Subwoofer is making my lights dim?

Username: Darren12

Post Number: 1
I have a Kicker 40cwr122, soon to be a Sundown E-12. I'm running it at 1 Ohm @ 500 RMS and my lights are dimming in my 2015 Toyota Corolla. It is only my tail lights and the white cabin lights on the top of the car. I did the big 3, and I think it helped, not too sure. My ground is bolted down on my frame on bare metal. I am using 4 AWG oxygen free copper wire. My alternator puts out about 100A so I don't know why this is happening. The one time I measured my voltage it the lowest I saw it drop was like 13.4 and I only saw that once.

I have a capacitor that hasn't been installed (NVX 1 Farad) but I don't know if that would help because no one online seems to think they work. I was thinking maybe once I put my Sundown subwoofer in @2 Ohms that since the amp isn't demanding so much my dimming might go away? I was also thinking about replacing my stock battery with a yellow top but I'm sick of blowing so much money on a little 500 RMS system.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25710
Capacitors only help with bumps in power draw and are not a replacement of production or storage of power, they in fact draw it. They're more of a bling than a fix for anything. Did you check the output voltage from your alt or are you trusting its' specs? What kind of battery are you using and is it up to speed? 500w isn't much today and most stock alts should handle it but a bum battery could easily cause this. Does the car kick over strong? If all your wiring is solid I would start looking at the battery, then alt. Ignore the cap.

Username: Rbluxj00

I think the cap should help, it did with mine at least. I got an 00 cherokee with a 12 Rockford p3 and it was dimming my lights. I installed a cap and it doesn't do it anymore. I don't know what to say, it worked for me.

Username: Rbluxj00

Post Number: 2
I think the cap should help, it did with mine at least. I got an 00 cherokee with a 12 Rockford p3 and it was dimming my lights. I installed a cap and it doesn't do it anymore. I don't know what to say, it worked for me.

Username: Alex_meyer

SacramentoUnited States

Battery my friend.

Capacitors... it's plenty said about them in the whole internet. My two cents is to spare yourself the trouble.

Your alternator should be able to feed everything properly, but remember that it's the battery from where the system sucks the power.

The yellow top is in my opinion the best car battery there is. I did a whole review about it here: http://gear4wheels.com/best-car-battery/

I hope it helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us