Alpine Type R, set up advice whats wrong?

Adam C
Unregistered guest
I just got a Alpine type r 12inch SWR1241D DVC 4 ohm each. I am very disappointed with its performance. I am using a power acoustic LT980 980w max 560rms at 2 ohm amp with a 1.2uF capacitor. My box is sealed with .7 cu ft, reccomended is .7-1.0 cu feet. I tried wiring the DVC in series and parallel still no improvement. Is my box too small? or is this a sub that just dosent preform well? from what ive read the sub is good SQ with ok SPL which is what i want. What set up should i use with the DVC and the size of my box? I have swaped in other sub and box setups and they sound good and are loud so i know that the rest of the sys is good. what dose every one else with type Rs use Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 98
man, with 560 watts rms to a single type r is more than plenty. you may be overpowering it. anyway, from your post, your amp is stable down to 2 ohms. just wire the sub to two ohms, and that will draw the maximum amount of watts from the amp. also, i don't really like power acoustic, and so do other peeps on this forum. since you have that amp already, just use it. you can try to port the sub. that will squeeze more out of the sub, if all you're going for is loudness. .7 for a type r is kind of small in my opinion. for instance, i have two type r's, slot ported, and my ears literally are taking a pounding. after i listen to them for about 15 min in my car, my ears hurt. and yea, i think the type r has good sq and decent spl. i haven't got them metered but they are very well loud. all i can recommend is try that sub in different boxes, and try another amp.

Adam C
Unregistered guest
Im going to try a new box with about 1.0cuft sealed. Any other input would be great....
Should i give the sub time to "break in" if that will make much of a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 99
yea, you should let your subs break in. it will loosen up the sub a bit more so the sub can move to the bump. breaking the sub in will make a difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us