Analog TV/dvd player - component or s-video cables?

George
Unregistered guest
After a lot of research and soul searching I decided on an analog tv vs. something HD compatible (mainly budgetary reasoning). I'm picking up a Sony KV27FV310 this weekend but I'm a little confused as to which is going to be the best connection between the Toshiba SD3900 dvd and the television. The dvd player is progressive scan (which will be turned off as the tv is analog)....now I know I can still use the component video connections, but something I heard yesterday made me question all logic I'd amassed via my research: the salesman told me I'd be better off using the s-video connection as the component video cables would be "TOO vivid" (I took this to mean 'overly colorful', i.e. too red, etc.).

I know I can adjust the sharpness, color, etc. via the tv's controls, but this made me stop and question which cable I should be using for the best picture. I was under the impression component cables would allow me the clearest, sharpest connection.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. I don't want to take it this far, buy the s-video cable and deep down feel like I'm cheating myself every time I put Raiders of the Lost Ark in the dvd player.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 256
you are absolutely right, that the component cables would be a much better connection than s-video. Seems like the salesman has no idea what he was talking about.
it would be best to go with component video, I certainly doubt that you will get "too vivid" a picture.

cheers

George
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Berny. That's what I was hoping.

Christian Lenoir
Unregistered guest
I've got a Sony KV-29FS12A w/ component video in, and a DVD w/ component video out. What I don't know if this Sony is high definition or not. II tried setting the DVD at 480p (progressive scan), but the picture on the TV jumped.

The DVD manual, on the other hand, said that the "cable connections for component video might differ from those pictured, depending on the TV". So I gather this might mean that not neccessarily should the DVD's Y, Pr, Pb match the TV's Y, Pr, Pb???

Apart from setting the TV to NTSC, is there any other secret to connecting component video on my Sony TV?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 262
if your TV is not capable of progressive scan you will get a scrambled picture. But as long as it can accept component video input, you should have no problems...just make sure that you don't set the DVD player to output progressive scan.

cheers

Unregistered guest
Can someone pls tell me the most economical, efficient and time saving method of converting my Hi8 and std 8mm video tapes as well as my VHS video tapes onto DVD. I have access o an Apple I-Book and a An Acer (Laptop)530 series running Wndows NT. What software and or hardware is reqd to fulfill this task with minimalist effort ? Than I wish to edit this using Final Cut Pro...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us