Kind of Blue

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 97
Overall excellent sound in both 2 ch and multichannel. The music is amazing too. I think the sessions for recording this are worthy of an Audio Fantasy.

I don't have much knowledge of the mixing techniques for multichannel but this SACD seems to have a subtle mix between the channels. For instance, no instrument is limited to a single channel. The mix seems to follow this system:

- Coltrane solos are recorded in the left front and rear channels

- Davis solos are recorded in the center and both rear channels

- The bass is predominantly mixed in the center channel but is present at lower volumes in other channels.

- Piano is predominantly mixed in left front and rear channels

- Alto Sax is predominantly in right front and rear channels

One cool effect occurs during Coltrane's solo on "So What". If you listen close to the center channel, the solo seems to be echoing/reverberating off the walls of the studio room. It's not noticeable from my listening position. Just noticed it when I was making a round of each speaker.

I like the openness of the multichannel version but the mix of the drum cymbals were a little of an annoyance. They were mixed in the right front and rear speakers and the rear speaker is where the annoyance was for me. I think I would have preferred to have the drums mixed up front.

It's very close as to the preferred mix but I think I like the 2ch better for KoB.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 193
Ghia,

Great review! The cool effect on "So What" is one of the advantages of a multi-ch recording. The rear speakers can be used subtly to provide a sense of the music played in a defined space, providing a more "live" sense to the recording. However, I think mixing small-combo, acoustic jazz for multi-ch playback is a tricky endeavor. I have a Diana Krall DVD-A that has a couple of tracks where her voice seems to be floating in a general area between the center and left front speakers instead of being located at a single point, which would be more natural. It's disconcerting to say the least. What's great, though, about these discs is you can choose to listen in 5.1 or stereo. Also, you might want to try calibrating your system before rendering a final judgment on the multi-ch mix for KoB. Have you listened to 5.1 mix of the John Pizzarelli disc?

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 102
2c,

Hopefully, I'll be able to do some calibration in the next couple of weeks. I've done some tweaking with crossover settings and speaker distances but haven't used any setup discs or SPL meters. The next couple of weekends are going to be very busy with studying so I don't know when I'll be able to devote some serious time to it again. Maybe by mid-June.

Unregistered guest
Hello there! It's been a long time I searched some people with whom I can speak about the blue room!!! What about it? I learnt this concept in the song of U2, "Your Blue Room"...

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 609
The best sounding "Kind of Blue" I've heard now is the Classic Records reissue on vinyl. The sound is so good that I'm hearing details that I never noticed before, especially the brush work and subtle touches of Jimmy Cobb.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us