Is This Possible?!

seightgtr05
Unregistered guest
I am in a toss up on subs,
I know that ED(elemental designs)had an awesome sub with the e.12.a do they have anything that can compare to those anymore, since they discontinued them? I have also been checking out these...

ID MAX 12's
Brahma 12's
SoloX 12's
ED's?
Audiobahn......<--just kidding

I am planning on using a P.G. 1200.1 Xenon or Titanium, to power 2 12's(maybe just 1 sub???)I have heard these (the P.G.'s)and have been reccommended to them from the elemental designs tech guy, and they sounded great.
Pending on sub I will be building my own box, slot ported or sealed when you give your recommendation would be great to. It'll be in a sedan if that helps anyones recommendation, Intrepid if that helps more.

P.S. I'm looking to get awesome SQ but also want to be able to be heard from the next block.....is that possible with any of these..If not then what?!?!

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 141
brahmas have great SQ and SPL...but X.X.X.'s have more SPL (higher xmax) and a little less SQ, (not much less though)...if you want loud and clear u may wanna look at them, they are about the same price as brahma's.

as for soloX's...i think they are a waste of money, nowhere near the SQ of brahma's and they take way too much power to get loud.

ID Maxx's are good too, not sure on the price though...

if you go w/ brahma or RE x.x.x. 12's i'd say vented boxes bout 2 cuft each tuned to around 30hz...you can run a program like winISD to help you create a box.

by the way, would you have room in that intrepid for a 4 cuft box?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1528
Shoot yeah he would, those cars have enormous trunks. Reminds you of old 60s Fairlanes that you can sling dead bodies in. I'd go between the ID Max and the X.X.X., X.X.X. is loudest of the bunch. At what ohm does the Phoenix Gold put out 1200 watts?

Bronze Member
Username: Cbigchrisb

Post Number: 34
marshall, what makes your informaton valid? have you heard all the subs that you listed? what applications were they in? not really trying to start anything but alot of the same subs are being recommendend by the same people and everyong says the same thing. there are alot of people acting like fanboys and know nothing.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 142
i know what you mean chris.
there are some people recommending subs they have never even seen, let alone heard.

ive heard many of the other subs in many different enclosures and vehicles. (not the ID maxxes though...thats why i'm unsure of them, but i've only heard good things)

as for the SoloX...its just a power hungry sub, and the square cone cuts down in SQ. but it will get loud.

also, i own a brahma and i am amazed by it. much better that any of the w7's ive heard...I've had it in both sealed and ported boxes.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1533
My opinion on all of them is that the ID Max performs similar in SPL to a Brahma(the difference is below 1 db, ID Max actually displaces more air), I feel it has better midbass transition than all of them, as well as tighter bass in upper freqs., deep bass doesn't seem to be quite as authoritative as a Brahma or X.X.X, it's all about the enclosure, though. Very good sub, it's funny that it's the one sub on the list that doesn't promote unique more extreme motor technologies, yet a lot of people still seem to feel they sound better. ID Max is more old school, longer voice coil, low mass cone, etc. compared to the XBL^2 underhung based design(not a bad design by any means, it's fantastic, just stating a point). The Brahma is a better performer at loud volumes and retains linearity with higher excursion better. Brahmas and X.X.X. have extremely good sound quality as well as great SPL. Midbass transition of Brahmas and X.X.X.s is similar to a JL W7 in my opinion, a little better though. They can be a bit muddy depending on where you cross them over at(5.25 components with poor midbass need not be used with these subs), especially in a larger sealed or ported enclosure, but a proper crossover point and capable midbasses will handle this (if you're spending the money on any of these subs I'd hope you'd have good components up front anyway). SoloX, slow, inefficient sub, not sound quality oriented by any means, and SPL definately doesn't live up to the hype honestly. You'll hear idiots talking about "tv screens cracked, my doors literally blew off, I knocked glass off my friends counter, he was a mile away, etc." Just talking sh*t, most don't even own the sub yet alone have heard it. It suffers problems that all square designs do, uneven stress points, limited excursion due to surround design, lead slap, added distortion. 2500 watts RMS should push a sub much better than this. With that much power, you're getting into Eclipse Titanium Pro range, which will walk all over the SoloX.

Bronze Member
Username: Cbigchrisb

Post Number: 35
great feedback guys. also jon, never heard the ti or the pro. how do they rank up against the others in spl? can the pro still be good for daily driver? i can get a deal on the ti and get them about $300 less than market.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1534
The Pro isn't all that great for SQ, SPL is awesome though. I've heard people hitting mid 150s with just one 15" Pro ported, Eclipse also has an 18". It was in a hatchback, though, with a good bit of sound deadening. Rated at 3000W RMS, and can take more than that. The regular Titanium is a great SQ/SPL sub, much better for a daily driver. Gets very loud as well, SPL of the Titanium is similar to the others, pretty close to the X.X.X. actually, it's been a while since I had Titaniums in my car so I can't really say which will hit harder. If you can get that deal on them I'd say go for it, it's a fantastic sub. Doesn't do as well on midbass as the ID Max and such, kind of muddy when approaching 80-100 hz region at times, again depending on the box.

seightgtr05
Unregistered guest
Does the intrepid have room for a 4 cu ft box??? Damn right it does, that and like Jon said that box, plus a couple dead bodies. And my toolbox.

Yea I have a infinity 6.1 perfect componet system, first thing i put into that car. The PG on the website it says exactley this
1200 x 1 (4-1 ohm)it's a monoblock, I heard that and the discontinued titanium series 1200.1 which is a class a/b but is almost double in price.
So im planning on going with the xenon.

But from your posts im getting about the same on either the idmax or the brahma, so which do you think now with the info i just gave you?
I myself am leaning towards the IDMax but everyone really had the same to say about both which was they were really good, anything you can think of that would make one better than the other?

also any word on the elemental designs anyone????

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 143
like i said...never heard the IDMax, i pretty sure john has though.

all i hear is good about it though.

as for eD...i dont hear much about them anymore...really not sure bout em.

whether you go w/ brahmas, x.x.x.s, or IDMax is up to you. No matter which u choose, a pair of those 12's on that PG amp would be nice.

seightgtr05
Unregistered guest
ok maybe this will help, between IDmax, Brahmas and the X.X.X.'s, all of their SQ are roughly the same, with the X.X.X. slightly behind the others, which will also give me the most authority from those poor bystanders or those people thinking their sony's or rockfords can touch my system?Which will give me the awesome SQ but also have the BUMP to back it up.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 144
the x.x.x. will displace the most air of the three, thus it has more SPL potential. it also has good SQ too (much better than rock and sony), not very far behind the brahma as far as SQ at all.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1537
Ok then, really any of those subs would work off that amp since it's regulated. Not as familiar with ED's newer stuff, or a lot of their older stuff for that matter. I've heard the older A series and it was a very good sub, but I really didn't get any time to test it out for comparison, from the short time I heard it, I still like the ones I mentioned above a little better. I don't really feel that the X.X.X. is behind the others in SQ actually, I like it better than the Brahma personally, but that's just me. In your situation, I'd do a single X.X.X. or Brahma, possibly two, it depends on the enclosure you use. The ID Max is a great sub, but rated thermally at 1000W RMS, and does reach it's potential with that, the Brahma and X.X.X. are better performers at higher volumes IMO and can handle more power thermally. You'll definately get full potential out of a single X.X.X. or Brahma with 1200W RMS, with 600W each you may or may not, just depends on the enclosure. It usually takes around 800-900 to reach full potential, 1200 will work great around tuning, just make sure to use a subsonic filter so you won't kill the sub with it's own excursion. I'd personally do a single X.X.X. ported, tuned to 30 hz if you want more SQ, 35 hz if you want SQ/SPl, with a subsonic filter on it. Around tuning you'll get tons of output from either sub and it will sound extremely good. Assuming an X.X.X. or Brahma, SPL in an Intrepid will likely be around 140+ with the single sub ported, that's if the trunk is coupled with the cabin (take rear speakers out, allow the air to pass through to the cabin).

seightgtr05
Unregistered guest
OK so what im gettin now is to go more with the Brahma or the X.X.X., and aparently the X.X.X. slightly more, i thought it was going to be the IDMax at first, but...hmmmm..what about the RE MT anyone heard those, will that work with my amp application ok, SQ any good to go with the SPL on those?Now im almost thinking two brahmas or one X.X.X/MT....Whats anyone have to say about that configuration?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us