Movie night

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15231
tonight im going to watch Babylon ad and jumper on blu ray ....makes for an entertaining night

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23447
Opening night for the NFL for me.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1580
What's NFL?

Go Bears!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15234
die hard 1 and 2 tonight

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23452
Saw Aviator tonight again. Just cause I guess.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1197
Watched Bruno for the first time tonight.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23457
Like it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15245
that movie wasnt for me but yeah how did you like it

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1198
It was alright. Funny, just like Borat was, but I found Borat it be a lot better movie. I'd give it like a 6/10.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23458
Borat did almost nothing for me. I did laugh a bit at the hotel room scene with the fat guy but the humor was just a bit dry for me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15248
like I said it wasnt my speed but im glad you got a few laughs

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15251
I just picked up 310 to yuma new at best buy for $8 on blu ray so thats what im watching tonight

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23466
Started War of the Worlds last night.

Again.

Not too many fireworks going off here.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1817
Tom Cruise one? or Gene Barrys?

I liked Cruise's WOTWs. Many people gave it bad reviews but i have seen it several times and enjoyed it equally

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23468
Yes the new one. I like the movie but it's not one you watch over and over again with the same results.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1586
3:10 to Yuma is an interesting remake with many scenes stolen from the original. The wagon wheel off the edge? direct copy.

I kind of like the 'new' WOTW, too. The Gene Barry 'original' was a little hacked. And I'm not, I admit, much of a TC fan. He's too 'ain't i cool, big smile, cute' for me. But the TC performance was good in this flick. On the 'Leonard Maltin' scale, I give the original 2 stars and the remake 2 1/2 stars. Neither pins the needle. Maltin gives the original 3 1/2 stars and the 'remake' gets 2 1/2 stars, so I guess we disagree.
I'll admit to usually being prejudiced in FAVOR of the original of many of the remakes.
I'm not much of a LeoDi fan, either, but some of his efforts are certainly worthy.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23471
Saw "The Terminal" tonight.

Obviously again. I enjoy every one of Tom Hanks' movies and this is no exception. I just wish the film ended with the romantic "boy gets girl" hook. Oh well.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1590
Tom Hanks is the modern Jimmy Stewart. Everything HE touched turned to gold, too.

boy gets girl would have been too.... predictable, maybe?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1596
Bergman's 'The Virgin Spring' was on last nite. 1960::

Excellent movie with great performances throughout.

For any 'heavy duty' movie fan, this is a must.

DO NOT ever miss even the first 30 seconds of a Bergman movie.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23480
Back from the $5 bins at Walmart. Picked up the 3-pack of Saw movies, The Brothers Mcmullen and a B movie for kicks........Mega Shark Vs. Octopus!

Lol. The last one should be a riot.

I've never seen any of the Saw movies and just wanted to see what the hype was all about. The Brothers Mcmullen because it was an award winner and simply looked like a movie I'm in the mood for.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23482
Lol. Ok, besides seeing former pop sensation from my time (Debbie Gibson) on the screen, Mega Shark was as expected. Positively horrible special effects that are not only mundane but redundant as well. Seems they continuously used the same clips of the shark and octopus throughout the movie. Even though it was made in 2009 the film looks like a project from the late 80's. It's that bad. I continue to buy these movies for some deep, underlying gut feeling that I might actually pick up a sleeper. Not today!

Leave this one in the bins where it belongs lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23485
Man I have got to get new DVD players. I'm having trouble with almost all of them. At first it was with Avatar, now it's with Saw as well. My players all cut out and freeze. Even my Windows media player on my PC. Yet my portable player runs all movies fine. I have Phillips, RCA and Truetech players and they all crap out on me lol.

Time to buy some new equipment.........................

Crap.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23486
Crap now even my portable is freezing. In today's world of advanced tech I expect more.

Anyone here seen Saw who can tell me how it ends?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15268
I saw all the saws up to date but im not going to ruin the ending for you its better if you wait and see it yourself but trust me the ending is good.....I have a Denon DVD 1940CI DVD player new in the box I was going to sell you interested

* HDMI Interface
* 1080p scaling output
* Faroudja I/P scaler
* RS-232 interface
* SACD/DVD-A Playback
# Audio Output Mode: Surround Sound
# Surround Sound Effects: Virtual Surround Mode
# Form Factor: Tabletop
# Built In Decoder: Dolby Digital, DTS decoder

The DVD-1940CI offers increased performance with scaling up to 1080p resolution from its HDMI video port. Improvements in decoding have been added with DiVX Ultra processing for smoother video delivery. For the do it yourself homeowner and for the custom installer, basic and advanced connections have been provided making hookup and setup a snap to almost any ;A/V system. The Faroudja Fi2301 video engine provides outstanding video capabilities with its DCDi circuitry reproducing true to life image detail matched to superb audio circuitry for an outstanding home theater experience.performance and ease of use. The HDMI v1.1 compatible video port will allow for connection to today's high end displays and provides scaling to 1080p. In addition, the DVD-1740 incorporates a 12 bit 108 MHz video processor for stellar video performance bringing out still and motion image quality to the highest level

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23489
Thanks Sean but DVD players are really about a dime a dozen these days. I can pick up a new state of the art player for under $100. I'm guessing that Denon cost you more than that. And I did end up seeing the rest of Saw, the best I could I suppose. As always another cliff hanger that leads to the inevitable sequel lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15269
i was going to sell it to you for 100 plus shipping a fair price the going cost is 274 from what i saw

heck if you dont want it i may break it out of the box and use it since i see what it can do

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23490
You're better off doing that then. Get some use out of it.

I'm probably going to just go and get a pair or two of $60 players that will do the job for me. Nothing high end.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15272
cool no problem

Username: Denial

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 2
I have watched both Babylon ad and jumper, both are nice movies. Babylon AD is little bit more entertaining then Jumper, i think. And tonight i will go for resident evil 4.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15309
sweet let us know how resident evil four is but dont spoil it ha

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23511
Saw Saw 2 tonight lol.

I must say I thought it was better than the first. I agree with the common opinion that they all have the same plot and get old pretty quick. Not sure if I want to dive into Saw 3 just yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15361
i saw you saw saw 3 are you up to 4 yet?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23567
Don't have the 4th on up. Not quite sure I wanna buy the rest lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15397
well you can rent it cheap somewhere i hope

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23591
So I was at the Walmart today picking up a 22 quart stainless steel cooking pot ($60....ouch) for my newest venture into home beer brewing and wandered into the movie section (like that never happens) and picked up "The men who stare at goats".

Any feedback from any who have seen it? I had been avoiding it for my own subtle reasons but fell to my spontaneous nature and bought it. It was ok/good but not anywhere near what I thought is was going to be. Very nice group of actors and an overall good message but just didn't hit the spot for me.

Throw it out there if you've seen it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1661
I enjoyed 'Men Who Stare At Goats'......But than I could never resist a movie with hippies in the military.....and doing major drugs, no less.

What kind of brewing do you do, Paul?
I've got to get to the local brew store for some malt / hops / yeast. It's cooling off now, and I can easily maintain 70f, which I find perfect for Ales.
I don't know why, but I've never brewed to a style, and alway make something with honey and wheat. yum yum. And and OG of at least 1075.....

Are you all grain or a malt guy? To a style or wing it? Do you bottle or have a fridge and bright tank system?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23596
It's all new to me Leo (brewing, not consumption lol). I started off with an American light ale kit. I'll be boiling the water today after my daughter's soccer game. After I get a few batches under my belt I'll try different ingredients and such. I did buy an extra pilsen light malt pack to add to increase the alcohol content a tad.

Now that I have the equipment and such from here on out all I need is the ingredients. I have to get to the store and pick up long neck bottles yet though. Down the road I might buy the keg and store it that way. I have a full bar so the swap in my meister would be easy.

As with most I didn't decide to brew for the cost, since it's almost a wash but rather to control the taste and/or the ABV.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1667
Next trip to Amazon or a regular bookstore, get the book by Charlie Papazian. Best, real guide for the homebrewer available.

I never got past being a malt brewer. Simply works too well. You may want to investigate adding some non-fermentable grain. I usually use a LITTLE Chocolate malt....very dark roasted and almost bitter or some of the light grains. One of the 'crystal' malts.
http://www.thehomebrewery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=THB&C ategory_Code=SPGRAIN
Anything from this page is fair game. Flavor / Color only, and not fermentable.

As for bottles? Are you up for a dumpster dive? I went to a local Japanese Restaurant and got all the Kirin Warclubs I could fit in my car.....than spent a couple hours cleaning them in a bathtub followed by normal sanitization. My dishwasher has a hot rinse only cycle which works wonders. The bottles, neck down, come out nearly too hot to touch. I love the 22oz size since a normal 5 gallon batch will yield nearly 30 bottles......1 large cooler FULL.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23599
Yeah I'm having trouble finding bottles. Every store around only sells the twist off bottles. I guess I'll have to find a beer distributor. Like you said the larger the bottle the better. 20-22 oz would work great. My beer brewing store sells the caps cheap as heck, something like 150 for $5. Not long ago I remember being able to buy the long necks you find in bars and such. I simply hate the thought of flat out buying bottles.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15498
uh oh someones going to be drinking more beer. Keep it reasonable we dont want a beer gut.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23605

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15514
can you ship some id like to try some of what you make Id pay you whatever you need of course

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1670
Every batch is different...even if you try to make them the same, you can't. commercial brewers, even the micros...spend a lot of time and money so they CAN make the same beer over and over.

Paul, make a run to the nearest restaurant which serves real beer in bottles. I've got about 50 of the warclubs....22oz, you're right. So I can have 2 batches bottles at a time. That is a LOT of work and it is tough finding a volunteer to sit thru hours of cooking till you get to the fermenter, than show up again in a couple weeks for a bottling.
You save about ZERO, too. Cost of malt? Cost of Hops? Yeast? it all adds up fast. MY cost is nearly 2$ per bottle.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23612
Wow that's expensive. The kits I can get around here run about $35-$60. So for the 53 bottles I get out of a batch that's about $.66/beer. Now I did buy the extra malt and that of course doesn't include the investment in the equipment. The one thing I will need to replace is the siphon they give you. It absolutely sucks. Even after priming it, it didn't work for me. Turns out the water I primed it with was lighter than the beer so it didn't have the weight to start the siphon action. I'll look into a hand pump starter.

Oh, and I did find a distributor/local vendor who sells these bottles. He doesn't open till Thursday so I'll see what he has. The larger the better lol. I could even use 32 oz bottles if he has them. I went today to one of largest liquor stores (Canal's) and even they told me they stopped selling returnable bottled beer years ago. Sure I could always buy those exotic beers you see at $5/beer for the bottle but I'm not THAT thick lol.

Sean, after fermenting I need to refrigerate according to the instructions so I don't know what would happen to the beer should it get warm again in shipment. These beers don't have preservatives in them like shelf beer. Then again I could be wrong, I'm a rookie at this.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15521
Sean, after fermenting I need to refrigerate according to the instructions so I don't know what would happen to the beer should it get warm again in shipment. These beers don't have preservatives in them like shelf beer. Then again I could be wrong, I'm a rookie at this.

ok ill pass then. It was a good thought though.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23624
Well I have Chad as a friend on FB and it looks like I got him all revved up for it too lol. Another home brewer FTW.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1672
Paul, I use 6 or 7 lb of at least 2 different kinds of malt. I toss in some honey and some wheat malt. I use chocolate malt and some crystal malts....non fermentable, but good for color, texture, mouth feel and some bitterness.
My OG runs 1075 or sometimes higher. I had a batch of what must have started as a Russian Stout of OG 10.95 which ended up around 1015 or so, which means HUGE alcohol content. I'll never do THAT again!
When I brew, it is alway ale. Temp never drops below about 65f and NEVER above about 72 or so. I like on the cool side, even if fermentation takes longer. Sound like you are a Lager guy. I'd be tempted if I lived somewhere with a cold winter. Maybe out in the mud room or summer porch it'd stay below 40 or so for lager.

I'd suggest forgetting the 'kits'. Just buy what you need. Malt, hops, 'adjuncts' and keep stores of caps and some bottling sugar.

My beer stays at whatever temp the garage is. I don't cool the beer at all AFTER bottling unless it gets WARM. Than I start rotating some of those blue ice things thru the closed cooler to keep it from going above say....mid 70s. The cooler is good enough for hot days and if it drops pretty good at night, I'll open it for extra cooling.

Never......never....had a batch go weird on me. Bottled beer has lasted months in that fashion.

Sanitization is critical to it lasting well.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23625
"Sanitization is critical to it lasting well."

A very strong point emphasized by all guides. Bacteria of any kind will deem your brew null and void.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1676
And make it glow great colors under a UV lamp.

I am near-obsessive about sanitization when brewing. NO wooden anything. Rinse my fermenter until all odor of bleach is gone. Store sanitized bottles neck down in dishwasher, which has also been sanitized. I use 5 gal glass for fermenter and don't rack over in mid-ferment. I bottle straight from that....and end up with about a quart of brewers yeast goo on the bottom.

Ever tried your hand at Mead?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23626
Mead? Not sure what that is.

I do have a 5 gal carboy I plan on using half way through my fermentation to reduce any solids that may have made it to my fermenter. I'm anxious to see the clarity as it sets. For now my son likes watching the bubbling of the relief valve lol.

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23633
Transferred beer to the carboy tonight. Tomorrow I'm off to seek bottles. Maybe Sunday/Monday I'll be filling them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15533
almost there paul

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23642
Yuuuup. Lol. The first taste is going to be crucial. It dictates weather I continue to brew or buy beer.

Ultimately I will do both. I knew that from the start. I just wanted to try this hobby and learn from it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1677
Mead is basically honey beer. Think Viking.

Paul, I don't do the rackoff to a 2nd fermenter. Seems a waste. Besides, everything eventually settles. A couple weeks after bottling, you'll have a film of yeast as the bottom of your bottles.
Also, as you pour from the cookpot to the fermenter, use a funnel with a filter. I 'bag' my hops so they are easy to fish out and / or rinse with hot water to claim more of the hop goodness (sparging). You can 'cold hop', too, just adding hops to the fermenter. Seems like a clog waiting to happen.

When I bottle, I use a bottling 'cane' which holds the suction side about an inch or so off the bottom, so the yeasty boys remain where they are. don't agitate the fermenter before bottling will keep that junk on the bottom, where it belongs.

You'll also have more drop in dead beats looking for free beer than you'll believe. Put 'em to work. Even yard work or painting will discourage most. I probably end up drinking about 1/3 of whatever I brew.

Now that winter is approaching, time to give this some thought. If my bunyun senses a cold snap coming, I may try a Lager. I've got enough time to get something together for Christmas, too. That'd be nice.....a Cherry Lambic or other traditional brew. Anybody up for helping me pit 5lb of cherries?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23647
Lol sounds fun.

When I transferred my beer into my carboy I used the spout on the fermenter with a vinyl hose. Worked well, much better than that god forsaken device they give you to siphon the beer out of the brew pot. It flat out doesn't work, even when primed.

It's only been 4 days since brewing but I'm still waiting for the beer to clear. It still has the cider look. Muddy and cloudy. I'm assuming it will clear in the next 3-4 days?

I'll be off to the farmer's mart tomorrow or Saturday for bottles. Today was a rainy mess. There's a vendor there inside who sells beer brewing and wine supplies. I'm hoping he has 22oz or larger bottles. We'll see.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1682
Paul,
couple questions.
What was the OG? What is the gravity NOW? Has it bottomed out? 4 days isn't very long. Give it a week. After fermentation stops give it another couple days. You CAN wait too long, but not likely. It is vaguely possible that fermentation is STUCK. That is....you start with an OG of say....1055, not bad. If it won't go below 1020 it may be stuck. You'd better read up on that. Basically, Original Gravity-Final Gravity x 1.05 should give you ABW. See link for calculator, but learn to do it yourself. Multiply by some correction for ABV.
http://www.brewheads.com/stats.php

What kind of yeast did you use? There are probably 30 different kinds of yeast. If it NEVER clears you may have used Hefeweitzen Yeast, which will not floculate....settle to bottom. Even if it isn't perfectly clear, once the gravity bottoms, give it a couple days and bottle.....w/sugar. It'll have a brief fermentation, make the bubbles and kill the yeast, which can't take the pressure. THAN it better clear. Be sure to leave some air space at the top. Too much? BANG. Too little? marginal 2nd fermentation. You DID aeriate the Wort PRIOR to pitching the yeast, right?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23652
My OG was 1040 or in that range. I haven't checked the gravity since prior to adding the yeast but will do so before priming with sugar. Not sure what yeast came with the kit. After my wort came down into a proper temperature range (65-80) I siphoned it into my primary fermenter, which I'm assuming aerated it? Not sure how else you would. Naturally I stirred the yeast into the wort sufficiently. I followed the instruction to the T. Everything appears to be going well. I know fermentation hasn't stopped yet because the relief valve is still bubbling, just not as violent as the first day after adding the yeast of course. I'll wait until that happens and check the FG then, before priming/bottling.

I'm just anxious I guess, and a bit nervous. I know after my 20th batch this will all seem elementary to say the least but for right now I'm taking baby steps and ooooing and awwing all the way lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1685
An OG of 1040 should end up in the 1010 or perhaps less range. It will be a low alcohol beer.....what I call 'lawnmowing' beer. If you used all grains....no corn or rice or extra sugar, it should provide a nice taste. Some Crystal malt or Chocolate malt will provide some color, mouth feel and in the case of the Chocolate, some bitterness which won't be confused with the bitterness provided by Hops....my favorite of which is Fuggles, a traditional English Ale hop.
I brewed one up one time....I called it 'Kitchen Sink'.....I tossed in all the grains and malts I could lay my hands on. It was Jet Black and during fermentation pretty much erupted for a week. I didn't think it would ever stop fermenting......I Do Not use a 'fermentation lock'.
I use a cap over the bottle end. It's got a 1/2" and a 5/8" protrusion sticking out, so I just attach sanitized hoses and stick 'em in a bucked of water.
By your own stuff and forget the kit. I use mostly White Labs #1 'California Ale Yeast'....But I've also had great results with #300, Hefeweitzen yeast.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST

Short of poor sanitization, you CAN DO NOTHING WRONG......

SOME people aerate using a fish tank air pump and a 'stone'. I have a special (magic?) long handled spoon that I use. I also go thru 20lb of ICE cooling my wort down to under 85f as quickly as possible. I stick the entire bucket in the sink. Be careful here. I have another couple gallons of cold water......So If I put 80f wort in the fermenter, I simply add a couple gallons of chilled water and you are at temp.

Have I mentioned the Papazian book in the last couple posts?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23655
Lol yeah I think so. Well I did cool the wort down rapidly in my kitchen sink with ice water. Changed it twice too. Even then though it took a good 45 minutes to get down to the right temp. The guy who sold me everything suggested I add some pilsner malt to the kit when it called for the DME. He said it would raise the ABV by as much as .75-1%. After this and possibly another batch I'll take your suggestions and try the high road with ingredients. Fresh hops as opposed to the pellets too. You'll have to remember I prefer light beer (color, not ABV) so I'd appreciate steering me away from anything that I can't see daylight through lol.

Did find the bottles. I found a place that sells ALL kinds of equipment and supplies. Walls of ingredients and loads of gear. I picked up 22oz bottles. They did have 64oz bottles but require much larger caps. Now I have to sanitize them and get them ready. I also picked up another siphon and a sampler tube to drop my hydrometer into, making it easier to test my gravity.

I tell ya, with all that's out there this can set a man back in the wallet haha.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15567
Oh yeah paul got his bottles!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23676
Still fermenting though which means another couple of days before bottling. I have to wait at least 48 hours after the bubbling stops. Which means probably mid week?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1693
Don't forget to give it a taste from the last sample for gravity before you bottle. I can't tell what the final will taste like from that sip, but others with more experience MAY.

Next experiment for me may be Barley Wine. Buddy made some several years ago and it was delicious. Hide your car keys before imbibing.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23680
Not sure if you saw the thread in home audio David started on food. It got deleted of course. Anyway here's a pic of my beer as of yesterday if you haven't. I get more and more anxious lol.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15604
Looking good

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23713
Leo, brew master lol, I have a question. It's been 10 days since fermentation began. Directions state 6-8 days before bottling is normal. My brew is still bubbling. MUCH slower than day one of course but I'm also supposed to wait 48 hrs after the last sign of any bubbling before I can safely bottle. This is going to push it into this weekend, making it 14 days, not 6-8. Is this normal? Am I just overly cautious?

Tomorrow I'm going to buy more bottles and possibly another kit to start my 2nd batch.

It's getting addicting and I haven't even tried my first batch yet lol.

Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1713
DO NOT PANIC. Once the yeast started making alcohol, you were pretty much officially 'ahead' of the microbes and bad stuff which could ruin your batch. 14 days is not too long.
I'd say about right. I've gone longer, but started with so much sugar (OG near 1100) that I was amazed.

Don't break the seal, just yet. Wait for it to STOP bubbling and take a gravity reading. Use a sanitized turkey baster to draw a sample. DISCARD SAMPLE......have a swig, if you want. Yummy? Not usually. Record the value. Draw an additional sample in 24 hours and if it has not dropped further, you are probably OK to bottle.

My method for bottles? I have mechanically clean bottles. No dirt, debris or even labels. I wash 'em out in hot water. Than, I sanitize in a bleach solution. I put them in my DISHWASHER which has run a short wash with the hottest dry....or now that I've got a new one, the STEAM dry cycle. Put the bottle in, neck down and run another steam / wash cycle. Don't open the washer until you are ready to bottle. The bottle will come out toasty and ready to bottle. Have your priming sugar already installed (what is formula? like 3/4cup corn sugar in a quart of boiling water?) than let it sit for a half hour. Crack the dishwasher and bottle your hearts content. Have your caps sanitized and the capper ADJUSTED to the correct height. All tubing, and 'stuff' that touches beer should be ready to go.
I ALSO have a bottle wash valve which screws onto my kitchen faucet. Run water till screaming hot, unscrew filter and put this guy on. I use it to rinse out bottles between sanitizer solution and the dishwasher.

Be calm. Have a beer. Watch a movie. 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' would do. Kids of all ages love it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23716
Thanks. I did run my bottles through my dishwasher and used the heated dry cycle also. Steam oozed out the door lol. Will have to run the ones I'm picking up tonight as well. The caps are in a sealed bag from the kit. I also purchased a sampler to make it easier to draw beer for a gravity reading. I'll be sure to let you know what it is.

The kit came with a 5oz bag of priming sugar that will dissolve into 2 cups of boiling water.

I also got a good tip on rinsing the bottles immediately after consuming for the next brew. This will reduce any dried deposits accumulating a make sanitizing them easier. Makes sense. I'm also going to use a mild bleach solution to clean my glass carboy after bottling. I expect to start my brewing for my 2nd batch this weekend. I will see what kits the brewing store has when I go.

Well my son and I are off! Want to get back before the Philly game comes on.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23717
Picked up a pale ale beer this time around. It's called Kolsch. The malt is a grain on this beer along side some wheat malt extract. Haven't read any of the directions yet but it can't be that much different than the American light.

We're still bubbling so it might be next week with my next batch. We'll see.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15638
I just got a new blu ray movie for 10 bucks "inside man" with denzel washington clive owen and jodie foster

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23722
It's amazing how fast even blu ray movies have come down.

Then again I remember when VCR's came out at $700+. Heck my first DVD player was $300 and it had like no features.

Who here still has a laser disc? You know, those oversized CD looking contraptions for movies lol?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15640
my brother used to have one many years back

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1718
First VCR I ever saw was a TOP LOADER RCA which had a mechanical tuner (I think) A '1 event' timer. It might have been 2-speeds and certainly not 3. It weighed a bunch, had NO remote and new retail was about a grand. When my buddy bought it, he got the service manual, too. 800 or 1000 technical pages and procedures. It was over a decade before I got one of my own.

My GF later bought a VCR with a remote....on the end of 20' of cable!
When I got married, mid '80s, my wife's mother still had her laser disk. Great picture, too, from LP size discs.
MY first DVD player was a Panasonic which was OK, I guess. Gave it to Sis-in-law who still uses it. Amazing.
I still have my FIRST CD player, too. A Magnevox....built by Philips as an FD-1000. 14bit toploader. Anybody got a laser?
Unless you're an ancient, like me, you simply don't know how easy you've got it! Get up every 25' or so to flip a record! Want to see a movie? Where's the paper?

Paul, pour the yeast goo out on the lawn. It's good fertilizer. Rinse / power dry your bottles in the dishwasher immediately B4 bottling. Don't let 'em stand around.
Otherwise, sounds like you've got it covered.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1874
Oh Gawd, i remember my first DVD player. Also close to $300 lol. It was 'special' because it was one of the few that had progressive scan. It was some panasonic one.

BTW, i am in need of a VCR. I have gone through many and they ALL have broken within months of use. I only had one VCR that took years to go on me. Can you recommend a good VCR that is around the $50 mark? lol i know thats probably a low budget but if there is something thats a must have and its a little higher than that, i will shed out the money.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23726
Skullz the only VCRs I still see are the dual DVD/VCR player recorders. They would have to be available somewhere still, even though the tech is just about met its' death. Like audio cassettes. I remember buying blank ones in bulk just to record music off radio. Ahhhh, and they HAD to be the clear kind, any other type was considered cheap lol. Then Sony revolutionized the industry with the walkman. What??!! I have 60 minutes of portable, personal music anywhere I go for only $100??!!! Sign me up!

Like when the short lived car phone was born. I remember seeing an ad for one in an old issue of Playboy in the late 70's. "Only $2000 and $6/minute"!! Woooow! Gotta love the times.

Firsts:

Stereo: Sears LXI rack. 100w per channel. Single cd player. Turntable and dual cassette (of course). Like $800 in 1988.

VCR: Panasonic 4 head. $400. Well it did have VCR+!

DVD player: RCA. I'm thinking in 2000. $300. Father's day gift. Still works. First DVD movie purchased was "The Perfect Storm". I was AMAZED at the clarity and features lol.

I remember my folks renting a VCR from the library for like $25/day back in the early 80's. It WAS better than sliced bread.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1721
Skullz,
Went by Wally-Mart today.
They have VCR / CD recorder combos. Can't remember the price, but the CD recorder combo? Might not be a bad deal and you can archive TV, not rely on TIVO. I don't know if those discs, even 'finalized' will play in your universal player...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23736
I HAVE to put my $.02 in here. I bought a 2nd rate DVD recorder in hopes of saving some $$ in transferring my collection on VHS to DVD properly. I spent like $100 on a Trutech POS recorder and every transfer I tried didn't play on any of my players. It was a complete bust. I had tried wedding vids, first home vids, bar projects, ect. All my DVDs came out like crap. Naturally I wanted to save the moments caught on tape from my camcorders to digital format but somehow the "equipment" I bought was worth MUCH less than I paid for it.

Yet another lesson learned the hard way.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15651
haha yeah trutech is cheap

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1884
Thanks Leo, the problem is that I'm in NY and there really aren't many Walmarts here. I know of one only and that is about half hour drive. I'm looking around ebay, maybe find a decent one for good price.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23762
What? I was in Albany and there was a Walmart there.

Crap, aren't they everywhere lol?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1886
Rarely any in NYC. The state overall probably has a lot but they aren't building in NYC like all other places. I only know of 1 which isn't too close to me (by queens area). Last Black Friday, a Wal-mart worker was killed from a shopping stampede at this location....pretty crazy folks down here

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1738
See what you're missing?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1890
LOL

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1270
I rented the new Robin Hood movie the other night. I actually liked it a lot and thought Russell Crowe did a great job. I remember it getting kind of poor reviews when it came out but I liked it. If you're into the old midevil time period I think youll like it. What makes it different is that is explains the story of robin hood up until the story we all know. It shows where he came from and why king john is so hated.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23771
Today's reading from my hydrometer shows me a FG of 1.01. With my OG and using the formulas I have a beer in the 4.6% ABV range. Hoping for a tad higher but I'll take it. Man does it smell good too! Looking to bottle tonight or tomorrow.

After I pour my first beer I'll be sure to snap a pic of it for reference and post it here.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1745
1010 is about right......IF it doesn't drop any more in say 24 hours, go ahead and bottle.
Give it a couple weeks to ferment again to make those nice bubbles than chill one down and try it.
Do indeed post pics, results and a 'taste test' review.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23772
Yeah I held off bottling yesterday. I just want to be sure with my first batch. I've been reading up and my best bet is to keep taking gravity readings until I get no variance in 2 consecutive days, then bottle. I'll gauge it tonight and if it's still 1.01 then I'll pull the trigger. I want to brew my 2nd batch this weekend. The hydrometer is the best tool because I've read that proper fermentation ranges from 8 days to possibly months.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1752
Good, you are on track.
Some people like to 'over pitch'...that is, put in 2x or more yeast than you ordinarily would. This gets fermentation off to a quick start and may lessen time to bottle.

Also, and this is a more advanced technique, some brewers will begin to culture their own yeast. The yeast now in your fermenter is subtly different then what went in. Conditions favored certain....adaptations, if you will. This new sub-strain will get better with time.
I've not done my own yeast culture, yet. You've got to be REALLY clean to pull that one off.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23785
Well I'm bottling tonight. My gravity is stable at 1.00! According to my gorilla math that puts it at almost 6% ABV. The reading was juuuust under the wine mark on my hydrometer. 21 days of fermenting I guess will do that. 2nd brew starts tomorrow after I sanitize everything. Transferring the beer into my bottling bucket shows a nicely clear and consistent color, a tad darker than I wanted but a nice tone either way. I'll post a pic after bottling to show a sample. I'm off!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23786
All done. I was a bit disappointed at the yield I got but no worries. I filled 25 1/2 22oz bottles which is equal to about 47 beers, not 53 as the kit states. I suppose I lost some between transfers in fermentation containers and average waste in bottling. I'm ok with it though. Due to the larger size of my bottles I did leave a little extra space from the top when bottling for natural carbonation from the priming sugars I added. Last thing I want is bursting bottles. I'm also confident that the beer will clear a bit more in the next 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1756
Not to worry,
The color looks terrific. You WILL enjoy this and from now on, officially have yet Another 'money sink hobby'. r-d-r-r (pirate talk!)

Fermented out 'thinner' than I'm used to, so you will have some new data for me. Lowest I ever got was about 10.07 or so. BUT, I always started from a very high OG and use lots of non-fermentables.

BTW, your yield was just a LITTLE low. I usually get 1 or 2 bottles MORE than you got, and have a 12oz'er ready for that last, odd bit.
I also use a pretty huge cooler for storage. It keeps the light off 'em and also helps stabilize the temperature. In warm summers, I'll toss a blue ice or 3 on top and rotate 'em thru....I try to keep the storage below 70f....which is not a problem except in the hottest of summers where I'll resort to the blue ice thing. I think the cooler will hold up to 30 bottle.....a rows of 8/7/8/7 tightly packed.
I also skip all that transferring around nonsense (IMO) since it all settles down anyway and I've never had the odd bit of hops or ???? floating around. It all tastes good to me!

Congrats and welcome to the club of people who have friends they never knew existed.

WARNING.
DO NOT GIVE ANY AWAY WITHOUT A BOTTLE DEPOSIT. YOUR BOTTLES WILL GROW LEGS......NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23790
Lol thanks! Yeah I will enjoy my next venture in customizing my recipe, when I get a few batches under my belt. After all I don't know what this one tastes like yet lol. Smells good though.

And for the bottles, if ya want to taste my beer, you do it inside my house lol. I prefer pouring my beer into glasses, it flows better that way.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15691
I'll be right over for a beer Paul!!!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23793
Just brewed my 2nd batch (Kolsch). This one used loose malt inside the mesh bag to produce the preliminary wort. I also added an additional 1lb of DME to the 2lbs the kits came with. Produced a VERY thick trub on the bottom of my brewing pot after it cooled. Color is different than my first batch also. Darker with more of a brown tone. OG is 1.04. Kids cleared the house when I started lol. I suppose the aroma of beer brewing is an acquired taste. I started with a tad more than a 5 gallon yield this time to offset any loss like I got with my 1st.

We'll see how it goes...............

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1765
1040 seems a little low?
What final are you aiming for?
Did you fully rinse the grain bag? Lots of goodness in there just waiting to come out.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23795
Well the instructions clearly stated NOT to squeeze the bag when removing but only to let the water drain down. So I didn't apply any pressure to the bag at all. Since I added an additional 1lb of malt to this batch like my first one I assumed it will have similar affects to my final ABV. I'm still learning and I'll chalk it up as growing pains. Eventually I won't need the step by step instructions and the whole process will be as easy as fixing cereal in the morning lol.

And 1.04 is low to me as well. The kit states an OG of 1.042 - 1.046 was normal. I might have read it wrong seeing as there was a good bit of clinging bubbles to the side of the meter. Like I said we'll see.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1769
Right:: Don't sqeeze the grain bag. However, rinsing.....I think called 'sparging' is quite allowable.

Was the grain you used fermentable? Or for color / texture?
Stuff like 'chocolate malt' is heavily roasted, non-fermentable.

In any case, if you buy the whole grain, be sure to at least crack it under a rolling pin. I have a meat grinder from down Mexico way, which I've modified to just crack the grain. Good times. I like the selections on this page::
http://www.thehomebrewery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=THB&C ategory_Code=SPGRAIN

You can also buy Barley as sproutable....which you can sprout/ dry and than crack for whole grain brewing, OR do what I do, which is simply to roast some in the oven. Experiment with small batches on a cookie sheet for this one.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23796
The grain was pre crushed for me. I'm assuming the grain is why the color is darker. Then again if I remember correctly my wort was dark on my first batch also. It lightens up a good bit between fermentation buckets.

I'll say this though about this batch. WOW what a difference in C02 release. It's like a volcano lol. 1st batch was a slow but steady bubbling. This batch won't shut up! Literally every second she bubbles.

I guess that means the yeast is doing its' job.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23797
Man that website is a candy store! So much to choose from. Great prices too. I might have to look into buying some of their grains for flavor. The DME and LME as well as the sugars I can get locally at a reasonable cost.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1775
I brewed some 'kitchen sink' ale once....It erupted for about 10 days, settled down for another 10 days than let me bottle soon after.
It was about 1080 or 1090 OG and bottomed about 1015 for over 8%.

Yes, about grain color. Here is link to current method....old school is 'Lovibond' scale.
http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Standard_Reference_Method

Grains are rated as xxxL the 'L' is how dark they are.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23798
I'm going to shoot a quick vid to show the bubbling. Be right back.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23799

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15712
I picked up all 5 saw movies from best buy on blu ray for 8 bucks each....im happy

interesting bubbles there paul

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23821
Moved this batch into my carboy tonight. Early? I think so. After the 2 day eruption you see ^^^^ it went almost dead. I was afraid of it going into stuck fermentation. Also took a gravity reading of 1.01. That means if it holds steady this batch will have a ABV of 3.97%. Much lower than anticipated but we have secondary fermentation yet.

I wonder why the batch peaked early? Shoot on my 1st batch I waited twice as long before using the glass carboy. 21 days until bottling too. This batch seems to be moving along much quicker.

Also has a much lighter color than my first. A dirty yellow as apposed to the cider tone the first one had.

Steady as she goes.........

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1782
Some brewing friends tell me that even if they try to do the same batch exactly the same, it never quite works out. Sometimes close, sometimes not.
Weather, temp, humidity and all the cooking and yeast pitching variables.

All the commercial brewers spend a lot of time and money making sure they do the same thing every time.....to get the same beer every time.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23827
I'm ok with a different style with each batch. I chalk it all up as experience anyway. Shoot down the road I may want to try wine. At least my Father-in-law will be over alot more lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1786
I think I've taken it to an extreme.
I don't measure....except the gross amount of water. I will buy however much of whatever on a whim and decide when I'm at the brewstore. I don't have any goals in mind when I go in. I've never thought to myself.....'Man, I'd sure like to try an IPA today.'
I don't keep records.....at least not written.
It's all good. Everything is drinkable and nothing goes to waste.
I DO always include at least a little wheat and honey.
But that's just me.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23837
Been spending some time on Youtube and I think I'd like to give hard cider a try. I have all the equipment needed and seeing as it's an easier process than beer it should be fun. Going to use pure 100% apple juice to start with (no additives or preservatives) and some corn sugar. Then add the yeast and ferment like beer. ABV yield should be anywhere from 10-15%!

I know I know. I haven't even tasted my first beer batch yet and I'm already anxious to try something different lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1800
Buddy and I were in Michigan on holiday and brought back a couple gallons of unfiltered apple cider. Why not, we thinks? got a 6-pack of Pepsi bottles, rinsed 'em out, filled with cider and sprinkled in some yeast. Capped 'em a little tight, too, since we were like 14 and 16, respectively and had NO IDEA what we were doing. 2 EXPLODED outright in the next week or so. The rest? Awful. I'm thinking apple flavored, carbonated vinegar Fed it to the dog, who seemed to enjoy the change of pace. So too, later, did the lawn.

You may want to use Champagne or Wine yeast....it'll tolerate a higher alcohol concentration.

Also on you list should be 'Barley Wine'.....which I'm quite partial to.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23839
Yup yup on the champagne yeast. Been looking on the website you posted a link to and it's relatively inexpensive stuff. Might get the corn sugar from there also. Before my daughters soccer game today I'm going to stop by the joint where I got my bottles and see what they have in price comparison.

In the mean time I'll start saving Snapple bottles with the caps. Once rinsed out they would make the perfect vehicle for storage after fermentation. Got to remove the labels though. Wouldn't want my son to grab one by mistake and start jugging lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23841
Wow was I on a mission to find apple juice that DIDN'T have preservatives or came from concentrate. Seemed every brand the stores had was processed or had some sort of additives. I finally found some 100% pure from fresh pressed apples by Mrs. Adler. Bought 3 gallons (1 gallon to start with). Added my sugar, took my gravity reading and pitched the yeast. OG is 1.06 which means about a 7% potential ABV cider. Not bad. Will ferment for a week then bottle. Next batch I will increase my added sugar. Fermenting cider from what I've seen on Youtube is a fairly violent thing. Lots of action and bubbles. Should be fun to follow.

Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1806
How much of WHAT kind of sugar did you add? How much native sugar in pressed apples? Why only a week? Shouldn't you wait for it to subside....like beer wort?
Find a real English Pub and see if they have any of that apple concoction they sell. My English /Scottish friends would buy a gallon of that stuff when in season. A real hard-drinking crew.

I don't know where you live....I live near 'apple country' up in a town called Julien....maybe THAT is where I should go to try to find some fresh-squeezed.
Some states may REQUIRE that all of this stuff be filtered and pasteurized before sale.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23843
I added 1 cup of corn sugar to the mix. My apple juice states no sugar is added. A week is only a suggested fermenting time so I will start with that. More so if it's needed. It was already fermenting/bubbling after only a couple of hours so we'll see how long it goes. The mix now is pretty active and forming a nice head inside the bottle.

The yeast is doing its' job and quick.

And I'm in south Jersey. Apples are not the fav around here. We are famous for our cranberries and tomatoes. Neither of which I consume.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1809
Do you guys grow Cherries?
A Cherry Lambic would be a terrific brew.
I'll look it up......I just had a single glass in Belgium and it was way-good. It is a brewed, beer type beverage.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1904
Saw Due Date last night. Going into the movies, I knew it was not going to be as funny as people thought it would be. I wasn't surprised. Some scenes are a good laugh but just not worth the ticket for theaters. Better to wait this one off for the DVD.

Anyways, the acting by both, Robert Downey JR. and Zach Galifinakis(sp?) was great, as expected. It's mainly the originality of the storyline and and how far from the 'truth' it was is what dissatisfied me. And pretty much most of the funny moments of the movie were already captured in the trailer. This made it even more weak of a movie since i was already expecting certain things to happen.

6/10 from me.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1905
and very nice Paul. Seems like your brew is coming along well and seems like a quite enjoyable experience.

(steelers ehh? they're not doing that bad ; and a new corner TV wouldn't hurt either LOL j/p )

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23846
Lol Skullz. Yeah I'm a Steeler fan 100%. Born there. The Tv? It was something lying around so I decided to use it. Be nice to hang a flat screen behind the bar. Will look into it when the prices drop a bit more.

About the cider, it's really pumping out the C02 now. I mean almost like it's angry. I started with one gallon to test the waters on it. If it's a hit I'll jump into the 5 gallon carboy I have with the cider. I already have friends at work wanting a bottle of it to try when it's done. Although technically illegal I can see myself selling 750 ml bottles of home made cider for $10? Just to family and friends of course.

And cherries? Not really Leo. We do have peach orchards a plenty though. Hmmmm, a home brewed peach flavored liquor. Interesting.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1811
http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/brew/stuff.html

Kind of an overview of belgian styles.
Peaches? No problem. You end up with a Lambic. No a liquor....nope, totally different. A brewed beverage with all the regular stuff. Including Peaches.

A buddy of mine did a Cherry Lambic and reports great results and an incredible amount of labor...pitting the cherries.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23874
Moment of truth tonight. Chilled my beer and cracked the first one. I have to say I was surprised at the result. Color and texture is spot on to normal American beer. Easy drinking with a tad more of a hoppy taste than I'm used to but all in all a very crisp flavor. I think I would try a less potent flavoring hops next time. After only 2 weeks on the shelf before refrigeration it seemed rushing it but carbonation was strong with a very sharp hiss when opening. Nice head after pouring too. ABV is also a bit higher than usual too, which I can taste. The beer also had a very slight cloudy look but I also chilled the glass before pouring. I HAVE to give this initial batch at least a B rating. Well over a month in the making but worth it. No more convincing this chap as I will certainly be continuing this hobby lol.

Now we move onto the cider. As you can see by the pics I have started another gallon batch. After only one week fermenting you can tell the dramatic color change. The first batch is still fermenting strong and it looks like I'll be transferring into a secondary soon for clarity. I bought some wine bottles, corker and corks for storage. I'm just now struggling over whether to prime the cider before bottling to give it some carbonation, like sparkling wine? I'm ok with a still cider but my intention is to bring with me a bottle for my family's annual Thanksgiving dinner. I hope it to be ready by then. Been doing some research and some let their cider sit for months before bottling. I haven't decided on that yet.

Now I'm thinking of diving into playing with some grape juice and seeing what kind of wine like product I can yield lol. The ease of my hard cider was due to the fact that I used pasteurized juice so I didn't have to boil it first. Simply add sugar, yeast and airlock and you're done.

BTW, last pic is of my kids on Halloween. My daughter wanted to be a bride. See her red eyes? Her mother wanted me to photoshop them blue. I said why? It's who she really is lol.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24014
Oh boy did I stumble across a, ummmm, scary vid on wine making lol.

This vid is so full of fail and should have the theme of Psycho playing in the background.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16156
I feel bad that he has the speech problem

Username: Arizona

Post Number: 6
pretty interesting~!! Aha~

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16343
?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24179
Started my 3rd batch of beer yesterday. Trying an Indian pale ale. More of an amber color with a final ABV of 5.75%-6.5%. My OG is 1.055. Pretty high. Today the fermentation is exploding. Woke up this morning to find beer shooting out the air lock in a wild frenzy. Foam everywhere. The lid to the bucket has domed due to the pressure. I'm afraid to remove the airlock to release the pressure. Might end up with a geyser lol. Removed the blanket I had around it in hopes to drop the temp a bit to slow the fermentation. Hope it works. For now all I can do is keep changing the towel I have around it to pick up the excess.

Man what a sticky mess I would have if the bucket explodes all over my bar. Think I better move the bucket to my shop lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us