats.

It is very misleading for Samsung to imply their players will produce hi-def from discs limited to 480 resolution.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
All the Hi-Def conversion players that are out now are still only using 480P and upscaling (ie. filling in the blanks) to give a Hi-def tv a better picture. It is very like a simulated surround sound is to true surround sound.
My HK DVD-22 gives a good picture but it does'nt have the 3d sharpness as a true HD sat channel. I will again compare it like 480p is dolby surround sound and HD would be like dolby digital surround sound in the audio world.

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 40
Mystro, your HTS rocks! Mine looks like a 1970's setup by comparison, but that's ok. I have something to try and achieve now (maybe in the next 5 years? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/118823.html

As for your question about HD-DVD players, I have a 480p DVD player and DVD is not quite what the TV is capable of (1080i). I watchd The Incredibles the other day and it was alright. Then, I hooked up my desktop, which has a 128 MB Radeom graphics card, with an output of 1920x1440 pixels, to the HDTV. Static screens flicker like crazy, but then I watched The Incredibles on the PC and man, the difference was amazing!!!!!

Anil

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 41
I think your lighting rocks as well - gotta learn how to do that. It makes the room look so cozy and plush.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Back when I was designing what the room was to look like(8yrs ago), every magazine was doing the theater look. You know, stadium seating, popcorn machines, velvet drapes, etc...
My wife hated that idea and I was'nt so keen on it because we have to use the room for more than watching movies. We live in central Pa. and already this media room idea was beyond anything anyone had ever seen in the area. We wanted to use comfortable but unique furniture. I went with the over sized unfinished supple leather. Much like cigar lounge or Aspen ski lodge look. I am a sportsman so this worked with my lifestyle. Kinda like ultra-hi-tech meets a cigar lounge. Its a great room to spend time in and it doesnt look intimidating to guest that are not tech savvy.

Bronze Member
Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 39
sort of looks tootie fruity to me with your little candles and your cute little cowboys i bet all your boys like it

Anonymous

Shamuchef, I guess your boys would like something like this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Little cowboys?? You mean the Remington bronze statues...right?

Bronze Member

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 44
just kidding i know there worth money ok but its a little to pretty

ShamusDaddy
Unregistered guest
Folks, please ignore the idiot. He's probably sitting in some old dump with a tv he found in the trash and is depressed.

Bronze Member

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 47
chuckle chuckle

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 237
People always talk trash when they see something that they can only dream of.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 244
Mystro. that look is SMOKING!
Lots of hours and $ there, to be enjoyed a lifetime!
Most impressive.

Thanks for the look

Anonymous

Mystro, nice look. I also like the glass setup for the 'negative edge' effect.

I wonder, since this is a multi-purpose area, have you overpowered the space for a good sound or do you have any reverb deadening things on the walls? I have always envisioned a single purpose theater space with dead reverb (that's sorta what the velvet curtain effect helps achieve).

Also, go ahead & ignore the shamu-chef jerk; it's pure unbridled jealousy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
The sound is as good as it gets in a home. It is a very accurate, ballanced sound reproduction. Its a bit on the warm side comared to say NS10's but that is a good thing.
I use it to proof final mixes for studio clients when they want to be dazzled.
Its very much like farfield moniters in a good reference control room.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Part 2 to your question. Carpet was a must. Leather furniture is'nt as sound absorbent as cloth. It depends on the room size and what you want.
I have a accoustic ramped ceiling that cuts down on transient waves.

shamuchef impostor
Unregistered guest
shamuchef is not into knicknacks or the gaybar look but the tv is nice

BigisBetter
Unregistered guest
Very nice setup. I noticed the curved edges. Is that a drywall front or did you do that with wood? I built an HT room last year but am already remodeling it. One of these days I will post my HT room creation. I had to cut back though. It was just getting too expensive. I have an 8' wide Dalight screen and 6 Bose surround speakers, Bose center, and Klisp powered sub. The sound is as impressive as the video. I put the cart before th e horse. I should have finished the room first, but I just couldn't wait.
Again, I like your creative design.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
It is a both drywall and wood. I had custom wood skeleton underneath. It was much like building a wooden boat. It has its own climate in the structure to keep the gear cool and clean.

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 93
Excellent!!! I could not have in a million years been able to come up with a setup like yours. Lighting is top-notch. Custom carpentry is superior quality. I really like how it looks like one huge screen when it's all turned off.

I notice those statues you have so prominently displayed. Are you by any chance from Wyoming? The Wyoming license plate has a likeness of the second from the left statue you have.

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 78
Mystro if you really want HD movies right now, get yourself a powerful Windows XP PC, and you can purchase WMV-HD 1080p movies and plug them straight into your TV from the computer.

Of course the titles aren't very diverse yet, but there is a decent selection:

Optimum Configuration
(Play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)
Microsoft Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
1920 × 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround speaker system

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 22
good work, that room is beautiful. I love the way the audio video works in with the decor.

Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 6
The sound is as good as it gets in a home. It is a very accurate, ballanced sound reproduction. Its a bit on the warm side comared to say NS10's but that is a good thing.
I use it to proof final mixes for studio clients when they want to be dazzled.
Its very much like farfield moniters in a good reference control room.
------------------------------------
Mystro,
That looks excellent. How did incorporate acoustic room treatments into your setup? I imagine they are pretty elaborate, but done in such a way to completely blend in with the room surroundings. How did you place your bass traps and absorption panels so they cannot be seen?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us