Help! Speaker wire turning dark copper color?

Anonymous

I just started using a screw on type bananas plug and meshed speaker wire that comes in contact with the plug is turning dark copper. Should I stop using them? Will this harm my speaker and receiver?

Help! Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 11
Well, first of all, is it the actual copper wires that are turning color, or is it a 'surface change' on them?

The speakers are just standard speakers with little to no voltoge, right? That's what I thought.

Well, I wouldn't worry about them, afterall, the copper is just a passive medium. Even if it turns light pink, it's still going to transmit signal the same. That is, unless of course it's an actual chemical reaction, which is next to impossible.

Anonymous

Hey Dr.

They are just normal Monster XP cables. I'm not sure what is "surface change" means. As for the speakers, they are bookshelf (NHT-SB2) with no voltage.

As long as this doesn't harm my speakers/receiver, they can turn purple for all I care. Thank you for the reassurance.

Cheers,
Alex

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 13
Well, if there is some other dark residue on them, it could be from other outside factors. But if it's the actual wire inside that's changing color, then some sort of chemical reaction has happened and that's very weird.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
What's the difference between 14 gauge speaker wire w/ silver and copper versus copper only. And is flat better?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us