Wish List for DVD-A & SACD

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 70
I thought it might of be kind of interesting to see what everyone would like to have issued on the hi rez formats that hasn't been yet. Forgive me if this was covered before.

Here's my top 5:

1. Stevie Nicks "Trouble with Shangri-La"
2. Beatles "Sgt. Pepper"
3. Jimmy Buffet "License to Chill"
4. Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyrinth"
5. Karrin Allyson "Ballads"

Any other takers?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 221
Good idea, and let's send it to record companies well in time before X-mas ;-) Here's my list:

1. Pink Floyd "Wish you were here"
2. King Crimsom "Larks' tongues in aspic"
3. Beatles "White"
4. Trettioariga kriget "Trettioariga kriget"
5. Andrew Lloyd Webber "Variations"

Cheers
AL

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 172
Since I am more a SACD fan these would be hybrid cd's with a 5.1 layer. Obviously I like 70's rock.

1. Queen: A Day At The Races
2. Yes: Close To The Edge
3. Beatles: Sgt. Pepper
4. Supertramp: Breakfast In America
5. Kansas: Leftoverture
6. Prince: Around The World In A Day
7. Led Zepplin: Houses Of The Holy
8. Pink Floyd: The Wall
9. Deep Purple: Machine Head
10. Asia: Asia

I guess for other styles I would like Pat Metheny "Secret Story" and Frank Zappa "One Size Fits All".
I guess I'm a little greedy!

Bronze Member
Username: Normanb

Post Number: 14
YES YES Please!!!

Supertramp: Breakfast In America

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 60
All of the Schubert quartets - all of the Chopin nocturnes - all of the Bax compositions - and a partridge in a pear tree. . .

Username: Imagerep

Westlake Village, CA

Post Number: 1
yes, SGT PEPPERS!!!! one of the best Albums of all time! They already remastered into 5.1 on the DVD Beatles Anthology released in 2002 (if you don't have this you're missing out) with an incredible 5.1 mastering job! remastered at Abbey Road Studios by some high engineering talent. So why have they not issued a separate DVD-A or SACD just for Sgt Peppers? I am sure they will, but waiting for the best finanical opportunity. Msg to Bleustar - you forgot about Prince's Purple Rain...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2408
Surely Sgt Pepper would have been in surround sound if it had been available in 1966. One of John Lennon's last remarks, concerning the stereo re-mixes of the early Beatles, was that anything would be OK by him, as long as George Martin did it. George Martin is the only guy who could be trusted to remember the original intentions, and get it right. Did he do the "Anthology" 5.1, Steve? Is it the whole LP, or just the title track? "Day in the Life"...?

Larry,

Personally, I think the string quartet is about the last genre that needs surround sound. Hi-res, yes. I have tried various string quartets in Dolby Prologic, EARS, etc., and the result is always appalling. Stereo lets you hear where the players are; that really enhances all chamber music, for me. If you can tell whether the cello or the viola is on the right, you have good stereo imaging, in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 68
John A. - As I've posted many times, I listen to "most" of my music in stereo, not surround. However, my Onkyo receiver has a "Neo -6" setting that magically turns stereo into sorta "pseudo" surround. Basically, it adds a feeling of "presence" to the music, without putting me in the middle of it.
As with most things electronic, a person can adjust it to suit his/her preference - by boosting sound levels on rear speakers, etc. I, too, have been most uncomfortable at times with those settings, and have had to "tweak" the controls to get the right (for me) levels.
I think that what many surround proponents are really talking about is that "presence" that comes into the equation. For me, to be well-balanced (the sound, not me!) the "surround" must add just that little bit of "alive" quality, without making itself apparent. If you know what I'm trying to say? I seldom express myself the way I "think" I'm expressing myself. . sigh.
And so goes the debate. I'm on the fence - going one way or the other, with a lot depending on the music, and the "presenters" of it. I mean, how wishy-washy can one person get? (grin)
I may have an entirely new perspective when the new Sony gets here - stay tuned!

Westlake Village, CA

Post Number: 2
John,
Actually Martin is interviewed throughout the video, but it was Neil Aspinall and Chips Chipperfield who Produced it. Neil has been an Engr, I believe, on many orig. Beatles productions and worked close w/ the Beatles & Martin. Excellent mixes!

Westlake Village, CA

Post Number: 3
Larry R,
It is my belief if it was producted in Stereo, then it should only be heard in Stereo... as was orginally intended. Forget the rears on this material! Sub of course is fine. Make it 2.1 for 2 channel Engineered material!

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 69
Steve G - welcome to the madhouse, uh, "forum." And I can't argue with your point, because here we get into "subjective" material. What sounds best to you may not be "complete" for me. However, you are on solid ground with your "ghost" appraisal - if it ain't there 2 begin wid - fergedaboudit!
I see that you are in John A.'s camp re stereo vs. surround? You'll get into some lively discourse that way, my friend! Go onto Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks under "Home Audio" and join the fray! (grin)
Anyway - good to hear from a California chap - I was born in Fresno, so have a bit of the West in my blood.
Final question - are you in the "pop" or "classical" camp? Always looking for new backup in my search for fellow-travelors, music-wise! Again - welcome - you'll find that, unlike many forums, the eCoustics bunch is bright, courteous (mostly) and fair (usually). GRIN

More anon. . .

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2413
Thanks, Larry. I have tried one of two stereo things in "EARS" (NAD proprietory; I think it is like Prologic II) that had a lot of ambience, reflections and so on, and thought it was not bad. But imho you don't want to mess with symthetic surround effects, from stereo, for music. Certainly not "real" music (meaning anything that was performed, and you could have heard, had you been there).

Steve,

Thanks for that. I'll have to try to get hold of that. Martin was "the fifth Beatle", as the other four acknowledged. Not only did he produce, he also filled in, even on early recordings. I think he did the piano on "Roll over Beethoven". That blows the rock-classical distinction apart, imho, from the start (Larry, what does it mean...?). A lot of the later arrangements had his input, too. There was real respect there, all around. I'd like to see those interviews. I am with you on stereo. The "Old Dogs" question is whether stereo is always best for music. I think good multichannel recordings can add something. But there are some bad ones, too; no doubt about that.

Bronze Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 75
John A. - OK, sir, you have a good point. But I continue to mess around with various settings, and find that the surround/stereo argument holds up only one disc at a time. On disc A, a bit of surround sounds wonderful. On disc B, it sounds naggy and forced. And so on - I've even ranted on the difference between CD production and sound - which, as you've pointed out, is hardly consistent. So what's a poor boy to do? Do I hear "tweak, tweak" out there? Hmmm. . .
My goal is to somehow recreate music that sounds as "natural" as possible, given my room, my equipment and my budget. Some days I win a little, most days I lose a lot. Sigh.
Anyway - on with the quest!

More anon. . .

Username: Froggy

Post Number: 10
I would asolutely love it if

Loggins and Messina...Full Sail, This album would be oh so good in DVDA/SACD

America's greatest hits

Dire Straits .....Brothers In Arms

Jackson Brown .....Lives In The Balance

Jim Croche's.... Greatest Hits

Buggles....Plastic Age/Video Killed The Radio Star

ETC..........

Unregistered guest
Whats up guys I'm new to this forum and plan to buy my first dvd-audio disc (doors - l.a. woman) tommorrow after buying a pair of paradigm legends that i'm going to stick in with my jbl surrounds and subwoofer until I get more bills to buy matching surrounds and center. I'm 20 years old so you'll see a wide variety here :-)

1. Audioslave - Audioslave
2. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for destruction
3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - anything by them
4. Tom Petty and the heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
5. Beatles - Rubbersoul

Jens
Unregistered guest
Here's what I would buy straight away if they'd release it on SACD:

Stereo or multi-channel
o Miles Davis -- L'ascenseur pour l'échafaud [Fontana/Universal]
o Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd -- Jazz Samba [Verve/Universal]
o Talk Talk -- Spirit of Eden [Parlophone/EMI]

Multi-channel
o The Beatles -- Sgt Pepper [EMI]
o Dire Straits -- Brothers in Arms [Vertigo/Universal]
o Sting -- All this time [A&M/Universal]
o Peter Gabriel -- So [Real World]
o Bryan Ferry -- Bete Noire [Virgin]
o Duran Duran -- Seven and the Ragged Tiger [EMI]
o Simple Minds -- New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) [Virgin]
o Sunscreem -- O3 [Sony Soho Square]
o Madonna -- Ray of Light [Maverick/Warner Bros]
o William Orbit -- Strange Cargo III [IRS/EMI]
o Enigma -- MCMXC a.D. [Virgin]
o Moodswings -- Moodswings [Arista/BMG]
o Innocence -- Build [Cooltempo/EMI]
o Yello -- Baby [Mercury/EMI[
o Jean-Michel Jarre -- Zoolook (or any other title) [Polydor/Universal]
o Adiemus II -- Cantate Mundi [Venture/Virgin]
and anything by Dead Can Dance.

I was very pleased to learn last week that "War of the Worlds" by Jeff Wayne and "Boys & Girls" by Bryan Ferry are about to be reissued on SACD in 5.1!

I wish there was a service where you could submit such wishes in a way the record companies would be informed about it. Didn't Amazon use to have such a service in the early days of DVD, when not quite everything was released? I recall registring for "Koyaanisqatsi" and got notified 1.5 year later that it was actually going to be released (with an option to buy, of course).

Jens
Unregistered guest
Here's what I would buy straight away if they'd release it on SACD:

Stereo or multi-channel
o Miles Davis -- L'ascenseur pour l'échafaud [Fontana/Universal]
o Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd -- Jazz Samba [Verve/Universal]
o Talk Talk -- Spirit of Eden [Parlophone/EMI]

Multi-channel
o The Beatles -- Sgt Pepper [EMI]
o Dire Straits -- Brothers in Arms [Vertigo/Universal]
o Sting -- All this time [A&M/Universal]
o Peter Gabriel -- So [Real World]
o Bryan Ferry -- Bete Noire [Virgin]
o Duran Duran -- Seven and the Ragged Tiger [EMI]
o Simple Minds -- New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) [Virgin]
o Sunscreem -- O3 [Sony Soho Square]
o Madonna -- Ray of Light [Maverick/Warner Bros]
o William Orbit -- Strange Cargo III [IRS/EMI]
o Enigma -- MCMXC a.D. [Virgin]
o Moodswings -- Moodswings [Arista/BMG]
o Innocence -- Build [Cooltempo/EMI]
o Yello -- Baby [Mercury/EMI[
o Jean-Michel Jarre -- Zoolook (or any other title) [Polydor/Universal]
o Adiemus II -- Cantate Mundi [Venture/Virgin]
and anything by Dead Can Dance.

I was very pleased to learn last week that "War of the Worlds" by Jeff Wayne and "Boys & Girls" by Bryan Ferry are about to be reissued on SACD in 5.1!

I wish there was a service where you could submit such wishes in a way the record companies would be informed about it. Didn't Amazon use to have such a service in the early days of DVD, when not quite everything was released? I recall registring for "Koyaanisqatsi" and got notified 1.5 year later that it was actually going to be released (with an option to buy, of course).

Jens
Unregistered guest
Oh, and "A Secret Wish" by Propaganda was high on my wish list. It's supposed to be out on SACD in 5.1 but I've still never seen it in any shop. I guess I'll have to order it online directly from ZTT.

Yes, I'm mostly into 80's music as you'll notice :-)

Jens
Unregistered guest
Well, my promise was tested today - and I kept it. I was in Germany this weekend and there I saw Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" on SACD. I wasn't even aware it was going to be released. It's stereo only, but that's good enough for me in this case, so I went ahead an bought it. No regrets -- I just played it and it sounds chillingly beautiful.

They also had "Colour of Spring", in stereo too. I like that one too, but my vinyl copy is still fine :-)
Not sure if "It's my life" is also issued.
"Laughing stock" would also be nice but this was released by a very different label so this may be less likely.

The shop also had lots of other pop albums on SACD, including David Bowie, Oasis, Texas.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 355
Peter Gabriel's "So" is already out on SACD. In fact, I think all his solo career albums are.

Cheers
AL

Jens
Unregistered guest
I know, but it's stereo only so I'm hoping for a multi-channel release. Only his last album 'Up' was released as a stereo+multichannel SACD (which I bought).

There are some albums though that I would even buy on SACD just in stereo; see wish list above. Anyway I plan to buy:
- Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto
- Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong: Ella & Louis
- Al di Meola, John Mc Laughlin & Paco da Lucia: Friday night in San Francisco,
all of which have been released on stereo SACD meanwhile.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 364
OK, I see. Would be interesting to hear PG in DVD-A m-ch too. IMO the more resolution, the better to enjoy his rather complex music.

Totally agree on the Di Meola/McLaughlin/De Lucia one. I once saw it in a store, and was tempted to pay the 35 Euros they requested for it.

Cheers
AL

Jens
Unregistered guest
Perhaps my prayers are being heard...

Here's some great news from Mark Knopfler's official website: http://www.mark-knopfler.co.uk/ragpickers_dream/news/new_news.php
"On May 9th, 2005, Mercury Records will be releasing a special SACD (Super Audio 5.1 surround sound CD) version of the Brothers In Arms album to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of its release in 1985."

Cheers
Jens

Jens
Unregistered guest
What I would also *love* to have is ABC's The Lexicon of Love in a multi-channel SACD version. You'd think following Trevor Horn's recent SACD 5.1 remixes of Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Propaganda this is an obvious thing to expect.

EMI have released some Deluxe CD edition in 2004 but I think I'll wait for an SACD release.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1680
Wish titles soon to be realised. As hi-res surround titles are either hard to get locally or quite expensive on-line here in Oz, I am currently awaiting a shipment from Acoustic Sounds in the US.

Shangrila - DVD-A - Mark Knofler
Time Will Tell - Dualdisc - Robert Cray
Avalon - SACD - Roxy Music
Imaginery Day - DVD-A - Pat Metheny Group
Honky Chateau - SACD - Elton John
DJ Play My Blues - SACD - Buddy Guy
If You Can Fix It - SACD - James & Lucky Peterson

The landed cost including postage works out on average to equal the cheapest price seen here for a DVD-A. If all goes well with the service, I'll be a happy customer.

Justin A
Unregistered guest
Good news for "Brothers In Arms". I just thought i'd throw my five cents worth of titles into the 5.1 (whatever format) wish list....

Muse - Absolution
Queen - Queen II
Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Peter Gabriel - Us or PG4 "Security"
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Prince - Love Symbol
Depeche Mode - Violator
Alan Parsons project - Best Of
Phil Collins - Hits (just to cover everything)
Silverchair - Diorama
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of life
John Mayer - Room for sqaures

Pity about range in Australia, trying to get DVDA especially is a battle. That list is obviously the tip of the iceberg. A list like that could go forever.....

Jens
Unregistered guest
Definitely agree on 'Violator' there. The fact that Depeche Mode's record label Mute have released their '101' live album should make us hopeful, I guess.

redhenry
Unregistered guest
I also second Lexicon of Love by ABC. My favourite album of all time.

Also would like;
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Year of the Cat - AL Stewart
The Road To Hell - Chris Rea
Rubber Soul and Revolver - The Beatles
Any Album from ELO

T

Username: Sammyc

Since Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" and the first Cars album are finally out, I won't have to include them on my wish list...I only hope the following titles become available sometime in the next few years. The list is in alphabetical order by artist, and I don't have a preference between DVD Audio or SACD, although I do enjoy a great 5.1 mix.

Beatles -- all titles (post "Rubber Soul")
Bee Gees -- Main Course
Eagles -- The Long Run
Electric Light Orchestra -- Discovery
Led Zeppelin -- 1
Led Zeppelin -- 2
Led Zeppelin -- 4
John Lennon -- Double Fantasy (minus Yoko material)
Paul McCartney -- Back to the Egg
Paul McCartney -- Ram
Paul McCartney -- Tug of War
Pink Floyd -- The Wall
Prince -- Purple Rain
Steely Dan -- Aja
Steve Miller -- Book of Dreams
Stevie Wonder -- Songs In the Key of Life
Supertramp -- Breakfast In America
They Might Be Giants -- Flood
They Might Be Giants -- Lincoln

Those have been some of my favorite albums, most of them nearly perfect. I'd also like to see compilations by artists that had a lot of good material through out their careers, but whose original album releases would not warrant me to re-purchase the titles again. However, I would gladly shell out my hard earned cash for "Best ofs" from the following artists:

- Chris Isaak
- Neil Diamond
- Paul Simon
- Cat Stevens
- Jim Croce
- Al Stewart
- Asia
- Kansas
- Talking Heads
- Leonard Cohen
- Heart
- Genesis
- Abba
- Ray Charles
- America
- Bob Seger
- Buddy Holly
- Commodores
- Cream
- Dean Martin
- Donovan
- Earth, Wind and Fire
- Linda Ronstadt
- Styx
- Tears For Fears
- Thomas Dolby
- Three Dog Night
- Chuck Berry
- Tower of Power

The 2 prior lists were off the top of my head. There's probably lots of stuff I forgot, but this post is already too long. Just wanted to get my 2 cents in. Thanks, Sam Cadura www.firstdance.com

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 154
I don't have a wish list I take them as they come and that's that...

Ashley

Anonymous

"[b]Dire Straits .....Brothers In Arms[/b]"

This was a digital recording 20 years ago so I think you're screwed on this one, and probably a lot of other stuff that was digitally recorded in the 80s.

However, I think we're relatively lucky that early digital recording was not used on too many classic albums.

I remember reading that Madonna's Like a Virgin album was an early digital recording on a 16 bit Sony DASH 24 track reel to reel PCM3324S. Who the hell will buy it anyway.

You'll really be out of luck if you're a country fan because about every studio in Nashville was using The Mitsubishi digital Pro-Digi systems by about 1987.

Anonymous

"Dire Straits .....Brothers In Arms"

This was a digital recording 20 years ago so I think you're screwed on this one, and probably a lot of other stuff that was digitally recorded in the 80s.

However, I think we're relatively lucky that early digital recording was not used on too many classic albums.

I remember reading that Madonna's Like a Virgin album was an early digital recording on a 16 bit Sony DASH 24 track reel to reel PCM3324S. Who the hell will buy it anyway.

You'll really be out of luck if you're a country fan because about every studio in Nashville was using The Mitsubishi digital Pro-Digi systems by about 1987.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1955
Anonymous

The hybrid multicahnel sacd of "Brothers In Arms" was released on the 23rd of May. It was remastered into pure DSD and sounds wonderful. Better than the original by far!

Jens
Unregistered guest
Apparently Virgin is going to release Simple Minds' New Gold Dream as a multi-channel DVD-Audio. Remarkable, given the apparent demise of this format. A DualDisc release would be more obvious.

Anyway, it made me wonder whether they might re-issue the SACD in a multi-channel version, at least in Europe, now that they have prepared such a mix. It was released on SACD so far as a stereo-only title.

Username: Nuzzy

Any of the following Greatest Hits:

E.L.O.
The Cars
Van Halen
Duran Duran

I hope these will be SACD MultiChannel releases in the future.

Jens
Unregistered guest
Epic (Sony BMG) released Duran Duran's reunion album "Astronaut" on Dual Disc this year but sadly not on SACD.

It's still not clear to me whether the DVD side of the disc contains DVD-Audio or DVD-Video-type content.

Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
I completely agree with Steve G. but I would add that it's after you get the right set of speakers/cable that listening to 2 channel music in direct stereo is better. I have a JBL 5.1 system with a Pioneer 1014TX receiver and I loved listening to CDs through the Neo:6 processor - it does a lovely job. Now that I've moved my front L and R speakers to my 6th and 7th channels and added a set of Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers as my main channel I find I am appreciating listening to stereo directly through those two speakers much more.
I listen to my discs on the Pioneer DV-45A DVD-A/SACD player.
As for multi-channel DVD-A and SACD, my wish list would be

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
Catherine Wheel - Chrome
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Happy Mondays - Pills Thrills N' Bellyaches
Brad - Shame
Peter Gabriel - So
Mother Love Bone - Stardog Champion
Hallucinogen - LSD
The Verve - Urban Hyms
Live - Mental Jewellery
The Cure - Disintegration
Bruce Hornsby and the Range - Songs From the Southside
Pop Will Eat Itself - Dos Dedos Mis Amigos
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Charlatans UK - Some Friendly
Coldplay - Parachutes

Jens
Unregistered guest
Ah, that would certainly make an interesting listening experience.

As for Duran Duran, Epic (Sony) has finally announced "an SACD Multichannel title for Duran Duran and their best-selling Astronaut" (according to http://www.musictap.net/ ). The title can already be pre-ordered here http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=91735 &skuId=91741

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BVKXB4

I suppose this is the same mix as the DualDisc (but am glad to see it on SACD after all).

I really wonder however whether there will be another title and, if so, which.

MFS
Unregistered guest
Beatles - Revolver
ELO - A New World Record, Out of the Blue
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

As for 2 ch vs 5.1, for me it depends on the music. Dylan is my favorite, but doesn't really require 5.1 to appreciate. As for the "original" recordings being in 2 ch, many were recorded in 8, 16 or 32, but had to be mixed down to 2 ch so we could listen on our stereos!!! Remember Quadrophonic sound? If players were better and cheaper, maybe 4 ch would have been the standard!!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 534
MFS,
I'd add ELO's "Time" album to my wish list in addition to the others you mentioned. Also, you'll be getting your wish on Floyd's WYWH cd. Last I heard it will be out early '06.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
I'm looking forward to picking up Toto IV on SACD as well. It's mixed by Elliot Schriner who did an amazing job with the DVD-Audio released of REM's Green and Out Of Time as well as Sting's Brand New Day (DTS CD).
My wish list hasn't changed much, but I'd have to add Death Cab For Cutie's "Plans" and Coldplay's "Parachutes" to my hi-rez audio wish list.

Jens
Unregistered guest
Well, it seems some of our 'prayers' have been heard: sa-cd.net just reported that Mute Records will reissue Depeche Mode's albums
- Speak & Spell
- Music for the Masses
- Violator
as hybrid multi-channel Super Audio CDs, each bundled with a DVD-Video disc and lots of bonus material added.

I've read somewhere that other albums like Construction Time Again, Some Great Reward and Black Celebration are to follow later.

On Mute's own website I could not find anything about it though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us