Leaving one end of a cable unconnected?

Username: Filmguy

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 5
hi guys
i am planning to connect my creative zen vision m MP3 player to my marantz sr4300 reciever once in a while so that i can listen to my music off it. i plan to connect it to the analog inputs at the back of the reciever (it doesnt have any inputs at the front unfortunately). as a result most of the time when i am not going to be listening to the mp3 one end of the cable is going to be remain always connected to the reciever and the other end will be unconnected to any device - is this ok? can this exposed terminal cause any problems to my reciever? my reciever is in a very hard to reach place otherwise i could have removed the wire everytime but this is highly inconvenient so i'd prefer to leave it dangling.
also can i use the mp3 player's headphone out to connect it to the amp?
thanks for all yr help.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 78
Leaving the other end of the cable unconnected is not a problem.

You can connect your mp3 player's headphone output to your amp, provided you have a mini jack to RCA adapter (male 1/8" mini jack connector on one end and male white/red RCA plugs on the other).

Post Number: 6
thanks nathan
just wanted to make sure i wouldnt be damaging my equipment bcoz of a lack of grounding or in any other way..
so am off to buy a mini jack to RCA adapter long enough to reach the reciever from my couch.
take care

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 79
On second thought, if you need a long run, you might have better luck looking for an adapter with female RCA plugs. That way, you can use a regular RCA cable you might have lying around in conjunction with the adapter.

Post Number: 7
i'll give that a try.
thanx once again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us