MTX Thunder 1501d

Bronze Member
Username: Ne0nblakk

Des Moines, Iowa USA

Post Number: 45
Would this overpower 2 Shivas, or would it be ok? I'd kinda like shivas for the SQ (which I hear is great), but I can also go for tempests, which would run perfect on that amp, but I haven't heard anything of SQ for the tempests. What do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 294
i beleive tempests are almost strictly SPL subs, not 100% on that...the tempest is a naughty sub and when powered right it looks like it could break some stuff...its from adire though so they probably gave it some SQ...i'm sure its better then an audiobahn...

MTXpert
Unregistered guest
The 1501d will over power 2 shivas....go with the Tempests....their great subs also.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1558
Both of those subs need considerably less power than their Thermal rating. A MTX 1501D would be more suited to powering Brahmas. Shivas typically need about 300W RMS to get to full excursion, Tempests usually somewhere closer to 400. You'll be overpowering either sub. Tempests are similar to a Shiva in SQ, just deeper, with more SPL and more characteristic of a 15" in sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Ne0nblakk

Des Moines, Iowa USA

Post Number: 46
Hmm...not sure what to do now. I kinda wanted to thunder 1501d cause I was thinking of going up to a brahma in the future. Hmm... well, if tempests have good SQ as well, maybe I'll go for a couple tempests and an MTX Thunder 801d instead. Save about $100 on the amp that way. If I decide to go up to a brahma, I'll just have to sell my 801d and tempests. heh

Bronze Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 27
The 801d could probably still power a Brahma...if in the right enclousure....correct me if I'm wrong Jonathan.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1563
No, the 801D wouldn't work with a single Brahma. The Brahma is a dual 2 ohm sub, leaving you either 1 or 4 ohm load options. With those amps, it's either two subs to run at 2 ohms, or one running at 4 ohms. If you want a Brahma, you'll need the 1501D. I'd personally get the 1501D and a single Brahma, and if you want another in the future just save up for that.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 261
That's right....thinking it was dual 4ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudiofng

Houston, TX

Post Number: 263
At least I'm not the only one....who doesn't know everything
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us