Noise on cable line?

Username: Erg

Post Number: 1
I have digital cable coming into the house, split where 50% goes to a cable modem and 50% to a cable amplifier with four outlets. I now have a herringbone mask since installing the amplifier, which I needed because of not having enough signal strength to power everything. Any ideas now? Is this because of a bad signal or bad amplifier or something else?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 35
I had a problem somewhat like it. Is the gain on the amplifier adjustable? I had a Radio Shack amplifier that I had to cut the gain down to nearly half. The herringbone problem seems to be what I remember seeing (20 years ago). If it isn't adjustable maybe someone can tell you what kind of attenuator you could put in line. I had better luck with a standalone amp from Motorola that then fed a 1 to 4 splitter. Both positioned after the split for the cable modem. There are some sharp minds on the forum, maybe some others can help?

Unregistered guest
I have high speed internet. My modem line used to come directly from the main line with no splitters. I moved my computer to a different location where there is a splitter before the modem to split the signal to my computer and modem. I am having upload speed problems which is affecting my VOIP sound quality and my internet connection is very slow. The computer and other components are also plugged into an old outlet without a ground. Can any of these situations cause my problem? Is there a specific splitter to use? I just bought one at walmart. Do I need a high pass filter on the tv line? Any info would be much appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 18
The electrical outlet should not have any effects on your speed, even though I would ground that outlet for safety reasons.
You need a good quality splitter because the signal for the internet via cable uses some frequencies that will not work with regular splitters. Also call your cable company and have them check the signal strenght
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us