HDMI to DVI Conversion?

Username: Dexter_joyner

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am a newbie so go easy on me. I recently purchased the Samsung (HL-P5063W)DLP TV. I will be connecting a Dish network HD satellite box to it and also a Samsung HD841 Up converting DVD PLayer. Both pieces of equipment have a DVI connector on the back. I would like to hook up both devices via a digital connection (ie. DVI or HDMI). Here is my problem. I conected the satelitte box via a DVI cable. The tv only has one DVI input and one HDMI input. I purchase a HDMI to DVI converter to connect to the dvi cable so that I can connect it to the HDMI slot. However when I do that I only get video and no audio. I heard that audio travels though the HDMI input also. How do i get audio and video out of this on cable since it is coming out of a HDMI slot and then coverting to a HDMI slot? Please help...

Ps. I am trying to do without using a digital reciever.

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 29
Unfortunately Dexter you cannot send your audio through an HDMI connection just yet. Hollywood and electronics manufacturers are still bickering over a resolute protocol for the digital audio transfer in the HDMI connector. You must use the rca analog (red and white) to connect your Dish Network receiver to your tv. Look on the back of your tv at the input panel and there should be an rca audio input near the HDMI connector use this to connect for tv sound. Amazing, digital video with analog audio, This is the trend of electonics manufacturers today, one great leap forward and then a giant step backward. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Anonymous

Hello
I am electronically challenged. I have a household problem I need help with. I have a RCA DirectTV setup with two receivers, attached to TVs in 2 different rooms. I have TVs in other room only a few feet away that I have rabbit ears on. Is there any equipment that willallow me to use the power of the satelitte recievers to 'wirelessly' transmit DirectTV channels to those other TVs in our home without haveing to purchase more rceievers and do a bunch of wiring in the house?

Unregistered guest
I have a dish network dvr 501 model. I have switched back to cable. I have been told that there is a transfer box that will enable me to use my dvrs with the Cox cable service I have.
Is this possible and if so where can get this equipment?
Thank you

rich an
Unregistered guest
DVI only transmits video not audio
when u use a converter you still send only video into the hdmi port
the only way u will get audio is if u connect hdmi to hdmi
in your situation u can always use a seperate audio rca cable to tramit the audio

Unregistered guest
I'm interested in buying a TV with only an HDCP DVI port.

I hope to use this as my home theater PC monitor, too, but I'd also like to know I can hook up my PS3 (when it comes out) to it via the DVI/HDCP port. PS3 is going to have at least one HDMI output, which should be carrying the audio as well. My concern is, if i buy an HDMI-to-DVI/HDCP converter, is it reasonable to think I'll also be able to use RCA for my audio output? Or, is there such thing as a HDMI-to-DVI-and-Audio converter?

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer HDTV that does not have the HDMI inputs. Is it possible to buy just the reciever from the newer HDTV's so that I can include a upscaling DVD player into my arsenal?

Unregistered guest
My friend has an up-scaling dvd player connected through his component inputs. It's an LG model he bought on bestbuy.com. I believe there's a law about external devices converting HDMI signals to be carried on non-copy-protected formats (anything other than DVI w/ HDCP)
If you pioneer has DVI then I'm pretty sure all you need is an adapter for about $30.

GMR04
Unregistered guest
...if i buy an HDMI-to-DVI/HDCP converter, is it reasonable to think I'll also be able to use RCA for my audio output? Or, is there such thing as a HDMI-to-DVI-and-Audio converter?

Technosquid, the ps3 is reported to also have a optical audio output as well as the rca output. If the set up is similar to the ps2 and xbox, then you will be able to use the digital audio or rca audio as well as your hdmi to dvi converter. Therefore, there should be no need for a hdmi to dvi/audio converter.

Unregistered guest
I'm hoping some knowledgable person here can help me solve a problem I'm experiencing.

I've got a wonderful Sony Vega HD television I purchased two years ago. It's the old CRT type, but the picture is the best I know short of plasma. It has a DVI input, which was the best at the time. When I bought the TV, I also bought a Samsung DVI DVD player, the only one available then. Now, less than two years later, the Samsung DVI player died. (Nothing lasts these days.) Naturally, I replaced it with a current HDMI player.

Long story short, I went through a Samsung, Toshiba and an LG HDMI player, discovering that each had major functionality issues. (Dropped sound, freezing picture, artifacts on screen, etc.) I was thrilled to discover Sony just released an HDMI player. As wonderful as it is (and it works!), it has a major flaw. It seems this wonderful Sony HDMI player has a difficult time converting the HDMI signal to DVI, using the proper adapter. At 1080i (and only at 1080i, which is the point, of course) , there's a constant and obvious scrolling bar of faded color passing from right to left across the screen at a constant, repeating rate. I've tried multiple adapters of various quality levels with no change. I swapped the player out three times from different stores and the problem persists. I sent one to Sony for repair, and after an inordinate amount of time Sony tells me it can't be repaired and they'll be refunding my money.

Now, in truth, I can see this scrolling bar on all players on a pure black screen when converting HDMI to DVI at 1080i, but Sony was the only one in which the bar was apparent at all times, and thus very distracting. Plus, the Sony was a great player otherwise. I'd hate to lose it altogether.

My question to you is, are all HDMI to DVI adapters and cables created equal? Are there any documented cases in which one adapter provided a better picture than others? I've tried adapters attached to my DVI cable, plus the Monster brand of cable with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other, all with the same results. Is there an HDMI to DVI adapter that simply works best?

Thanks for your time.

Casimir

Username: Ineedquickhelp

in need of help. Connect my ATI all in wonder radeon 7200 AGP DVI to the HDMI on a sharp lcd 26" widescreen. I can get a video, but it's horrible. tried updated ati's drivers, changing resolution, change frequency, and nothing. Are there window's drivers for LCD TV's to update?

Username: Overthehill

Post Number: 3
First, make sure your video card is HDCP compliant. Second, make sure the cable is DVI-D dual link. Not all HDMI to DVI can support PC DVI.

Username: Myrielo

San Antonio, TX USA

OK I have a Toshiba HDTV model #65HDx82. We are having trouble w/the HD ports. The screen is turning dark purple and green intermently. We only have this problem w/the HD ports. We are also trying to hook up a DVI/HDMI convertor to it so we can use the screen as our computer monitor. Will this do the same thing and what is causing it? Thanks for your time!

Username: Quackka

Hello. i have a LCD monitor with a DVI port in teh back. I have a PS3, an HDMI cable, and DVI adapter. Everytime i try to hook my PS3 into my PC monitor, i just get a blank screen. Can someone please help me or at least tell me what im doing wrong.? My monitor is a ViewSonic VX2025wm LCD Display (20.1").

Username: Surfmedia

If you want to use DVI LCD monitor or TV to play PS3, you may try a kind of gameswitch box, it is used for this kind of situation and also build in the function of switch to another DVI interface computer.

Username: Quackka

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot yosun! i hope it works too =)

Play PS3 on a DVI monitor is not a dream anymore! GAMESWITCH makes it become reality.
It allows you to play PS3 on a regular DVI monitor, plus its switch function, you can either play PS3 or operate PC.

You can play 1080p high quality game on a DVI monitor through GAMESWITCH and don't have to play on expensive HDMI enabled LCD TV only. Now enjoy PS3 not only in living room, but also besides your PC !

Above look like ad, but just a copy and paste

Post Number: 4
Some Test Pictures of Game Switch

20" DVI LCD Monitor(ACER AL2032W) 1920x1080@60Hz (1080p) *Ridge Racer 7*
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/G01.jpg
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/G02.jpg
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/G03.jpg

20" DVI LCD Monitor(ACER AL2032W) 1920x1080@60Hz (1080p) *Ultraviolet* Blu-ray Disc
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/M01.jpg
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/M02.jpg
http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/1/M03.jpg

The monitors can support 1080p over ameSwitch:
Asus 20", Dell 24", Acer 20", LG 20", ViewSonic 19"

Apple monitor is not suggested to use in this situation. Other brands should at least reach 720p.

A media evaluation report:
http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/25732.html

Username: Jas07

Sup,
I have a PS3 also and i also own a Dell 19" LCD monitor. I was wondering how and if i can hook my PS3 up to my monitor? Also can i use my Dell computer speakers with my PS3? There is only one hook up on my speakers and it is the same as head phones to a CD player.

Post Number: 5
Through the gameswitch box, I guess your 19" Dell monitor should be able to display aroud 720p resolution over its DVI connection. The audio will be taken from PS3's AV Multi Port and can be connect to the monitor's stereo input port.

Im not sure u looked at the pic from the link i put down on my post. idk what u mean by my stereo input port on my monitor. and my monitor is only good to 720p? that isnt that good

I have 1 more question, does that gamesitch box come with all of those wires in this pic?
application/octet-streamUpload
ps3 pic.doc (89.1 k)

Post Number: 6
So you have the package picture, you are right, just like what ur posted!

Post Number: 4
ok, im not sure what u r trying to say at all by that?

Username: Synthetek

New York, NY

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U TV with HDMI and I'm trying to hook it up to a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD Cable Box with DVI output. I bought a HDMI cable and a Female HDMI to Male DVI adaptor. When the cable is connected, I get no audio, great HD picture and REALLY REALLY bad picture on my regular digital channels. Anyone? Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 341
RCA outs from the csble box into wherever you're wanting your audio to work from.

I am not familiar with your TV but you may have to chose a different format for your screen for non-HD channel watching.

Post Number: 5
Can any one tell me if my monitor is hdcp? Its a dell UltraSharp 1907FP 19 inch LCD monitor. I bought an hdmi dvi converter from monoprice.com, and im not getting anything. Please help. O yea im using a PS3 to the monitor.

Username: Vetinari

can anybody help me? my situation:
- DVD player with HDMI output
- LCD monitor (Samsung 225BW 1650*1050) with DVI input
- HDMI cable with HDMI to DVI reduction

Everything is connected, but I have no picture on monitor.

What is wrong?

Username: Pday

Okay,
it seems i might know my answer in theory but I would be curious as to the practical applicaiton: I have a 61" samsung HLM HDTV with only one DVI input which i purchased over 5 years ago. Now that my cable box, XBOX and dvd player are all HDMI, I need to figure out how to get all of these sources to connect to the DVI input in the back of the TV. My assumption is that I need to purchase a new receiver that receives all of the HDMI signals and will output thru another HDMI cable to a HDMI-to-DVI converter box and then to the tv. My question is whether this is the best approach and are there any practical problems such as signal degradation or other downsides? I would prefer not to have to buy a new receiver so if anyone has overcome this somewhat annoying problem, that would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing. thanks.

Username: Jmendez

Phillip Day, I have a potential practical problem with your setup, depending on the answer to my question, which is a similar set up.

I have a PS3 connected to my receiver via HDMI. This receiver is connected to my TV through an HDMI cable and HDMI-DVI adaptor (the tv only has a DVI input).

When connected this way, I do not get audio transmitted (the cables are 1.3a compliant and the receiver is supposed to handle at least some forms of audio decoding on HDMI). The PS3 gives an error message something like "unable to transmit audio on this connection" when connected this way.

When I disconnect the HDMI cable from the HDMI-DVI converter, I do get audio (but I have no way of verifying that video is still being transmitted).

Sony customer support has been unhelpful other than to give a canned "we do not recommend using HDMI-DVI adaptors" without reasons for giving this advice.

My *suspicion* (a guess really) is that connecting to the DVI adaptor/tv makes the configuration be recognized at the source as a "video-only" connection. Does anyone know if this is true? I found an existing "HDMI to DVI & audio" adaptor exists: if I used this instead of my HDMI-DVI adaptor, even without connecting anything to the audio output of the adaptor, would it suddenly start working?

Username: Sureshabi

Hello,
I have Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV with Bell Expressvu RCA 6100 HD TV box subscribed to HD Programming.

My HD reception is not looking good at all, i have set the display to 720P, even though my satellite provider supports upto 1080i signal.

I am having component video cables (3 cables running from the HD Satellite box to tv) and i suspect that this is not providing good quality picture.

which is the best cable to use for my TV/Box?.

N.B: The display on the back of the HD box says "DVI-HDTV"?.

I am newbie to this, could any one help me find the best cable (DVI/HDMI) for this purpose?

Thanks in Advance
Suresh

Username: Warrenz

the ps3 is reported to also have a optical audio output as well as the rca output. If the set up is similar to the ps2 and xbox

Username: Jletual

Ok so I don't know alot about this stuff, but I do know how to hook up cables.. But I am having some audio issues.. My cable box has a DVI output and my LCD Tv is HDMI, so I have a DVI to HDMI cable. I understand I need to have seperate analog audio cables, which i have set up as before with just basic cable set up.. But when i hook up my DVI/HDMI cables, I get a nice video output, but no sound.. Can anyone help?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15411
How is the audio output from the cable box connected?
DVI does not carry audio signals, I'm not quite sure if you knew this...so, having a DVI to HDMI cable will not give you audio.

Julia,
Remember that DVI only sends a video interface while HDMI can transmit both audio and video. Almost all of the new cable boxes are now in HDMI so my first suggestion is to go back to the cable company and ask them to swap it out for an HDMI box. If you own the box, then all that the dvi to hdmi cable is going to do for you is to send the video signal so you might have go out and get a set of standard audio cables or digital audio or toslink audio cable and connect the cable box to the tv with that as well to get sound. If that doesn't work, you can always go out and get a audio receiver but we can talk about that if option 1 or 2 doesn't work. Hope that helps.

Username: Jletual

Thanks for your help Berny and Philip, I have the standard audio cables connected from my cable box to the back of the Tv, but that does not give me sound when I attach the DVI to HDMI cable. I already went back to the cable company to get a new box but all they could give me that was in stock was another DVI output box... I guess the only thing I can do is wait till they have some cable boxes with the HDMI output.

Julia,
if it were me, i would tell the cable company to get you an HDMI box or you'll cancel the service. DVI boxes are outdated and are not really used except for specific situations. I have a DVI tv and an HDMI box which means I can't get the sound thru the tV. Instead, I use a receiver to output the sound, and the TV for the video which works great because I don't use the tv for sound because I like my stereo speakers. In your case, you should be able to connect the hdmi to the tv and the audio cables to a receiver and it should work. But I would first give the cable company hell for not providing a box that is technologically up to date. DVI, albeit relatively new (7 years), is outdated by HDMI. I bet if you go to a digital satellite company, all of their equipment is HDMI compliant.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1165
Julia, is your cable box set up for analog stereo output? Check the audio settings on the menu.

Also, does you TV have a menu with an audio section? Make sure you are set to the correct audio RCA / analog input. Some TVs have back and front (or side or top) RCA inputs.

Username: Jd1

Not sure if anyone has tried this but i have a cable that is hdmi to dvi, i was wondering if i put a dvi to hdmi adapter on the dvi end, will the sound come through? i.e. it will end up being hdmi to hdmi with a dvi in the middle?

Bronze Member
Username: Baxter77

Post Number: 12
Can anyone recommend a quality hdmi switch? My TV only has 1 hdmi input, which is being used by my satellite box. I plan on getting a blu ray player soon, so I'll need a way to hook it up to my TV. Also, are there any inherent problems with using an hdmi switch that anyone has heard of? Thanks.

Username: Mheath8663

Post Number: 8
Although hdmi carries both audio and video, DVI is video only. Regardless of the cables/connectors, you will never get sound from your DVI port. Its likely that you have a seperate audio out port.

Username: Crossy

You guys could buy HDMI to DVI cable.

This is a cable HDMI to DVI, HDMI and DVI deliver the best possible digital, high-definition video for a superior viewing experience. HDMI is backward-compatible with DVI, allowing connection of HDMI-capable components and displays to equipment with DVI connections. HDMI-to-DVI is ideal for connecting digital displays such as DTVs, plasma displays, LCD TVs, and projectors to digital source devices, such as DVD players/recorders, digital set-top boxes, and AV receivers.

Username: Mheath8663

Post Number: 9
You can also use an DVI to HDMI inline adapter. Around $8

HOWEVER, you will NOT get audio through the DVI connection. You will have to run a seperate cable for sound.

Username: Kjo203

Chesapeake, Virginia USA

Hey,

I have a mini DV/HDMI and my sound only comes out of my computer. How do i make it come out of my TV as well?

Username: Pedward

OK, one more HDMI to DVI conversion problem: Just got a Sharp BD-HP20 Blu-ray player, which has HDMI output. Had planned to use it with my Dell computer monitor, which has DVI in. Got the adapter and cable, but when plugged in, the blu-ray player complains that a compatible device is not found. It seems that it is checking for feedback through it's HDMI out, but of course that'll never come from my DVI cable. The audio works fine into my receiver via optical cable, but no video (had to plug in old tv to see the darn menu & error messages) Any way to override this?
Thanks

Username: Tr2001rick

I'm connecting a Verrizon Motorola HD QIP 7100 1's HDMI output to my Dell LCD Monitor's DVI input using a Monster Ultra HDMI to DVI video adapter. The screen functions for about a second and then goes blank for about seven seconds, it functions again for about a second and then goes blank for about seven seconds.....
This phenomena continues whether the Monitor is set to Auto Detect or to Digital Only. The Monitor's DVI connection functions correctly when connected to my Laptop's DVI port. I've tried using two different HDMI to DVI Video Adapters with the same result.
Has anyone seen this behavior?
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can correct this issue?

Username: Alextony

Well...
"If you want to use DVI LCD monitor or TV to play PS3, you may try a kind of gameswitch box, http://www.Rating5.com it is used for this kind of situation and also build in the function of switch to another DVI interface computer."

Username: Jeenx

Hello. I need some help with my setup. I have an older Sony plasma (KE42TS2). It is suppossed to be HDTV ready and has a DVI-HDTV port at the back. I'm trying to optimize the quality of my viewing experience and so I'm thinking of getting a HD cable box. A few questions:
1. Will the DVI connection give a HD viewing experience?
2. I use a Denon receiver . Should the HD cable box be connected to the TV via the receiver?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Username: Tr2001rick

Has anyone encountered the following using an HDMI to DVI converter?

The screen functions for about a second and then goes blank for about seven seconds, it functions again for about a second and then goes blank for about seven seconds.....

Is there a fix for it? I don't want to puchase a gameswitch box just to encounter the seven second blank screen again.

Username: Refai7777

OK GUYS i am new here so easy on me plz with the info.

I purchased an X-box360 (which is HDMI enabled) and i tried connecting it to my Monitor and my monitor supports HDCP/DVI Input only. The video is shown in amazing resolution BUT no audio !! after googling i realized that the HDCP is a video receiver but not audio. To solve the problem i found an input for DVI audio in the monitor but the X-Box360 only has one single HDMI output and no other output for seperate audio. What shall i do ? is there an HDMI caple that splitts into HDCP and another audio output .. and if so .. where t get it from? please help ! thx in advance.

Username: Angie3630

I bought a HDMI to DVI Conversion Cable to connect my desktop to my HDTV Plasma tv to watch movie from my desktop but the connection is not working can you please let me know how I can make my connection work. Thank you

Username: Arg

I just bought an Acer monitor with VGA, DVI (HDCP), and HDMI inputs. My computer only produces HDMI and VGA outputs. I can now use the monitor with either VGA or HDMI. I want to use the VGA to connect to a second monitor, but HDMI sends the sound to the monitor, but I'd rather use my own speakers instead. Can I convert HDMI to DVI (so that no sound to sent to the puny monitor speakers), but then output the audio directly to my external speakers (as I do now)? Will this work? Thanks in advance.

Username: Cxlink

Wildomar, CA USA

here is a link to a place that sales HDMI to DVI Cables.

Username: Davin110

LCD TV connected to the computer interface through a variety of different interfaces to provide the image quality is also different, ordered from best to worst as: HDMI, DVI, VGA, composite image interfaces, S-Video. In general, if the LCD TV resolution is 1366x768, then only the DVI or HDMI can achieve this resolution, to point display. VGA analog interface, because of the need of a conversion process, can only reach 1360x768 resolution.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us