Laptop in a truck?

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

La United States

Post Number: 11
Could you put a laptop computer in your truck(or vehicle)and play music from it through your head unit.Or could you just use the computer as the head unit?

Username: Injohneer

Tulsa, OK

Post Number: 2
Several ways to do this. I simply added RCA audio switch from Radio Shack inline between my HU and amps. The HU goes into channel 1, the output goes out to the subs. Additional devices can be connected to channels 2,3, etc...

The easiest way to hook up a laptop is probably to use an RCA-to-1/8 jack, which can plug right into your laptop's headphone jack. (The picture is wrong on that last one, but the wording is correct. Buy in person to get what you want.)

By the way, this is a great way to watch movies as well...

I also have an inverter in my truck so I can run the computer if the battery is low. But having it running distors the sound (due to a bad wiring setup, I'm sure).

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 27
Thanks John I will try that.Can you use the computer as the headunit,like run everything off of the computer,all your speakers and amps,ect.And get rid of the Hu all together.Just put the computer in place of it all?

Username: Injohneer

Tulsa, OK

Post Number: 3
Well yeah, if you can get your computer to fit, lol...

You wouldn't even need the switch in that case, just the cable to go from your audio output on the computer to your amp inputs.

This is assuming you have amps... If you don't have amps, then the only ways I can think of offhand to do this would be:

1) plug the laptop into your HU's auxillary port (which it probably doesn't have) or
2) use one of those cd player/walkman - to - tape converters and plug it into your laptop instead of the cd/walkman

Basically, if you don't have either the head unit or your amps, the computer won't have enough power to drive the speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us