VMAX 12"...

Username: Xrichardx

Post Number: 1
First off, let me say that I'm fairly new to the subject of subs. I've been looking to get some for my 99 GMS Sonoma regular cab(pretty small), and I've found this site very helpful. I was looking at getting a Kicker Solo Baric L5 10" sub, and a PowerAcoustik GothikSeries 460W amp(http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=powov2820&store=&catid=306). By looking at this site and reading alot, I've changed my mind. I'm now contemplating 2 VMAX 12" DVC's. My question is: Are 2 12" subs overkill for my little truck. I don't want too much bass... And is that amp fairly good? I don't want to spend too much on an amp, but I want my system to sound good. I was thinking about a BP600.1, but I dunno if I want to spend that much money. Will it really be that much better than running that other amp? Lastly, how much space would those 2 12" subs need? I don't have much room behind my seats, and I want to build my own box. Can I put both in the same non-ported box, or should I build 2 different boxes? Thanks in advance guys, you all know your stuff.

XrichardX

Bronze Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 98
first of all, measure how much room you have behind your seats. this will give you a general idea of what depth you can work with. the 12" Vmax requires 6inches of depth, and needs 1cuft PER sub. sorry to tell ya this but that poweracoustik amp is crap. it might put out for awhile, but it will burn up quicker than you think. the bp600.1 on the other hand is an awsome amp, but hard to come by. the 2 12"s in your small car would slam, but if you think you want to save a little money and to make sure you have enough room for the subs themselves, take a look at the 10" model of the Vmax. they only require 5 5/8ths of an inch for depth, not a huge difference but it might be in your truck. also, those only require .75cuft per sub meaning a smaller box. you could look for a nice 400watt amp to power them. how much are you willing to spend on just the subs/amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 17
if you dont want too much bass, why not just start with one sub? or maybe 2 10's. if the sub's gonna be in the cab with you, you really dont need all that much power. i have a 600 watt mtx in the trunk of my cadillac, and thats plenty... plus an amp for my speakers... otherwise i wouldnt even be using all 600 watts. i have a really big car and my subs are in the trunk, but your subs are gonna be right there with you!
if i was you, and not looking for that much bass, id just try one 12" and a 400w amp. if thats not enough, add another 12. hell, you might not even need that much power. why waste your money if one sub is plenty?

Post Number: 2
At the bottom of my seats, there are 10 1/2 inches to my seat. 12" up from the bottom, there is only 6" to my seat. There is 2 1/2 feet of room from one side of the truck to the tire kit, but I may remove the kit to free up the whole area behind the seats. Is a box that's 2 1/2 feet wide, 12" tall with a base of 10 " and 6" on the top large enough. If I pulled out the tire kit and made the box the full width of the cabin, I could put both subs in the same box right? I am willing to spend around 300 on subs/amp, but may be willing to spend more so that I get a good amp. Are the DVC's that much better than the SVC's? I can find a pair of 12" VMAX SVC's for $160. Or would I be better off going with 2 10" VMAX DVC's for $145? Or maybe just 1 12" DVC for $85. I want fairly good sound for not a whole lotta' money. Do you think that I would be better off going with just one 12" or two 10's?
I'm leaning towards one 12" DVC, because it would be cheaper for getting an amp. Speaking of an amp, what would you reccomend. I don't want to spend more thatn $200 for an amp. I was wondering if this Clarion amp is any good(http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=claapx4012&store=&catid=306). Thanks a bunch guys. You really are great.

Bronze Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 100
wow i just typed a book for a responce and i got some error and it erased it all..lets try this again. ok, the only difference between the DVC and SVC model of the VMAX is the wiring options. the DVC has a couple extra options but if you find the right amp id go with the SVC so you save a little cash. i would suggest taking out the tire kit if your thinking about the 2 10s so theres more room for a box. this amp would run the 10's at 2ohms giving each sub 250watts (a little more than needed but not enough to do any harm)http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13126 and its under 200$ the amp you listed above wont give the subs enough power so thats a no go. you can get a pair of the 10s for 150$ shipped from here http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13947 you want the SVC model if you decide to go with the amp i suggested. the idea of 1 12" is something to consider also. it would save you some cash but wouldnt bump as hard. it all depends on what your looking for. you could run 1 12" DVC @ 2ohms or 1 12" SVC @ 4ohms. just make sure you stay away from cheap brands for amps(pyle, pyramid, lanzar..etc) if the pirce seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. so the decision is yours, let us know what subs you decide on first, then we can give you some more ideas about an amp to push them/it. good luck!

Post Number: 3
Can I run a Mono amp to 2 subs? I thought I needed a 2 channel amp if I wanted to use 2 subs... Like I said I'm really new to this.
So the 2 10" SVC's are the best bet? But I can buy those subs and that amp, and they'll make my truck bump? Does anyone know a site to find out what measurements my box would have to be to have enough cu ft for these subs? I'll probably end up getting that sub/amp combo, and a pair of tweeters for now. I'll probably leave my components alone for now, and upgrade later if I think I need to. This may sound dumb, but can I hook more amps for running my components and tweeters later if I decide to? I'm a little confused as to how all of the channels and everything runs from my head unit. If there are any good sites covering this, please post a link. Thanks again ryan c.

Silver Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 101
yes you can run a mono amp to two subs. no the 2 10 inch SVCs are not the best bet, 1 15 inch vmax will hit harder than 2 10's.

Post Number: 4
Problem is I don't have space for 15's. Do I need anything to run a mono amp to two subs? I also need info on what exactly I need to buy. I want to buy everything that I'll need to setup my subs when I buy them. I don't want to get them and find out that I need more parts. I was going to buy the amp kit from a local store. Do I need anything else? Thanks.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 101
i agree david, the 15" would hit harder but like richard said, it would be hard as hell to get that into his sonoma. rich, the only things youll need to hook up those subs/amp are the wiring kit and speaker wire. if you decide to upgrade your components later (which i suggest you do, the difference between stock and upgraded components is HUGE) you would most likely need to run a seperate amp for them. you can get great prices from this site on wiring http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOLAK4 $37.50 shipped..im sure thats cheaper than the place you were considering, and they ship out very quick. i was looking for the box dementions you would need to get .75cuft per sub but i was unable to find them. ill continue looking around for you and post back when i find them. BTW, by no means is this a shitty system. as almost everyone on this forum will tell you, the vmax is the best sub in its price range. you wont be hittin competition dBs but it will sound awesome. best of luck and ill post back when i find those dementions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us