How many speaker per channel @ 2Ohm???

Username: Kemikal

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm new to this site and had a scan through to see if i could find anything that resembles my query, but i couldn't find anything, so here i am!

I've purchased a new head unit and a small setup for my car containing the following...

- 2 x 6x9's @ 250rms
- 2 x 16cm components @ 175rms
- 1 x 2ch amp 300rms @ 2ohm
- 1 x 2ch amp 200rms @ 2ohm

...on the basis that i can run it al @ 2ohm and get the maximum for my money, GREAT!

It's been awhile since i last did any car audio, and when it came to planning the wiring, i'm not sure whether i've over purchased, or i'm just thinking too much into it and assuming wrongly.

So, my question is, if i run the speaker sets in parallel, does that mean they'll just take up one channel each, so i can run the 2 pairs, from the 2 (300rms @ 2ohm) channels?

If not, and i just connect them one to each channel, this will be a lower wattage @ 4ohm, right? ...so how would i run them @ 2ohm?

Thanks!

Username: Mudflaps

Post Number: 3
I think you mean WRMS; sounds like you are preoccupied with wattage claims made by manufacturers.. I find these to be largely a means of marketing when it comes to 6x9's and smaller component sets. While power handling is an important part of system design, it is not the first thing I would look at when choosing speakers. It is hard to say what you can do with what you have without model #'s. You could probably run those "16cm" woofers well into over-excursion with 50 watts if you plan on running them full range in the doors.

To produce four discrete channels of sound (LF, RF, LR, RR) you will need to run four amplifier channels. Wiring two identical speakers together in parallel typically means you will be halving the resistance, and they will produce (mostly) the same sounds.

Wiring two different speakers in parallel will do weird things and can be interesting, but is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. Passive crossover networks can be built to accomodate different impedance curves and driver efficiencies, but it doesn't sound like this is what you are into.

Amps running at 4 ohms instead of 2 will overheat less, sound better (more headroom) and it is my guess you will still have far more power than those speakers could possibly absorb without damage, unless you cross them pretty high..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us