Archive through August 26, 2011

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24582
Someone isn't thinking fourth dimensionally.

Remember when laser disc came out and at the time EVERYBODY thought it was the bomb and here to stay?

What did it last, 3 years?

Cassette and VHS held their own and so did CDs. DVD's about on par as well. IMO Bluray is a blip on the evolution scale. Just like laser disc was.

sean
Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 17006
we shall see....remember it beat out another format HD

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24587
I give Bluray 5 years or less. Siding on the less factor lol.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17007
im betting it will last longer than that and im thinking maybe long enough to see dvd's disappear from the store shelves

leo stierer
Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2254
Does anyone REALLY think that DVD will go away? Like VHS? I have a double player which hasn't seen a TAPE in probably 8 years.

I remember the transition from VHS to DVD and double releases were common for quite a while. maybe a couple years.

I don't think DVD will go away until there is more BlueRay market penetration....which I don't have the numbers for. While I agree that DVD must be limited, don't forget computers. Have BlueRay drives become common? I mean burners, too. And at a price point which makes financial sense. The last DVD burner I bought for a PC was about 35$ or so...with OEM version of Nero. DVD, at least blank media, will be around for quite a while IF the PC doesn't go BlueRay.
This is the main difference between DVD and the VHS situation. I can't think of a SINGLE VHS drive for computer!

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24589
Lol it's because DVD is digital info, which computers easily understand. (It's all those 1's and 0's).

I'm not saying the media will change in format (digital) but what it's stored on. That 4" disc will be soon be a keychain device that will hold 10X the data. Let's face it, the key to it all is compressing it down in size.

Someday when you're looking for a movie to watch you could be searching for a small sleeve that has your entire collection in it. Think about misplacing that!

Oh, and I still own a few PCs (in the basement) that don't even have a CD drive. I also have a bunch of 3.5" diskettes from way back when. Yes even 5.5" floppies as well lol. Not sure what to do with them but I have them.

Going back even further I remember my first PC, a Tandy 1000 (actually my brother's). Data was stored on cassette tapes that was connected to a player/recorder and the PC and it took a good 20 minutes of inputting code line by line to play a simple musical melody.

We were.................amazed.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2255
Paul.
The VHS drive was supposed to be a JOKE. Everybody knows they were BETA.
We had 8" floppies on some equipment at work. They held maybe a couple kb of data. or some such ridiculous low number. The drives were slow and made a clunking noise while at the same time being of only OK reliability.

My ancient VIC20 had a cassette. I can't remember the numbers, but it was slow and almost no memory. The Commodore C64 was a huge but more expensive step UP.
http://www.64hdd.com/index_en.html
Apparently there is still a small fan-base.

Sharukh
Username: Tamilcinemasharukh

Post Number: 1
I keep in mind the transition from VHS to DVD and double releases were common for quite a short time. perhaps a few years.

http://www.filmics.com/

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17026
I had the atari 130 xe which was out when commodore was out but my drive had the happy chip in the drive and smoked any commodore drive performance.....man were they slow but had great games.....i remember my 800 baud modem i had for it and got on the internet with it when long distance rates applied

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17028
this just uploaded today

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2265
HEAD FOR THE HILLS

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24613
Oh man I don't know what to say.

Really.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2268
Arrival was on last nite.
Charlie Sheen before his ego exploded. Great scifi and more realistic than many.
Aliens come to Earth and plan to stay...once they've made it more comfortable. And boy, they like it HOT.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24616
Anyone here see The Informant? Matt Damon plays the roll of a seemingly innocent corporate exec who finds himself in the middle of corporate "price fixing". He lends his service to the FBI hopefully in exchange for a back door out of the mess. Based on a true story.

Not at all what I expected but not horrible to say the least. 7/10 stars is my take. Again because I like Damon.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17052
i saw it...id give it about the same rating

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24622
It was good just not groundbreaking ya know?

Looking forward to this Summer's hits.

New Twilight, (yes I grew into it), Pirates of the Caribbean. and Transformers.

I love movies. That's why I'm here lol.

Ok so what if most of them are childhood memories lol!

Still fun!

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2015
lol ^ to add to the list of summer hits:

Thor
Fast Five
Captain America
Hangover 2
XMen First Class
Kung Fu Panda 2
Cars 2
Harry Potter 7 Part 2 (fcking can't wait for this!!)
Cowboys and Aliens
Conan the Barbarian 3D???

This is prob one of the best summer of movies to be released. I think next year may take the cake with the new Batman, Spiderman, Avengers, and all that other DC stuff.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24625
Hangover 2......definitely going to see, er at least buy.

Xmen First Class........I'll wait till it hits the bins.

Harry Potter........good series but not my cup of tea. It just keeps going and going and going.

The rest I will probably skip.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2272
I'm going to HAVE to see Cowboys and Aliens.
I simply can't figure out a way to Dodge it. The WIFE wants to see it, of all things! She's not into SciFi and doesn't like Westerns. What gives? Harrison Ford? I'll bet he has to be helped up to his horse.

I'll have to see it on the first weekend of release since there probably won't be a SECOND.

I see a Razzie in its future.

http://www.razzies.com/

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17067
I want to see it too but i think ill wait till it comes out on video

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2016
I forgot to add Pirates of the Caribean to the list also. I think it's coming out in May sometime

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24640
I like the series.

After all the world's oceans hold so many mysteries. We seem to find something new everyday down below.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24652
Fast Five. I have to retract my last statement. I want to see this film after seeing the trailer. No, I probably won't see it in theaters but I have to get it on DVD when it comes out. It looks too fun lol.

http://www.fastfivemovie.com/

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17082
I said he looked bigger to my friends when i saw the preview now i know why

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1204-dwayne-the-rock-johnson-bulks-up-for-fast -five

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Bulks Up for 'Fast Five'

Summer begins this Friday, according to the tagline for "Fast Five." But wrestler-turned-action star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has been getting his imposing beach body ready for some time now. A newcomer to the "Fast and Furious" franchise, Johnson bulked up his already considerable musculature by 30 pounds for the fifth entry in this series, which finds returning stars Vin Diesel and Paul Walter moving from the world of underground drag racing to rip off a crime lord's stash in Rio de Janeiro.

To bulk up for this high-octane heist flick -- not to mention his climactic onscreen brawl with Vin Diesel -- Johnson stuck to a diet and workout routine that involves weightlifting, curls and a low-carb diet. Building on the ripped biceps he sported in last year's vengeance flick "Faster," The Rock is now armed (pardon the pun) with some serious guns for this summer blockbuster.

According to screenwriter Chris Morgan, The Rock is "not a villain, but a man who will do whatever it takes [to bring in the series' outlaws]... dead or alive."

Photos: Dwayne Johnson on the red carpet >>

[Johnson then and now] Johnson then and now Everett Collection/Universal Pictures To make Johnson a threatening opponent for the famously-ripped Diesel, The Rock regained some extra muscle mass he carried in his wrestling days-weight he lost, in fact, when he made his transition to Hollywood in the first place.

Back around in 2004, closer to years he reigned as the "Scorpion King," Johnson told Men's Health how his trainer helped him cut down on his body mass for Hollywood roles by decreasing his cardio and increasing the number of particular body part-centric workouts. For much of his '00s -- which included several turns in family films -- Johnson was a slimmer muscle man. The kind you might find around your local gym.

Video: Johnson fights Diesel in 'Fast Five' >>

['The Rock' in his wrestling days] 'The Rock' in his wrestling days Everett Collection For "Fast Five," Johnson has nearly returned to his hulking size circa his WWF/E days. Focusing on his abs with weight work and a strict six-day-a-week diet (he gives himself one cheat day), The Rock has returned to a muscle mass that makes him more than a match for his very-physical onscreen showdown with Vin Diesel.

"Fast Five" opens this Friday. Watch an exclusive interview with Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel in Rio de Janeiro below.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17085
they are having a midnight showing for fast five tonight..... im going to see it

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2019
Saw Fast Five last night. By far the best movie of the series. Period.

9/10 from me. I wanna watch it again lol.

Ok, so this movie is action packed. IMO, not a second of boredem. Sexy girls and even sexier cars. Much better than i expected it would be.

My advice to those that will watch it, stick around until after the credits. You wont want to miss that :P

This is a DEFNITE addition to my list of the best movies i've seen.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24662
Nice. I'm all tingly lol.

SKD
Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1561
I concur. The Fast Five was excellent in every aspect. It was action packed constantly and also very whitty at the same time. They even used some one liners that were new to me and managed to pull off some tricks that you didn't see coming.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24670
DVD, DVD, DVD.

Upload

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17087
blu ray blu ray blu ray LOL

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2021
I can't wait till it releases, gonna be the first one to 'get' it.

Although, I recomend you watch it in theaters.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24671
The only Blu ray player I own is in my son's room (PS3) so yes, I'll wait for the DVD.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2022
Paul, the bluray player built in the PS3 is very good. Just bring it over to that projector you got (or i think that you have) and hook it up. Def kills DVD quality.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24672
Yeah well since I don't buy BR movies I told him he can put it in his room. I play it as well but I can't deny him having it in his room. In fact the only BR movie I have is the 3 pack of Inception. Scratch that, I also have one of the latest Jackazz in BR.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2023
lol...btw there is a jack@ss 3.5 now

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2297
Mr.Skullz, I'd love a PS3....even if just for the BR part of the deal.
Too bad it is made by Sony.
I've really lost it with those guys. No More Sony for me, probably ever.
And believe me, I bought one of the first 19" Trinitron TV's available in this country which lasted until you simply couldn't get (mechanical) tuner parts.

Are there ANY movies currently in theater release worth seeing?
and NOT the elephant movie. ever.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2024
I only got the ps3 because i got a real good deal on it. Paid 180 and it came with a game and BR movie. Plus it's the one with the biggest HDD.

Anyways, right now PS3 is not looking good. They were hacked and millions of people's private info, including credit cards, was concluded to be stolen. Thank God I didn't give my CC info. The playstation network is currently down, and it has been for the past 2 weeks or so.

Thor is coming out this weekend, and from what I hear, this movie is fantastic. It has gotten pretty good reviews already. I may see that this friday night.

I also saw Insidious couple of weeks back but did not review on it. Depending on your taste of horror, this movie may have taken the cake for being the most horror, suspense, suprise loaded movie that I have seen to date. IMO, it makes Paranormal looks like a kid's movie. I would definitely recommend you guys watch that either on DVD or in theaters. I also saw this movie after midnight so that may have something to add lol but overall it was a pretty unique storyline that will definitely creep you out.
I would give Insidious an 8.5/10

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17091
The movie thor is coming out tomorrow im going to see it with my buddy at 7.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24677
Buying a PS3 just for the BR player to me isn't a wise choice. What I DO like is the ability to use my PS3 as a web surfer as well. Let's face it, home entertainment and the net will soon be (if isn't already) a marriage. There will not be a video store or game stop to visit. No need to wait till Thursday to watch the movie you've been waiting for on HBO. I also believe hand helds will play a part in this somehow. They already are the world to so many people and something they can't live without.

Just today I was at lunch with a co-worker, who, during a 45 second conversation was able to check a sport score, check email, set 2 appointments and check the weather for tomorrow.

Multi tasking has taken on a COMPLETELY different meaning today thanks to technology. 20 years ago multi tasking was taking out the garbage while bringing in the recycling can lol.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17093
Thor was good. I definitely recommend it.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24689
Really? The concept of the film just threw me off as just yet another robbed super hero flick using today's advanced technology for special effects. I just get tired of Hollywood constantly digging into its' history to create new films. I want MORE. I want NEW ideas. New creative concepts and visions.

Gimmee something to think about. Expand my own mind, .....and all the rest.....................

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2031
Thor got some awesome reviews....i can't wait to check it out. Just gotta finish up with my finals and I should be good to go.

Ok so has anyone seem any of the Hannibal Lector movies? Last night I saw Red Dragon, not knowing there were parts to the movie before it and after it. I genually liked the movie but am confused as to which part I'm supposed to watch first/second/third etc... I have read that the books are ordered differently than the movies so that seems strange.

Anyways Red Dragon was a good watch. I enjoyed it, especially with the thunder and rain outside lol. Was the perfect time to watch a movie like this.

So has anyone seen the other parts to this movie? Can you possibly clear out which one I'm supposed to watch first and so on? And how are they? Worth the watch? I will probably watch them anyway cause I enjoy watching stuff like this but your insight would be good.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24732
Didn't catch that one yet. Saw of course Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. The scene where Hannibal opens up Paul Krendler's (Ray Liotta) skull, cuts and removes a portion of his brain, fries it and then feeds it to him is INSANE!

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2323
I quit after SOTL.
autocannabalism? Not for every taste.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17103
The new pirates of the Caribbean comes out tonight after midnight im going to see it.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24749
Love the series. Yet, I'll wait for the DVD release.

Before Thanksgiving? We'll see.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2033
Definitely should have it before Thanksgiving. If not, holler at me and i will upgrade that to a BR for you lol.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2359
New Pirates? I like it better than all but the 1st. Good fun for all.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2036
That's good to know. I did watch the new Pirates, heard some bad reviews about it so I saved my money. Instead, I watched Hangover 2. It was alright. Nothing like the first, meaning that I can watch the first part a gazillion times and not be tired of it.

Seems to me they tried to hard on the Hangover 2. It had some pretty good laughs here and there but was just not enough. 7/10 from me.

Hangover 3 coming soon! (I guess it Galafanakis turn to get married now)

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24797
Hangover 2 is destined to be on my shelves. Just like the pirate movies and the soon to be Avatar 2.

I'm kinda skeptical about H2 as were many. It just slammed all kinds of records at the box office though. I'm expecting a cookie cutter story from the first with a few minor differences. Still looking forward to it. What a summer for movies. Transformers, Hangover, Pirates, ect.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2037
Yea, definitely one of the better summer for movies.

Xmen is coming out this weekend. Will definitely catch that movie. Got some good reviews so far from the few critics that went to see it. Also want to watch Thor, just haven't gotten to it yet.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2362
Wife and HER sister went to see Bridesmaids.
Turns out to be a 'switcheroo' of Hangover.....
IOW, take all the guys and replace 'em with women....than change the jokes around to be girl jokes.
Same movie....different gender.

This is a very popular technique in the alledged creative end of film / movies / tv
Like 'The Bevererly Hillbillies' vs ' Green Acres'
and ,many others.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24800
First movie that came to mind after watching Hangover was Bachelor Party. Ok not a total rip off but the concept is there.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2038
Rise of Planet of the Apes - just saw the trailer for this and it looks like it's going to be a fun flick to watch. I have not seen any of the other Planet of the Apes movies so not sure what the movie is about but the way the trailer portrayed the movie, def look like its gonna be a hit.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17118
I was very disappointed in hangover 2. Thor on the other hand two thumbs up.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17119
I saw the new xmen yesterday it was very good 2 thumbs up.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17121
I just ordered rocky the undisputed collection its all the movies on bluray

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24819
So any good films anyone wanna throw out there?

Ones that stuck to your ribs from days ago.

Could be E.T., Close Encounters, Platoon, One Flew over the Cookoo's nest, Cool Hand Luke, ect, lol.

I Will always be fond of "Meet Joe Black".

It has class and style. Paired with a great cast/story.

I have my favs. Just wanna spruce this thread up a bit with some of yours.

What films impacted you and why?

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2376
Saw 'Midnight in Paris' a few days ago.
Yep, a new Woody Allen movie. But not the usual stuff. While a few of the characters are clearly Woody retreads.....the bombastic @-hole with opinions on everything artistic.....or some of the over-the-top small part characters, it is one heck of a movie.
It is a very light comedy / mainly drama / with a slight sci-fi web to it all. HINT: Know something about '20s history and 'the lost generation'.
Owen Wilson gets an 'A' for his part as does Rachael McAdams.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2041
There's a new Fright Night movie coming out. Has anyone seen the old '85 make of the movie? worth the watch?

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24830
Went a bit crazy tonight. Bought 5 movies off Amazon. Well not crazy but I have a list of films I want on DVD that I had on VHS so I decided to tackle a few. Ordered:

Career Opportunities
Godzilla
The Negotiator
One Good Cop
Phenomenon

Some are good movies and some are just fun to watch IMO. The Negotiator I found VERY interesting, as well as One Good Cop. Phenomenon is obviously a classic so it's a no brainer. The others, I just like for my own reasons lol. Total for all 5 was $35 shipped.

I haven't purchased a DVD in weeks. I was due lol.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2409
I HOPE you got the original Godzilla. OR did you get the '98 retread with Mathew Broderick and a French guy?

You know I'm prejudiced in favor of the old stuff, so I won't bust your chops, but man, I loved all that cardboard flying around and a bewildered Raymond Burr doing his part in added-on footage. He couldn't possibly have known what he signed on for.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24834
Nah I'll admit it's the remake. I grew up watching all the original Godzilla movies so when the remake came out I was interested enough to watch. Matthew is another actor I just like watching work. Obviously as Ferris he shined but I also liked him in Wargames. I always thought he should have done more on screen.

I also get them for my kids' sake. They have positively no interest at all in 60's-80's films. Not flashy enough. Not enough explosions or effects of grandeur to wow them.

Career Opportunities I got simply for Jennifer Connelly. What a sweetheart. She grabbed my heart right from Labyrinth on. Putting aside some of her racy roles and bombs (Hulk) I find her incredibly pleasing to watch.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2434
Couple of movies of note.

The Adjustment Bureau has come out on DVD/BR. I wanted to see this in theater release but simply snoozed. Well, while not a bigscreen movie, it was solid. Matt Damon and the rest of the principles gave some pretty good performances on the way to not wrecking the Philip K. Dick short story. I'd love to have a door like that in my house! Hats are back in style, too.

Saw the Scott Carpenter version of 'The Thing' on TV. I wasn't expecting much, but this was pretty good. I know I generally don't like 'remakes', but this was only the same as the original in location...the antarctic....or was that arctic? Feature monster was more awful than the original, too. Now, there is a 'prequel' coming out for summer, I think. I guess I'll be foreced to go see that one, too. The monster is NOW supposed to be a Shape Shifter.
James Arness is safely unavailable to see what they did to him after the first, 1951 take on this title.

Too bad, the kids of today are addicted to the effects stuff. some of the oldies would have you scared with sheer anticipation.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24868
The one with Kurt Russell?

It was my first version and I liked it but can't compare it since it's the only one I've seen. Then again I WAS only 11 when it came out lol.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2044
Saw Bad Teacher last night. It had a few funny parts but would not recommend watching it in theaters.

A decent comedy. 7/10

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24886
Anyone even remotely interested in the latest Transformers movie?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17131
I saw it it was slow in parts but had an excellent long fight scene at the end. Also I just bought bourne identity trilogy on blu ray for 29.99 shipped. And the rocky undisputed collection on bluray. I forget what I payed for that but it was a good deal.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17132
I saw it it was slow in parts but had an excellent long fight scene at the end. Also I just bought bourne identity trilogy on blu ray for 29.99 shipped. And the rocky undisputed collection on bluray. I forget what I payed for that but it was a good deal.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24903
You know Transformers 2 got horrible reviews but I liked it almost as much as the first. I keep scratching my head why but in the end I lose interest in the debate and move on. Transformers 3 will be on my shelves regardless.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2047
Horrible Bosses - WATCH IT!!!

Saw this movie a few nights ago and it is very funny. I say its even funnier than Hangover 2. May be one of the funnier movies I have seen this year. All 6 main actors have done a phenomenal job. I initially thought all the funny moments were probably captured in the trailer. That is definitely not true. I'd say watch it in the theaters if you can. Probably one of the better movies at the box office.

9/10 from me.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24935
Wow. I'll have to keep that in mind. It was right behind Transformers this weekend in sales too.

Which I saw BTW with my kids this past weekend lol. Why it did so good? I dunno. It was the same story, acting, effects, ect, just with a different leading female role. Hottie too but that's what they shot for. I'll buy it on DVD to complete the collection but I just hope they leave this series where it stands at 3. Effects were good and all but I always kept waiting for something different. Didn't happen.

Ecoustic's rating? 6 1/2/10 stars. Only because it's just another T2 with a different chick!

We don't need another Saw series lol.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17148
Hey i like my saw series haha.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17149
I was disappointed in hangover 2 but i watched the movie you just mentioned and I have to say its just ok honestly.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2049
You mean Horrible Bosses was OK? I guess it depends on everyone's taste in comedy. To me, it was much more unique and original than Hangover 2. I'm not saying its the best comedy ever, but it is the best comedy at the BO.
Bad Teachers was whack, Zookeeper was horrible and Mr. Poppers Penguins is a one time watchable movie.

Got tix for HP7 part 2 for tomrrow. Cant wait!! Gonna be there like 2 hours earlier just to get a good seat!

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17150
Gonna see hp when it comes out on dvd in redbox.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2442
Saw the last, I hope, of the Harry Potter series today.

Fine ending and will be a classic some day.

It even made sense, given the rest of the series.

9/10

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17151
So who did it? Was it the butler? haha

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24949
Ya know I recently read an article where they interviewed some of the cast of HP. They commented that in comparison to other hit series like Pirates and Transformers, THOSE were only made for the marketing appeal and as cash cows only. That THEIR films had originality and were so much more special than others. That's a bit hypocritical.

There have been what, 8 films in the series? Even after the 4th I kept telling myself they are running down hill with this baby. Of COURSE $$ is the motivation behind the films. Otherwise the author would have been satisfied with just the 900 page books.

Leo, you say it's the last? I say nope. Somehow, someway the writers and directors left a tiny hidden back door in the plot allowing a return. Maybe in 2 years. Maybe in 20.

Look what happened to Star Wars.

Doreen
Silver Member
Username: Djsmith

Post Number: 480
i just seen " bad teacher" with Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake

not that great 5/10

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2050
yes Bad Teachers was horrible. Not worth watching at the theaters.

Harry Potter 7 part 2 was an excellent film. Of course many things are missing from the book but you really can't expect to capture 700+ pages within 2 hours or so. It was an excellent ending.

I don't beleive there will be a continuation with the Harry Potter series. Or at least not for the next 10-20 years when there is a remake.

I give it a 9.5/10.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24966
I have to throw this out there because I'm such a nimrod lol.

I'm a big fan of the Ironman series. Love the movies. When I saw Ironman 2 for the first time I was so taken back by the beauty and mystique of the woman portraying Natalie Rushman. I just......had no idea this beauty was being played by Scarlett Johansson. She just blew me away and I didn't recognize her.

Now, I liked her acting in the The Horse Whisperer, and even Lost in Translation, but I can't fathom why I didn't realize she was the super hot, extremely able agent in Ironman 2 until I saw the credits.

I thought she was a newly undiscovered actress lol.

She is hot in the movie BTW.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17156
I just got pitch black and chronicals of rididick on bluray and the new star trek........if you havent seen the new star trek paul please do its very well done

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17157
I just got some more blu rays taking of phelm 123 aeon flux and avatar 27 dollars shipped

also got the bourne trilogy on blu ray for 29.99 shipped a little while back
casino royale on blu ray for 7.28 shipped

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24972
Yeah I have the latest Star Trek. It's good.

Riddick i have as well. Son likes the series.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2443
Paul,
If you look at StarWars in comparo to HP, you'll see that Star Wars started on Episode #4, the 'middle'. It was originally planned as a 9 movie serial, like the old days, only feature length. 7,8+9? Probably never get made, at least by Lucas. It may be out there, but I don't know what he had planned for the last 3 movies except that the Jedi woulld stage a big comeback and restore the republic.
The ONLY characters to be in all 9 movies? R2D2 and C3PO.

Will there be another HP movie? Maybe in a few years. Evil never sleeps, you know! Once the check clears for the current movie, I'm sure JK will be hard at work. Very few are lucky enough to simply be given a license to print money.

Me? I'm waiting for 'The Hobbit', prequil to LOTR trilogy.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24975
Not too uncommon from the Twilight series. So many housewives and teenage girls are just mesmerized by the story. You have all the ingredients to hypnotize both ages. Good vs evil (both good and evil portrayed by handsome young men), classic misunderstood, distraught girl desperate to fight society and its' norms, film endings that define a cliffhanger and a setting in a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone.

Add vampire to the plot and collect your loot.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2474
Saw Unknown tonight. Good stuff, lots of fun and enjoyed the ride.
I'll NEVER ride in a German taxi.....EVER.

Source Code appeared, too. A nice parallel univers / quantum plotted adventure / love story with a good, happy ending. I may never ride the train again, either.

Good additions to the collection........

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24992
Took my daughter to see Smurfs this past weekend.

Ok why did I post this in the "Great movie thread"?????

Because SHE loved it. That's enough for me.

Daddy couldn't wait for the ending however lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17165
haha

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24996

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2482
Just bought a pair of movies.

Bob Hope....in My Favorite Brunette. I doubt the modern viewer would like this. Too bad. Hope was very funny in this spy/ mystery spoof. Also has Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney jr, with Bing and Allen Ladd in brief cameos. Too bad this stuff so out of style. Very entertaining with Hope in fine form. At the UltraBargain price of 3$, I couldn't refuse. Did I mention the costar was Dorothy Lamour? pretty hot looking.

Lone Star. This is a pretty tough bit of film. A modern sheriff in the SouthWest starts digging into the towns past after the discovery of a body....and his fathers' (former sheriff) complicity. This is at least 8/10 and found in the 10$ bin, a pretty good deal.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2490
Saw 'Horrible Bosses' yesterday.

Strangers On A Train or maybe Throw Mama From The Train meets the Three Stooges.

Funny, awful in spots and good rental material. Glad I saw it in theater release, though. My brother popped for tickets but got tight when it came time for the popcorn. What's up with THAT? I mean, who the heck treats somebody to a MOVIE than gets tight with the popcorn? Isn't there a rule against that?

I think Jennifer melted my White Sears Briefs.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25000
Especially when concessions are the pricey part!

Popcorn by the pound is by far the most over priced item they sell. Literally 1000+% mark up of cost.

It's almost as bad as bottled water. I buy cases of 20oz bottles that run me about $.16/bottle. That's $.008/oz.

That same bottle of water at a park is $2. That's $.10/oz. That equals about 12 1/2 times cost!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17167
I went to see the new planet of the apes it wasnt too bad. I also bought limitless on blu ray for 18 bucks.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25029
Apes seems interesting to me. I'd buy it on dvd.

Which I haven't done in months. Wow. I can only imagine what the $5 bins are filed with.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2537
The Wife is dragging me to see 'Cowboys and Aliens'. Wish me luck!

Is this gonna be on the Razzie list this year?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25055
Should be better than Alien Vs Predator!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2059
keep us updated!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2539
Having few expectations....after all, Harrison Ford must be near-70 and doing an ACTION role, I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd even go so far as to give it 7 1/2 or 8 points on the Ecoustics 10-point scale. I may buy this on DVD when it gets <9$. I'm broke these days, so that would be a biggie.

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT:
Aliens are ALIEN, but still interested in something humans have valued since the dawn of time. Evil little buggers, too. Fast, strong and bullet resistant. They have a unique biological adaptation which is also a source of potential weakness. You'll see!
Title of movie SHOULD have been 'Cowboys and Indians vs Aliens', but that is cumbersome and derivitive at the same time.
Ford is good. and pretty much sticks to the mean old man routine, self made and Civil War vet. His son (bio) is worthless and you wish he'd get shot......immediately. The OTHER son? An 'adopted' indian is a good but stereotyped character who has a pretictable end. sob sob. The Hero? Danial Craig does a great job with the 'silent stranger' routine, but wams up as the movie continues. The Babe? WOW, what a Babe? I won't spoil THAT surprise, but later, I've got some real QUESTIONS about how she learned THAT.
NO alien leadership shown, and the space ship inside is like a cross between Stargate Atlantis, a mole burrow and a Borg ship. all tubey.

Clearly made to a budget, it kept my interest and even provided a few (unintended) laughs. I can't issue a money back guarantee with this movie, but I'm sure you'll like it...and YES it was much better than that Churro, 'Alien vs Preditor'.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us