Passive subwoofer question

Vladd
Unregistered guest
I have a new Onkyo TX SR502 amplifier. My old system is a Kenwood (unsure of the specific model number). While hooking up my speakers I learned that in order for my sub to work it must be a powered sub. Lucky me I have a passive sub.

What I want to know is if I connect the sub to the old Kenwood receiver and then bridge my old receiver to my new receiver will this damage my new receiver. I would connect the sub to the speaker inputs on the Kenwood labeled "Sub" then on the Onkyo connect a RCA type cable from Subwoofer to Video 1 Input (white only).

Basically I'm trying to make the sub powered by using the old receiver as an amp. I know powered sub's can be inexpensive but I'm on a budget for a few months and just need a solution temporarily. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Anonymous

I have an almost identical setup, though my Onkyo is a couple of generations older (494).

I run the Onkyo's subwoofer out to my Kenwood's CD input, because it's allegedly "cleaner" but I doubt it makes any noticeable difference which input you choose. I happen to have two passive subwoofers, so I connect both right and left channels in the Kenwood to the Onkyo via a Y connector. The subwoofers are connected to the Kenwood's regular speaker outputs (the Onkyo filters out any unwanted frequencies).

I've used this setup for several years without any problem. With my high quality old 15" passive sub, it gives me bass response that only a very expensive powered unit could match.

Bottom line, it works great.

Username: Crn_vairavelu

Post Number: 1
Vladd, you can use your old amplifer to power the passive subwoofer provided the old amplifier can deliver the amount of power that is required by the sub. Normally, subs need a lot of power to move the air and hence you need to be careful with that. I use a Deisgn Acoustics 15" passive sub (stereo). Apart from the method you had mentioned, there is one another method to power your sub.

You can run your new receiver's speaker level output into the sub's speaker level inputs and then take the speaker level outputs of the sub to your main speakers. This way, the subwoofer will reproduce frequencies lower than the crossover and then send the remaining signals to the main speakers. Though this method is economical (saves you an amp), you need a lot of power to drive the sub and in my case, my receiver was not able to drive the subwoofer a lot (all I heard was some thuds). So, I ended up using a old Sansui amp to separately drive the passive subwoofer which gives me a very deep bass. As another user has mentioned in this forum, this combination (with a separate amp), gives a far better bass response than any of the powered subwoofers in the market today (which mostly use 8" or 10" drivers).

So, hold on to your passive subwoofer and then use it well.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
DO PASSIVE SUBS REALLY WORK ON ANY RECEIVERS, DOES IT REALLY GIVE A TRUE BASS SOUND COMPARED WITH THE ACTIVE SUBS? I AM TRYING TO SET UP A HOME THEATER WITH LIMITED BUDGET AND I AM THINKING OF BUYING A USED PASSIVE SUB.
ANY TIPS OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I ALREADY HAVE A "GENERIC" RECEIVER AND 3 PAIRS OF SPEAKERS.just need a passive sub to complete my system.

Unregistered guest
hola soy de colombia y necesito saber como armar un subwoofer pasivo mi receiver es un sony 6.1 y solo me hace falta el sub. pero en mi pais som muy costosos quisiera saber si comprando el atavoz y la caja , tedria que adicionarle un crosover para bajos pasivo gracias.

G_Trump
Unregistered guest
Ron, all things being equal (ie woofer, cabinet etc.) the only difference between a passive subwoofer and an active unit is the addition of an amplifier.

Therefore, as long as you have an additional amp, NOT your theatre receiver, you'll be fine. If not, buy an active sub.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us