Classical String Music

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 331
I am looking to increase my classical string cd collection. Below is a list of a few favorites and welcome any suggestions.

Mozart
------
string quartets- Quator Mosaiques
String Quintets- Tallich Quartet & Grumiaux's set

Beethoven
---------
Complete String Quartets - Takacs (3 box sets)
Ditto - The Lindsays

Bach
----
Brandenburg Concertos - Boston Baroque Orchestra
Many others

Vivaldi
------
Four Seasons - Sparf on BIS label

Also I like most everything by:
----------
Andrew Manze
Jordi Savall

Thanks for any suggestions

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 332
Oh, I lean more toward smaller ensembles, especially quartets and quintets than larger orchestral stuff.

And just instrumental - no vocals.

Jordi Savall's larger groups don't satisfy me as much.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1424
The English String Miniatures series on Naxos is outstanding. There are four in all which include various composers and equally varied music. David Lloyd-Jones conducts three different orchestra's with nearly equal aplomb.

A fabulous buy is the Borodin String Quartet's Virgin Classic's recording of Shostakovich String Quartet's. It's a 2 CD set at budget price.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 350
Thanks Art

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3590
Which Jordi Savall discs are you thinking of, Don?

The Maggini Quartet has some great discs on Naxos, I think Art I and I agreed on this.

But they cover a different genre from Jordi Savall. He seems, to me, to be the "odd one out" in your list.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 354
I got some Viola De Gamba cds which I liked very much and then heard that he was (more or less) the king of viola de gamba. I like his smaller ensmbles. He seems to have three or four different ensembles he works with - some with vocals and some smaller 5 or 6 person groups, some 20-25 person groups. I seem to like his smaller groups.

I will try to list which ones later - the child is awake and wanting attention!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3592
Thanks, Don. I see. I wondered if it was the Viola da Gamba. Yes, JS is one of the leaders, and a dominant influence.

In that case, look out for "Fretwork" on Virgin Classics, and also "The Rose Consort of Viols" on Naxos. They are just so good. The Rose Consort did some good sort-of "cover versions" of Jordi Savall's recordings from the movie "Tout les Matins du Monde"; all they did was re-name themselves "Spectre de la Rose". But they are excellent, and do not just do cover versions by any means. I think "Spectre..." was a one-off, and probably based on Naxos seeing the commercial success of Marais, St. Colombe etc. as recorded by Jordi Savall on Astrée.

There are some newer Gamba consort groups called "Concordia" and "Phantasm", they are also very good.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3593
BTW I loved your short-list, Don. What a place to start.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 355
When I hear something I like I research it as much as I can and end up with some good choices that I otherwise wouldn't have a clue about. I don't know Classical that well at all.

The Shostakovich mentioned above seems to be the clear winner in the Shosta - string quartet discs avaialble.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3594
I have a complete Shostakovich String Quartet Cycle by the Rubio Quartet on Brilliant Classics. I can strongly recommend it, for performance and sound.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 884
Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on a tale bt Thomas Tallis, Fantasia on greensleeves, The lark ascending, also if you want massive sound try Mahler's 8th symphony (symphony of a thousand).
wonderful thing about classical is that there is so much out there waiting to be discovered.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 396
I just purchased Bartok's String Quartets on Naxos. I haven't heard this particular 2 CD set yet, but be warned: steer clear of this if you're looking for soothing dinner music. The quartets are, however, important 20th Century music.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 356
I bought the Bartok String Quartets by the Takacs - not really my cup of tea but I figure I will grow into them - maybe.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 357
Thanks for the further recommendations, everyone

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5389
Don,
How goes the classical strings music search? Have you tried anything else?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us