Surge protection & green power

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 615
Monster and I would imagine other cos as well, makes surge protectors with what they refer to as "green power". These units shut off power to certain outlets when the control device like a receiver or TV is in standby mode. This means that only the control device is in standby mode. Monster's HDP850 sells for $100 and would be suitable for MOST receiver based audio and HT systems. Unfortunatly, the $400 models they make for high end (seperates based) systems do not have green power.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1911
Just curious.
do I read this right? Stuff that's off gets source power turned off?

I'd be really miffed if this thing shut off my small dish 'cause it thought it was in standby and it took 5 minutes to reboot....everytime I left it for say......12 hours plus:

I think they omitted the 'green' feature on hi-end (sic) gear for a reason. Pushback from people who like to turn their own stuff on/off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
You wouldn't plug a sat or cable box into a "green" (controlled) outlet. I have my subwoofer plugged into a dedicated outlet just for subs or power amps and my TV and DVD/CD player in switched outlets. When the receiver is in standby, the sub, TV, and disc player are off. This feature can be defeated too. The other 4 outlets are not switched. The cable box, iPod charger, VCR and tape rewinder are plugged into these.

Silver Member

Post Number: 664
This way, those devices that do not need to stay in standby mode 24/7 are off when not in use. Units like cable/sat boxes, VRCs and others that need power all the time have it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 966
No life in this thread.

Username: Mena

Post Number: 1
hi, I'm just wondering whether it is safe to connect a surge protector with my 300W power inverter in car? I want to start a travel and the power strip with long cable can makes it easier for the backseats to charge devices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us