How dangerous is Free Internet and TV?

Username: Question

Post Number: 3
If anyone could give me some advise.

2 issues

1. I just moved into an apartment which had the Dish Network. It had the dish and the box. I just moved in and plugged it in and now I have Satellite tv.

2. I also have wireless on my computer and I can connect to someone elses network. Which I am on now.

I am loving the free tv/internet.

Could I get into trouble for these things? And How?

Thanks for the Help

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10460
Maybe it is part of the package when you rented the apartment.

The thing is this...
the apartment had a pre-existing dish and scrambler box. This means the unit is somehow being paid for and more than likely has an existing account. If the broadcasts stop picking up, then, the account has been terminated. Satellite companies are not that stupid. You can get away with it for a while and then if they realize that a box is getting unauthorized content, they will just turn it off.

As far as wireless on your computer, if the broadcaster did not put any encryption on his network, they probably don't care who gets in on the network. Again, probably a feature in your apartment complex. It is not illegal if the broadcast is there for your computer to detect. Now if you are maliciously trying to hack into a secure network without the owner's consent, you can get in to trouble.

Bronze Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

Post Number: 88
LOL, and when ur box does stop working tv, come on over 2 the satellite tv section of ecoustics where someone will likely get u going with free tv once again. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 956
he he, My apartment comes with free cable (about 80 channels) and free high speed internet (RoadRunner, using an ethernet cable to hook up)...of course I am paying $600 a month for a 2BR/2Bath Apt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us