Live 8 Concerts

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3305
I've just looked briefly over the whole forum, and see no reference anywhere to open-air concerts, today, around the World, at these venues:-

UK -- Hyde Park, London
Edinburgh - Edinburgh 50,000 - The Final Push
Cornwall - The Eden Project.

France -- Palais de Versailles, Paris

Germany -- Siegessaule, Berlin

Italy -- Circus Maximus, Rome

USA --Museum of Art, Philadelphia

Canada --Park Place, Barrie

Japan --Makuhari Messe, Tokyo

South Africa --Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg

The Russian Federation - Red Square, Moscow

Let me paste in the London line-up, for example.

African Children's Choir
Annie Lennox
Bob Geldof
Coldplay
Dido
Elton John
Joss Stone
Keane
Killers, The
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Ms. Dynamite
Paul McCartney
Pink Floyd
Razorlight
REM
Robbie Williams
Scissor Sisters
Snoop Dogg
Snow Patrol
Stereophonics
Sting
Travis
U2
UB40
Velvet Revolver

Isn't this remarkable?

Any views?

http://www.live8live.com/

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2073
"Isn't this remarkable?"

Yes John, it certainly is. I for one would like the live8 concerts to be successful in turning apathy into empathy, inaction into action and maybe, just maybe, convince some governments to send their secret assasins into some of those downtrodden countries to eliminate their evil, greedy, ruling tyrants - similar to what they should have done in Iraq. Eliminating debt is one thing but ensuring the elimination of poverty is another.

I dip my lid to Geldof for trying no matter how much of a nutter some might deem him to be. Lets hope music can accomplish something big for this gig!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3313
I agree with that, My Rantz. Will it have any effect? I think so. I mentioned the movie "The Girl in the Café" on another thread. It is part of the campaign. The G8 leaders may not acknowledge these inputs, but their thanks is not the issue.

Click.

Click.

Click.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3322
London Live 8 performances rated

No interest in this "Historic Event".....?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 492
I watched, sporadically, however the TV coverage in the US was horrible. I did not see one complete song until PF came on. Even then they cut away from Comfortably Numb just as Gilmour broke off into his solo. At any rate it was nice to see Gilmour and Waters on stage together after all these years.
With the weather being so nice here, Mrs. Sem lined up too many projects for me to do for me to to sit inside.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3330
I though PF were just great, Sem!

There was some tension between them, you could see that. Gilmour played this sublime music, and, when finished, he seemed like he was just going to walk off, but Waters kind of pulled him back to centre stage to present the whole band, arms around each other's shoulders. There must be many photos of that. I think Gilmour was alarmed at the size of the crowd. He spoke out from the last chorus of "Hey Jude" to ask people to leave slowly, and not all from the same exit. I could relate to that; it was practical. He was not there for the limelight. It must have been the music, and the cause.

From Live 8: Hollywood Reporter:

Playing together for the first time since 1981, Pink Floyd's bassist Roger Waters, lead David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboardist Rick Wright looked right at home. They made shimmering deliveries of "Breathe," "Money," "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb," even if Gilmour had said earlier that performing with Waters after their long falling out was "like sleeping with the ex-wife."

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3334
Here is the open letter from the Live 8 organisers, published on Saturday as full pages in the UK national newspapers The Times and The Independent

July 02, 2005

An open letter to the G8 leaders

Tony Blair UK
George W. Bush US
Silvio Berlusconi Italy
Jacques Chirac France
Junichiro Koizumi Japan
Paul Martin Canada
Vladimir Putin Russia
Gerhard Schroder Germany

Hi guys.

Just so we're clear . . .

The Live 8 concerts that are happening this weekend will be a wonderful musical occasion. But despite the fact that the world's greatest popular musicians are playing -- they are not the stars of the show. The 8 of Live 8 are not 8 musicians or bands -- they are you, the 8 leaders of the G8.

Let this be absolutely clear before the first note is played. Everyone taking part in these concerts is there because the many generations watching will not tolerate the further pain of the poor while we have the financial and moral means to prevent it.

We are gathering for you the largest mandate for action in history. Just as people demanded an end to slavery, demanded women's suffrage, demanded the end of apartheid -- we now call for an end to the unjust absurdity of extreme poverty that is killing 50,000 people every day, in the 21st century, Live 8 is taking place so that you, our elected leaders, right now, in 2005, make the breakthrough demanded by, amongst others, the Commission for Africa, in the battle towards making poverty history. You know what needs to be done, specifically:

On Aid: Deliver an extra $25 billion aid for Africa and make plans to ensure this aid really will be effective at eradicating poverty. This must stand beside a further $25 billion for the other poorest countries of the world. This is the absolute minimum required to begin to win the battle against extreme poverty.

On Debt: Confirm the 100% debt cancellation from the G8 finance ministers meeting and commit to 100% debt cancellation for ALL the countries that need it and remove damaging economic policies that are imposed as a condition.

On Trade: Make decisive steps to end the unjust rules of trade, and allow poor countries to build their own economies, at their own pace. It is only through trade that Africa will eventually beat poverty on its own.

Let it be equally clear -- That at the same time, African governments must be free from corruption and thuggery and put in place recognised practices of good governance, accountability and transparency towards their own people and to the world.

Twenty years ago at Live Aid we asked for charity. Today at Live 8 we want justice for the poor. The G8 meeting next week can take the first real step towards eradicating the extremes of poverty once and for all.

We will not applaud half-measures, or politics as usual. This must be a historic breakthrough.

Today there will be noise and music and joy, the joy of exuberant possibility. On Friday there will be a great silence as the world awaits your verdict.

Do not disappoint us. Do not create a generation of cynics. Do not betray the desires of billions and the hopes of the poorest of our world.

Are those 50,000 people each day to be allowed to live, or not?

Everyone at Live 8.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us