Guitars never sounded so good.....thanks again !!

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 14
Hi
I used to have a simple audio cassette of Nirvana, Unplugged in NY, which i used to love listening to again and again on my small stereo... All this while i used to imagine, how it will sound on a good system !!
And now THANKS AGAIN to all the great people here who made me buy some excellent pieces of equiment....today infact right now in the middle of the night (in India), Kurt Cobain never sounded so sweet, Nirvana's guitars never have sounded soooo good....(on a CD this time !!)
i could'nt stop myself, and am back to thank all of u once again....
May God bless u all !!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1185
Manish,

You have been saved from a state worse than Bose, if I remember. Pay your dues: look after Mrs Gandhi. That's a tough and important job she's got.

BTW I read about "Cadence" speakers; they look good on paper. Were you not tempted by a local product?

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 15
You bet she (Mrs.Gandhi) has taken a tough job in hand. And with all due respects to her, she is really a very courageous woman. And i am really very very surprised at the behaviour of some of the Indian politicians....they talk about her origins ?? its shameful, she has given her entire life to this country.....and how does it matter.....for the sake of her love, she has seen so many tragedies in her life....
anyways.....lets be back to music :-)

Yes i did get tempted by Cadence, infact i am right now working in Pune, India, and Cadence is based in Pune only, and i met one of the founding members of the company also, he was the one who gave me a demo !!
They were good no doubt, but then in comparison to B&W (the one i bought), Cadence's sound suited better for Jazz, and i am not a Jazz guy..!!
but yes they were impressive no doubt...and have u seen their amplifiers ? they r tube based and real bulky ones, warm yes....but were totally out of my budget....
u know what...the other day while reading all the posts, i was wondering, many of u guys had bought their first systems, when i was'nt even born !!
i am just a 29 (oh GOD !! i am nearly 30 now) yr old Software Engineer from India, who loves music..and that is what i have always really really enjoyed in life. but access to all these nice peices of audio equipment is not that easy in India :-(, maybe things will improve some day :-)

btw after Nirvana, it was then Echoes by Pink Floyd !! had the night of my life !!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1192
Thanks, Manish. Things will improve, I think. And so they should. Good luck!

Cadence electronics look rock-solid to me (again, on paper); they look like the sort of cult audiophile gear that has such a following in N. America or Europe. On this forum, only the speakers are mentioned, I think. A guy here (January 14) chose them over B&Ws:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/9595.html

Anyway, you do not need to worry. You have a really good system, there. All the best. PS I agree about Mrs Gandhi. It must feel good! The only good thing about that stupid argument (according to which, nobody is eligible for anything) is that, in the US, Terminator will never be president.

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 16
Well, Cadence did sound incredible in the demo room. I had two of them, i mean the demos. First time, i did not have my own CDs, the kind of music i listen to. So it was his choice, and that man is a big time jazz fan...
Next time i had 3 CDs of mine, Motley Crue, Enigma and Meatloaf (live). I know maybe technically speaking these might not be the best ones to demo a speaker's true response. BUT...this is what i listen to....
And somehow that time, at least for Motley Crue, Cadence lacked the punch...that B&W had provided me with.
And then they were way too expensive as compared to B&W in INR not $. And another factor was i am new to high end audio, so had to take the safer option too.and after reading through this forum for nights and nights, of course i chose B&W and yes John i am very much satisfied with my decision :-)

And yes, i know this might be different compared to the classics u guys listen to, but by any chance have u heard Metallica S&M, the concert Metallica had with San Francisco Symphony Orchestra ? That was my first experience with something of my sorts, playing along with a symphoney orchestra and it was mindblowing.....i wish i could had the opporchunity to attend that concert :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1198
That's great, manish. That's an interesting concert!

This classical versus rock idea is a load of tosh in my opinion. From all recommendations of my more rock-orientated friends, here, I listened to a Pink Floyd CD this afternoon. Loud. In stereo. It was fantastic. I can see why they go on about it.

The other thing I think (and seem to be in a minority about) is what you listen to makes no difference to the sort of equipment you want. Sound is sound.

I don't know about Meatloaf, but, generally, I think that any live recording is going to be a good test disc - there was once a real performance, and you can see if it sounds like you were there. A lot of classical recordings are completely synthetic and it is waste of time trying to pretend it will ever sound like a performance.

Again - classic vs. rock discs is not an issue, there, either, imho. Or anywhere, really, except tribal loyalties. And look where they get us!

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 17
well, that effort (classical vs rock) was a very well thought experiment...and at least listening to that CD is a good experience. But John, u have mentioned a point, where i would also like to ask u something...
Even i was expecting, that this setup would give me a live experience at least with some CDs...but frankly till now it has never been that good. Can there really be such a setup that would give u that real feel about it ?? is that possible, except for of course if u go and actually attend a concert for real :-)

i did attribute, my system's failure to do so, to 1) Not at all an ideal room. 2) They still are in their breaking in period
But then still i have been wondering, is it really possible to reproduce that...?

You said: "The other thing I think (and seem to be in a minority about) is what you listen to makes no difference to the sort of equipment you want. Sound is sound."
Well to a certain extent i agree with u, but then lets take an example and test 3-4 different speakers, which are in the same league. then why do they sound differently. cos i did demo some of them myself (what all i could find here :-)), and things did sound different....slightly !!
going by physics, the basic idea to reproduce the sound is the same in all of them, then why do we find that difference ?
could u help me understand answers to these questions ?

and yes....it might not be that pleasant an experience for u to talk to a newbie like me :-), but for me its always a pleasure and a rich learning experience reading what all u write !! and i really do keep waiting for ur answers :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1200
Manish,

There is are some threads here including "Teaching an old dog new tricks..." where the older guys cannot agree on some of these questions! Currently there is discussion about whether people want to re-create a live performance, anyway. You are quite right; some have probably been discussing things like this since long before you were born! So you see, there is no answer, and you have every right to make a contribution, yourself.

Two points : yes, speakers need breaking in. The drivers are mechanical things and just need to loosen up.

When I wrote "what you listen to makes no difference to the sort of equipment you want", I meant "what sort of music you listen to makes no difference...." etc. In other words, I am stating my opinion that "music is music", "sound is sound" etc. and a good system is a good system whether you use it to listen to Meatloaf or Beethoven. This is not widely accepted, please note!

Must go. All the best.

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 18
Thanks John,

"Teaching an old dog new tricks..." is my fav. thread these days :-). But i am happy being a passive reader for that !!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
Manish,

I feel a bit the same way about that thread, myself, but just can't resist.

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 19
hey...i thought u were based in US !! but then if that is the case...how can u reply at this time........?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1213
Manish,

Try "Time" by Pink Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon...

That's older than you are, too!

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 20
Well i already have Dark Side of Moon, Wall, The Division Bell, but all on my old cassettes :-(
Recently i bought Echoes on a 2 CD set...

hmmm someone is into Pink Floyd these days !! :-)
Yes of course all the numbers on Echoes (including Time)are older than me...infact most of the music i listen to and enjoy are either older than me, or before the time i started listening to !!
cos u know, this is not the time for rock bands, and what they produce today is all crap (at least for me)....
what exactly do u listen to normally ?

Bronze Member

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 21
and i forgot "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" too :-)

did u ever listen to "Twelve Dances with God", by Ian Anderson ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1322
Manish,

Sorry for the delay. I do not think I have got a "normally". I have gone through phases of liking almost every sort of music, except Shoenberg, Stockhausen, and Country & Western. Sorry I do not know those last titles. I think someone else should contribute before we go further. There was a vogue for some sorts of Indian music, in the West, which the Beatles helped along. I never really got into that, unfortunately. You seem to need about 4 hours to spare for even a short clip of a rag by Ravi Shankar or similar. It always sounds intriguing to me. Wish there was more time to explore!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 361
Just an interesting tidbit: Nora Jones is the daughter of Ravi Shankar. It's a small world.

Unregistered guest
HI Manish,

Sorry to barge in but i was looking for a home theatre with a budget of around 55K. Bose was a little too expensive for me and Sony didnt give me much satisfaction. What system do you have now with you ? what was the final bill? I also stay in Pune city...

ajit
Unregistered guest
I want to buy a Cadence speaker for my onkyo 7.1 channel txsr602. where to hunt for them

navaz
Unregistered guest
How To Find an outlet that sells Cadence speaker in Mumbai.
Their Pune contact does not exist.
Pl help

Salunkhe
Unregistered guest
Google Man! Here it is,

Postal Address

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CADENCE

72-76 MUNDHWA
PUNE - 411 036
MAHARASHTRA
INDIA
TEL.: +91-20-26813085 / 26870151 / 26870152
FAX : +91-20-26813084 / 26871612

E-mail : cadenceaudio@vsnl.net

cadenceaudio@cadenceaudio.com

Rao
Unregistered guest
is there any cadence demo in mumbai