Best Universal for the money?

Username: Northplant

Post Number: 1
I have been looking for a universal remote in the $100-$150 price range. I think I like the X10 iconRemote, but I am not really familiar with the company. I have also looked at some of the Harmony models. Any recommendations?

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 44
ebay harmony 880 picked one up for 160 brand new

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 72
The best universal remote for the money would have to be a JP1 remote, but unfortunately they are not in your price range. Personally, I like the JP1 software (and it has great support), but some may prefer the Harmony software, which I have not used.

I have the URC-9910, which is one of the more expensive JP1 remotes at $40, but it includes an RF base, so I can use the remote outside to control my equipment inside (I have outdoor speakers near my deck).

JP1 remotes don't have cool looking displays, but I prefer hard-buttoned remotes that I can operate without having to look at it.

Post Number: 2
I like the Harmony 880, but I would prefer a remote that I don't have to hook to a computer to program.

As far as JP1, how does that work, exactly. I have heard of it, but I don't really understand what it is in lamen's terms.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 73
JP1 also involves connecting your remote to a computer. The difference between Harmony and JP1 is, with Harmony, you are at the mercy of the software on their website which they can change underneath you at any time.

JP1 is unofficial and is written and supported by volunteers. You can find more about it by browsing around www.hifi-remote.com/forums. As I understand it, Harmony software may be a little easier to use since it asks you questions and programs your remote for you.

When I say "JP1 remote", I'm really talking about a subset of RadioShack/UEI remotes that have a JP1 interface. These RadioShack/UEI remotes are fairly decent without using JP1 (i.e. without programming via a computer), but some users with very complex setups that require more memory or long macros may find these remotes lacking without using JP1.

Username: Hip2bsquare

Post Number: 1
Johnny, you and I seem to be the only ones in the world who don't want to have to hook the remote up to a computer in order to set it up. I also took a look at the iconremote, but i don't know anything about X10. never even heard of the company. can anyone shed some light here? Sex Pistols rule man.

Post Number: 3
From what I understand, X10 does a lot of stuff with home automation and security cameras. I don't know too much about them either, but the the website says the icon Remote comes with a 30 day return policy. So i guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out. Here is the product website. x10iconremote.com

Post Number: 4
I got an iconRemote yesterday. It seems pretty cool so far. The favorite channels feature is awesome. I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 130
I have also have an HP and the audio jack, plays music in one head phone. My Ex has an HP, the HDMI port doesn't work. My Ex-BF has a HP, the mic jack doesn't work. So your not the only one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us