Amp blows fuse and protection light comes on

Username: Slimm_from_ga

Post Number: 1
ok here's the details first. i have a 2005 ford freestyle..its a crossover 2nd and 3rd row folds so i take speakers and amp out alot but never unhook any wires from ground,battery, nor remote. So i hooked everything back up and i started blowing amp fuses bck to bck. now i have a 60amp inline fuse by battery and another 60amp infuse right before amp plus amp itself has (2) on one/and (1)on other every time i hook amp up it blows amp fuses..i unhook speaker wire so only thing connecting is +12.blue,blk and it still goes from green to red...made different ground under car on chassis used sand paper to see chrome....checked both inline the fine no need to check remote cause its on. try using two different amps but both do same thing..put new FUSE IN connect power and pop goes the fuses i even popped one of the inline today replaced it and two amp fuses and connected power and pop goes amp fuse.. Again only thing hooked up is +12,remote,blk no speaker wires are on amp...im lost never had a issue like this before

Username: Juan_xtc_steenkamp

Johannesburg, Gautwng South Africa

Post Number: 2
Howzit.

Sounds like you have a dead short to ground on your power transistors (Mosfets) Open back of amp and start testing Transistors closest to Power input Terminals. Should find 1 or 2 that is measuring 0 Ohms between legs.test all the transistor in the same way.(First leg to 3rd leg should give you a 0 Ohm reading.You will find that all of them measures a short on same legs. After removing the one with different reading than all the others.You will find that the short on other transistors is gone. If this is the case. You might have touched screwdriver to Amp casing on re-installation when you connected powercable. Happy Hunting. Hope you find faulty transistor quick.While you got Multimeter in hand. Sommer test other transistors on board (output and Rectifier circuit.) None of them should messure anything close to 0 Ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us