Optical 5.1 signal to 6 RCA

Username: Creativeprodigy

Jakarta, Java Indonesia

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm trying to set up a rather strange home theater system, but i ran into a problem, i need some product that splits an optical 5.1 signal to 6 seperate RCA outputs, one for each speaker and sub. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15606
I do not believe there is a cable that can convert a digital optical signal into 6 channel analog without a converter in-between.

That converter in-between would be a receiver :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2213
Nicholas, you need a processor to decode the 5.1 signal on the optical cable and send the appropriate signals to and power each of the speakers. Audio/video receivers do this.

Then all you need is to hookup speaker wires to the receiver that are terminated with RCA jacks, like these that Radio Shack sells.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=42-2449

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2214
­
Hey Berny, our posts crossed.

Also Nicholas, we're assuming the sub doesn't have its own amplifier.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15609

Jakarta, Java Indonesia

Post Number: 2
Every speaker and sub are active, that why I need RCA because I don't to over power them.

Jakarta, Java Indonesia

Post Number: 3
And what do you guys think about using the Creative DDTS-100, will it work? Because I'm trying to look for something cheaper than AV receiver.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15615
So you are using computer speakers for home theater, huh?

You still need an analog output if you want to go that route.

Jakarta, Java Indonesia

Post Number: 4
No, but they are not home theater speakers either, they are a combination of different products, there is a set of 2.1 speakers which are over 1200 watts and three other active speakers which is another 1200 watts, running through a mixer and 6 seperate equalizers too. But is the DDTS-100 standalone or do you need a computer to run it?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2216
"But is the DDTS-100 standalone or do you need a computer to run it?"

This product appears to be standalone, but the problem with it is that it uses minijack outputs designed to be fed into a minijack equipped amplifier/speaker system using propriatary cables. The DDTS-100 will be very difficult to adapt to self powered speakers that have RCA inputs.

What you need is a true standalone decoder. These are rare because the proliferation of multi-channel receivers have cut demand to almost zero. They were useful in the early days of digital surround in the home, as many people were interested in integrating digital surround with their existing analog equipment. You can still find some of these old decoders used on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SDP-E800-Dolby-Digital-Processor-DTS-AC3-5-1_W0QQitemZ2 00212260123QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebaypho tohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-SH-AC500D-DIGITAL-SURROUND-PROCESSOR-EXCELLENT_W0QQ itemZ300211292639QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I still think you may find it easier to get a well priced older receiver with analog outs than to track down a long discontinued standalone decoder like these.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2217
­
Sometime today, it occurred to me that a simple minijack to RCA adaptor might work. Exact wiring to each speaker might require some testing, but that might not be too big a problem.

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt2RcfMsm&preadd=action

Just plug the minijacks into the DDTS-100 outputs and then the other ends into the speakers with male RCA patch cords. Proper setup of the speaker levels and over-all volume can be handled by the setup protocol and the DDTS-100's master volume control.
­

Username: Bmachina

Post Number: 1
I have exactly the same problem.
I need to convert the digital optical signal output of my PS3 to 6 separated RCA channels (5.1) of my old but very nice Technics Hi-fi.
I mail this company www.atlona.com/
and they send me a feedback that they are working on a converter that converts de digital sign to a analog split channels.
There are many people with the same problem because the migration for newst sistem, people dont want to buy other receiver or amp.
A converter is most apropriate.
here is what they told me:
"...
Thank you for the email

We are actually working on a similar audio solution converter as we speak. The converter will accept Optical/Coaxial and be able to output ( 2-channel or 5.1-channel via RCA). There is going to be an adjustment for the delay. This project had started a few weeks ago, so it is very early in the stage for me to quote you the price, but we should accomplish it within next 2 to 3 month.

Thank you

p.s. the solution is designed for commercial market and therefore might be a bit expensive. Probably in a few hundred $$$ range

..."

I dont wont to spend that money to... this is the price of a nice AMP/RECEIVER.
But Nicholas Feliciano and all of the people whit the similar problem, mail this company, and others company to, to create a solution.
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us