Tricky question

ausmatt
Unregistered guest
Hi there,
Ok, I have a 1997 Ford Explorer that I bought second hand from an auction here in AUS. Originally there was a CD staker mounted under the seat but it must of been stolen before the auction, so I bought one off eBay making sure the plug is a 13pin DIN because that is what the plug sitting in the back looks like.

I've connected evrything up as needed but there seems to be no power running through the cd staker because the magazine doesn't open. I pulled apart the dash to see if there were any loose connections and to my discovery mounted on top of the factory head unit is a small clarion unit wich the cd staker is pluged into.
I checked the plug to see if it was in properly and it is but I also noticed the power wires running out the clarion unit seem to be connected wrong.
The yellow wire is connected to a blue wire with a white strip on it and the red wire is connected to a yellow wire with a black strip on it and the black wire (ground I assume) is connected to the black wire like it should. I've installed 2 head units in my short life and I'm almost convinced that the striped wires mean they are speakers and not power wires. Also the antenna plug connects into the clarion unit then runs into the factory head unit and the radio seems to work fine like that.
Has there been a wiring problem here?
Should I re-connect the wires to there corrosponding colors?
I hope I have suplied enough information on the problem if you need more please ask.
Cheers
-Matt

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4585
Are the head unit and CD changer made by the same company/same brand?

ausmatt
Unregistered guest
No they are not, the head unit is just the standard Ford unit and the cd staker is a Sony, but to my understanding the previous staker that was there was a Phillips.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4622
just because the DIN cables match up, doesn't mean they used the same pin out configureation.
that's your problem. you need to get the right changer (stacker) for the ford head unit.

ausmatt
Unregistered guest
What do you mean about the right stacker? There are heaps of different stackers with 13pin DIN configurations, I thought because its a Ford unit any stacker should work scince Ford dont make stackers.
I could cut the cable and use my volt multimeter to check which wire is which and just have a bit of a fiddle, but would it be worth it? Or are they maybe 2 completly different wire configurations? Thanks for your help

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4646
cut the DIN cable and you'll ruin the shielding.
you assumed incorrectly about the stacker's DIN cable.
Ford subcontracts some other audio company to make the CD changers for them.
Only that particular changer, or possibly a few models made by the same company will work with that head unit's DIN connection and controls.
Sorry ya had to find out after buying the changer, but it's always good to ask first.
You may want to look on eBay or similar places for a used CD changer from a Ford. A lot of folks sell the stock units when they put in an aftermarket audio system.

ausmatt
Unregistered guest
Ok, thanks anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us